"2015 Sierra Denali back up camera upgrade?"

Appreciate all the replies, gentlemen. We have a solution, but as Zasker 1 said....it's not a really good one...but better.

To repeat, the stock camera is OK...well...not really. It isn't even wide enough angle to let you see anyone coming from the side in time to avoid them...and for things like hitching up the boat or trailer, no, it's not even "OK". My wife has a 3 year old Mazda 6 and her camera is crystal clear and far wider lens You can actually see a pedestrian 2 or 3 cars away so you won't back into them. Even my daughters older Honda has a better picture.

Yes, I've cleaned and polished the lens to no avail. The resolution just isn't there. If it's 300 lines I would be surprised.  As one who retired from Radio/TV/Film production...I do know a touch about clarity of images and how to achieve such.

My disappointment is... in a $60K truck, they put a $10 camera in it. The connector on the end is worth more than the camera. 

If anyone has tried that $170 camera that "promises" 600 lines of resolution, (which is still way under todays cheapest Chinese dashcams), I'd appreciate a heads up. 

Again, thanks... and I'm hoping we have others who haven't chimed in yet.

P.S. the idea of changing the entire system over to a new one is intriguing, to say the least, and maybe worth $1K or more , to do the upgrade. Grins!
Full radio upgrade with a bose system. You need a headunit, amp.bypass harness and amps or alpine interface module. Idatalink rr and gm3 harness. New radio scotch bezel. Depending on radio price your at 1k

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Has anybody actually tried upgrading to rear camera for 170 bucks I would expect, a crystal clear picture which this product does not provide however it is certainly an improvement.

Given that I just broke my tailgate handle I may be the guinea pig is the cost of replacing the tailgate bezel from GM is on par with the total replacement

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have any specifics on this upgrade?

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

Have any specifics on this upgrade?

I just spoke with the owner, Walt at ADC. He was gracious enough to spend 10 minutes on the phone with me. He didn't know either why better cameras weren't being made for this series of trucks. He did say the reason given to him was the format of the video wasn't the same as newer cameras. Neither he nor I agree or understand that answer. Be that as it may....

The guidelines for their camera are static, however, you can cut a wire and they go away and you will still have your original truck guidelines that are dynamic (at least in my Denali). His guidelines are part of the camera. The original dynamic guidelines  on the GM trucks are a part of the computer screen system...

I ordered the camera. It is a wider angle than original (which is great) and is higher resolution. He has one on his truck....if you go to their product page, you will see the difference and it's his truck that is making the old and newer pictures.

We shall see....but from his comments, I'll be much happier than now.

Thanks, Walt!

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/hd-replacement-camera-for-2014-2015-sierra-silverado/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, videoarizona said:

I just spoke with the owner, Walt at ADC. He was gracious enough to spend 10 minutes on the phone with me. He didn't know either why better cameras weren't being made for this series of trucks. He did say the reason given to him was the format of the video wasn't the same as newer cameras. Neither he nor I agree or understand that answer. Be that as it may....

The guidelines for their camera are static, however, you can cut a wire and they go away and you will still have your original truck guidelines that are dynamic (at least in my Denali). His guidelines are part of the camera. The original dynamic guidelines  on the GM trucks are a part of the computer screen system...

I ordered the camera. It is a wider angle than original (which is great) and is higher resolution. He has one on his truck....if you go to their product page, you will see the difference and it's his truck that is making the old and newer pictures.

We shall see....but from his comments, I'll be much happier than now.

Thanks, Walt!

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/hd-replacement-camera-for-2014-2015-sierra-silverado/

Just FYI for others --

Walt and ADCMobile are great and you will probably get better support from them, but here is the OEM site for the camera if you want more info:

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/2014-2015-sierra-silverado-hd-replacement-camera.html

Edited by sk

I was just browsing ADC Mobile's website and I'd almost be willing to switch my radio out with the Gen II "T" Style unit with the Bose adapter and upgraded camera. You end up getting a larger screen 12.1", plus better video for the backup camera. Downside is $1,644.00+ free ground shipping. If you've already spent about $1K, this doesn't seem to much more for what you're getting. May need to think about this.

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen-iii-t-style-radio-for-2014-19-gm-trucks/

I was just browsing ADC Mobile's website and I'd almost be willing to switch my radio out with the Gen II "T" Style unit with the Bose adapter and upgraded camera. You end up getting a larger screen 12.1", plus better video for the backup camera. Downside is $1,644.00+ free ground shipping. If you've already spent about $1K, this doesn't seem to much more for what you're getting. May need to think about this.

https://www.adcmobile.com/product/gen-iii-t-style-radio-for-2014-19-gm-trucks/
A few posts said it was a little buggy, i didnt go that route. Couldnt justify 1600 on a radio. It does look sweet.

