Console 12 volt socket

Not a big issue but an annoyance.  The 12 volt socket on the console is not switched.  It always stays powered.  I use a dash cam and I have to unplug it and plug it in every time I drive.  People that use other 12 accessories have the same issue.  It would be nice if GMC would have a powered usb outlet on the mirror assy. or at least a switched 12 volt socket on the console for people that use 12 volt accessories.

Check with the dealer and see if there's a way to move the wire in the fuse over to a switched outlet vs a non-switched. Alot of this stuff should come thru the fuse box and it would be similar to adding a circuit. 

If not you could remove and cap the always on ends and add a switched circuit from the fuse box. Shouldn't take more than a hour tops if even that long. 

Here's a link to another thread where people resolved the constant power issue within the fuse box. A little older than your model, but it may work the same if the wiring didnt change too much.

Bets of luck!

Here's a link to another thread where people resolved the constant power issue within the fuse box. A little older than your model, but it may work the same if the wiring didnt change too much.

Bets of luck!

That's a very large thread on alot of "did you knows" or how to's lumped into one thread. Do you have a specific post number to reference to or close ballpark so one don't have to go thru the 400+ posts on the thread? 

I installed a dash camera making my own hidden switched 12 volt socket. I tapped into Fuse 26 on the passenger fuse box using a micro 3 fuse tap... and then wired a 12 volt socket into the glovebox. There is a ground bolt near the door trim of the passenger floorboard. Works great and its all hidden!a0731cdd6d5c853327bd2559b34cc632.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

If your camera has a USB port, the Female USB-A plug on the dash is switched. Otherwise I agree with bowtie2007, tap into a circuit that is switched, there are plenty of them that offer ample amount of current for a dash cam. Hide the 12v socket under/behind the dash and you don't have any annoying wires visible.

From GM Upfitters. Hope this helps.

Description and Operation Power Outlets Description and Operation 12 Volt Power Outlet Receptacle Description and Operation

The vehicle is fitted with a 12 V accessory power receptacle. The accessory power receptacles are controlled by an ignition operated relay. The accessory power receptacles are operational when the ignition is turned to either the On or the Accessories positions. The X80J and X80K accessory power receptacles may be configured to be operational when the ignition is Off by changing the position of the 50A fuse from the F10DL position to the F11DL position in the left instrument panel fuse block. 

I believe this is why the 50 amp fuse (beside the yellow wire) has an open terminal beside it. Try moving the fuse over the left. I taped in here for my dash cam a month ago then found this section on GM Upfitter. I haven't actually tried it myself though.

image.png.6d1301cd77d4e0921991ae655851433e.png

• Like 2