20 inch wheels vs 22 in wheels

I don’t like the trend of the tires hanging out of the wheel wells. Makes no sense at all why you would want your tires sticking out into the next lane lol. Combine that with the California squat seen a few of them in NJ barf lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jaychevy81 said:

I don’t like the trend of the tires hanging out of the wheel wells. Makes no sense at all why you would want your tires sticking out into the next lane lol. Combine that with the California squat seen a few of them in NJ barf lol.

I also really dislike negative offsets. Now your wheels act like a pry bar on your ball joints and hub. Not to mention your throwing rocks all over your 0.0001" thick paint. Almost every second Cummins I pass is lifted with 3/4 of the wheel out beside the truck, tow mirrors out lugging along a ghost trailer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jimmyboy8301 said:

Just like black wheels :yuck:
Although “big” is subjective, some people may think 18s are big and a fad

I'm with ya on the black wheels.  Too "rattle can" looking.  I know several people around here who has taken off black wheels for polished and or chrome.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ItsDooomz said:

I don't understand you guys knocking the 22-inch wheels. My truck looked like a Home Depot rental with the factory 18in wheels on it.

20200115_185725.jpg

Yes sir.  So much better.  '18's on my RST.  Before and after.

20190321_125126-1.jpg

20190523_170456.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

I also really dislike negative offsets. Now your wheels act like a pry bar on your ball joints and hub. Not to mention your throwing rocks all over your 0.0001" thick paint. Almost every second Cummins I pass is lifted with 3/4 of the wheel out beside the truck, tow mirrors out lugging along a ghost trailer. 

Very few even attempt, let alone can pass a basic physics course.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/15/2020 at 6:03 PM, ItsDooomz said:

You can't tell me that doesn't look better....

20200115_185635.jpg

I certainly can.  Lowered truck on 22s, big no for me.  Smaller wheels need a more aggressive tire to look better though.  Not necessarily a MT, just not a small diameter narrow highway tire. 

Like I said from the very beginning ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL besides wheel diameter the small wheels ride better and offer better mpg/acceleration. My opinion is they look better too.  If you go from an 18" LT to a 20" p rated tire, that's not a relevant comparison.  

I'm no engineer but I do know rubber has more flex than aluminum.

I had 22s on my Silverado and now my AT4 has 20s.  I actually didn't want the 22s on the Silverado but the package came with it.  Now, after having both the 22s and 20s, I will never buy 22s on a truck again.  Too rough and hard on the truck when you are on rough roads.  I personally think 20s are a perfect balance of looks and function.

55 minutes ago, PackerChev said:

I had 22s on my Silverado and now my AT4 has 20s.  I actually didn't want the 22s on the Silverado but the package came with it.  Now, after having both the 22s and 20s, I will never buy 22s on a truck again.  Too rough and hard on the truck when you are on rough roads.  I personally think 20s are a perfect balance of looks and function.

You probably had the 45 series 22's. The '19 50 series tire type and brand tells the story. Not just 20" to 22". I've had 20''s that were harsh and rode like crap and had 20's that rode great. I've had 22" 45 series Coopers that were harsh. The 50 series Michelin 22's ride amazing. That's fact.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

You probably had the 45 series 22's. The '19 50 series tire type and brand tells the story. Not just 20" to 22". I've had 20''s that were harsh and rode like crap and had 20's that rode great. I've had 22" 45 series Coopers that were harsh. The 50 series Michelin 22's ride amazing. That's fact.

I think the 22 Bridgestone Alenzas ride nice too. I only wish they were a little better in the snow. How are your Michelins wearing? I might switch to them when needed.

1 hour ago, smit303 said:

I think the 22 Bridgestone Alenzas ride nice too. I only wish they were a little better in the snow. How are your Michelins wearing? I might switch to them when needed.

I've always had Bridgestone Alenza 22's (many sets through the years) and 1 set of Cooper. This is my first set of Michelin 22's and have an exceptional ride. By far the best riding and the best 22 you will find. Wearing beautifully and balanced out perfect requiring little weight. I keep the pressure checked (especially winter months) and keep them rotated (life of the tires). They have great treadwear, traction and temp. Won't go back to Bridgestone. Can't attest to the snow.

Edited by mafd2

I certainly can.  Lowered truck on 22s, big no for me.  Smaller wheels need a more aggressive tire to look better though.  Not necessarily a MT, just not a small diameter narrow highway tire. 

Like I said from the very beginning ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL besides wheel diameter the small wheels ride better and offer better mpg/acceleration. My opinion is they look better too.  If you go from an 18" LT to a 20" p rated tire, that's not a relevant comparison.  

I'm no engineer but I do know rubber has more flex than aluminum.
I'm still dying to know how you use your truck "as a truck". Post up some pics of your awesome machine, I'd love to know what a real truck looks like. [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ItsDooomz said:

I'm still dying to know how you use your truck "as a truck". Post up some pics of your awesome machine, I'd love to know what a real truck looks like. emoji23.png

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Don't get so defensive, it wasn't meant as a personal attack. It's my opinion big wheels look bad on a truck, sounds like it's yours that big tires look bad on a truck.  If you lowered your truck and put it on 22s and use it for work you're in the .1%. Most trucks with 22s are  bro'd out with a level kit and mud tire super swampers.  Not a scratch in the bed either as the owner doesn't use it. 

I bet you're in one of those warm states too, if you lived where the temp has 150 degree of fluctuation you're roads would be pretty bad and you may rethink those 22s. The roads I drive don't play well with that setup.  

3 hours ago, mafd2 said:

You speak the truth, there is more to it than just tire thickness. It's why I avoid LT tires on a 1/2 ton.  A good P tire far exceeds what my truck can carry and I don't drive in areas I need the puncture resistance if an LT.