20 inch wheels vs 22 in wheels

My junk is a work truck. I don't drive it to the grocery store, I don't take it to the mall on weekends, it doesn't play in the mud. It goes to job sites and collects big checks during business hours. I've worked too hard to pretend I'm broke driving around on Home Depot rental wheels. And yes, I live in South Florida. I escaped those crappy winners 10 years ago.  Maybe when Im all grow up, I can learn to use my truck "as a truck". ?

12 hours ago, PackerChev said:

I had 22s on my Silverado and now my AT4 has 20s.  I actually didn't want the 22s on the Silverado but the package came with it.  Now, after having both the 22s and 20s, I will never buy 22s on a truck again.  Too rough and hard on the truck when you are on rough roads.  I personally think 20s are a perfect balance of looks and function.

I had 18" on my 14 LT. Now I have 20" on my 19 LTZ, came with the package. I think my previous 18" was smoother than these 20". You are absolutely right. Lower sizes are smoother and more practical, but bigger sizes are more aggressive and beautiful ?

On 1/29/2020 at 12:06 PM, Yondu said:

I certainly can.  Lowered truck on 22s, big no for me.  Smaller wheels need a more aggressive tire to look better though.  Not necessarily a MT, just not a small diameter narrow highway tire. 

Like I said from the very beginning ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL besides wheel diameter the small wheels ride better and offer better mpg/acceleration. My opinion is they look better too.  If you go from an 18" LT to a 20" p rated tire, that's not a relevant comparison.  

I'm no engineer but I do know rubber has more flex than aluminum.

Ride better where?  In corners?  Not likely.  Indeed they do flex (roll) more.  Stiffer tires are far more confidence inspiring on the road.  That's a better ride IMHO.

-Daver

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daverado said:

Ride better where?  In corners?  Not likely.  Indeed they do flex (roll) more.  Stiffer tires are far more confidence inspiring on the road.  That's a better ride IMHO.

-Daver

?Yep. Funny why the Cadillac, Range Rover, Mercedes, Infinity, the $325k Rolls Cullinan SUV and other high end SUV's and cars have large wheels and lower profile tires? I guess they ride like crap too. And small wheels look better??? Please... Imagine how these vehicles would look with smaller wheels and balloon tires...

Edited by mafd2

I put 18" wheels and 305X65 Goodrich T/A's on my 2019 ZR1, with a mild 2" factory lift.  I went 18" for one primary reason, I like to air down when off road or spending a lot of time on rough back roads.  I run at 35 psi on the road, but go down to 23 -25 psi off road, no lower so the bead doesn't "roll" off the rim.  The ride improvement is noteworthy to say the least, less jarring and tail-end bouncing, and the tire just "conforms" to the trail when really 4X4-ing; crawling over the really challenging stuff.  The T/A's have a lot of tread on the sidewall and with the lower pressure you just get a lot more compliance with the surface and much better traction.  It also really helps in sand which you spend a LOT of time on in this part of the country (AZ, UT, NM, some areas in CO).  I also just feel personally that a 4X4 looks better, more "right", with more sidewall on the wheel.  

The down-side of course, is how far on the pavement you have to go to get a decent place pressure station to re-air.  I have had no issues traveling 20-30 miles on the pavement at the lower pressure at 70+mph as long as I keep in mind the lower cornering capability of the truck (minimal).   Them damn little plug-into-the- lighter compressors take forever to air up big tires, so I just drive to the closest service station on the pavement.  Never had an issue with the tires, and I've been doing it for a loooong time on all the 4X4's I've owned over the years.  

YMMV......

On 1/30/2020 at 9:31 PM, protovack said:

22" wheels is insane. 18" is the sweet spot, big enough to accommodate good discs and rotors, but small enough to allow lots of sidewall. Sidewall is really important for a truck!

Meh.  Again it depends on how and where you drive it.  If you do a lot of towing then flexible tires are not really your friend.  Stability and handling are, which you get with less sidewall.  Plus these newer trucks have bigger tires stock than your '16, so 22s on your '16 or my '03 Sierra don't make as much sense as they do on my '19.

Trucks are not all about off-roading.  Sidewall is why I run 20s in the New England winter, and why I ran 16s on my Tahoe offroad.  Summer roads are fine with the stock 22s, even with potholes.  I wouldn't want to try that with 22s on my '03 Sierra but 20s are fine for that.

Edited by Daverado
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 3:08 PM, mafd2 said:

I've always had Bridgestone Alenza 22's (many sets through the years) and 1 set of Cooper. This is my first set of Michelin 22's and have an exceptional ride. By far the best riding and the best 22 you will find. Wearing beautifully and balanced out perfect requiring little weight. I keep the pressure checked (especially winter months) and keep them rotated (life of the tires). They have great treadwear, traction and temp. Won't go back to Bridgestone. Can't attest to the snow.

Which Michelin model do you have?

1 hour ago, George Rojas said:

Good day i just switch my 2019 silverado Wheels from 18- 22 and my pressure sensors turned off can some what let me know what i should do? 

Whatcha mean "turned off"? Be more specific. Did you install the original sensors back or did you get new sensors? If original sensors installed, did you put them back in the same position LF, RF etc? If you got new sensors what sensors did you get?

Ok you're not understanding me.  My question is not about the wheels but about the sensors. Let me simplify the question. Did you take the sensors out your factory wheels and install them in your new wheels or did you get new sensors for the new 22" wheels?

30 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

Ok you're not understanding me.  My question is not about the wheels but about the sensors. Let me simplify the question. Did you take the sensors out your factory wheels and install them in your new wheels or did you get new sensors for the new 22" wheels?

Im sorry no i bought the rims and tires from a friend he had them on 2018 silverado i just  install them as is I did not get them balanced or anything else I just installed them on the truck.  so I assume that's the problem.