3 minutes ago, cmysstailights said:

A few posts said it was a little buggy, i didnt go that route. Couldnt justify 1600 on a radio. It does look sweet.

I'm sure it can't be any worse than factory with the bugs. I have issues with that thing and getting Carplay to initiate/be recognized on a daily basis. However, I'd probably hit my head on the window after spending that much and it not work as designed. lol After watching some of the install video, there a lot of things that either have to be modified, or don't work the same, i.e. new microphone, new gps for navigation and some speaker that needs to be plugged in.

Think I'll pass and suffer with factory for the head unit, but thinking of still procuring the upgraded camera to plug into the factory unit.

• Like 1

I'm sure it can't be any worse than factory with the bugs. I have issues with that thing and getting Carplay to initiate/be recognized on a daily basis. However, I'd probably hit my head on the window after spending that much and it not work as designed. lol After watching some of the install video, there a lot of things that either have to be modified, or don't work the same, i.e. new microphone, new gps for navigation and some speaker that needs to be plugged in.

Think I'll pass and suffer with factory for the head unit, but thinking of still procuring the upgraded camera to plug into the factory unit.
I swapped out to a pioneer deck. Had to cut behind the radio. Run a harness to under steering column. Install the idatalink and speaker(put that under radio) needed a Amp bypass harness cause i was not spending 400 on the alpine adapter, already had sub installed previously so bought a 4 channel amp. Re used my stock bezel. Right now no back up beeps, have to find a chance to go to dealer and see why park assist disabled. It worked with the first pioneer radio. You lose some info on the 4" display. But now i have miracast and it controls my phone. Android auto wireless, video in motion and now starting to install the rear entertainment for the kids. Im into it for just less than 1000. Even the back up camera which is stock is clearer.

• Like 2

I swapped out to a pioneer deck. Had to cut behind the radio. Run a harness to under steering column. Install the idatalink and speaker(put that under radio) needed a Amp bypass harness cause i was not spending 400 on the alpine adapter, already had sub installed previously so bought a 4 channel amp. Re used my stock bezel. Right now no back up beeps, have to find a chance to go to dealer and see why park assist disabled. It worked with the first pioneer radio. You lose some info on the 4" display. But now i have miracast and it controls my phone. Android auto wireless, video in motion and now starting to install the rear entertainment for the kids. Im into it for just less than 1000. Even the back up camera which is stock is clearer.

For a guy like me with a basic ops truck this really doesn't sound bad. Especially the mirrorcast that is way tf over priced at that one mv whatever company. Which btw has to be the best upgrade[emoji106] any regrets?

For a guy like me with a basic ops truck this really doesn't sound bad. Especially the mirrorcast that is way tf over priced at that one mv whatever company. Which btw has to be the best upgrade[emoji106] any regrets?

No regrets, once i get the park assist squared away for under 1000 i made everything better. The second radio i went with is the nex avic8400 for $600. Doing dvd headrest monitors. I retained all access and stock truck features. Radio does sooo much more and love that miracast controls my phone.f75812e0e5966c0d484f193445bc7524.jpg

• Like 1

No regrets, once i get the park assist squared away for under 1000 i made everything better. The second radio i went with is the nex avic8400 for $600. Doing dvd headrest monitors. I retained all access and stock truck features. Radio does sooo much more and love that miracast controls my phone.f75812e0e5966c0d484f193445bc7524.jpg

Right on[emoji106]

On 2/2/2020 at 3:19 PM, cmysstailights said:

You can but at what cost. I did a full upgrade kept stock speakers for just over 900. And have way more than a factory upgrade would handle. I didnt even wanna spend this much but not many swaps with bose done

did you make a post about the upgrade? any and all information would be great. 

Thanks in advance. 

did you make a post about the upgrade? any and all information would be great. 

Thanks in advance. 
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic?url=https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/233713-radio-upgrade-with-factory-bose/&share_tid=233713&share_fid=33003&share_type=t&link_source=app

Ok. New camera installed. Right off the bat, the picture is better. Is it worth it? To me...yes, but that's a subjective question. I'll know more after I go to hitch up the boat or trailer. If I can get them lined up without getting in and out 4 times, It will be a win for me. 

My only complaint is why do they have to include a pig tail to connect the camera wire to the factory plug in? The pig tail has the factory plug. And that's plug and play. Why didn't they simply make one wire from camera to factory plug-in rail. Like the original? And eliminate another tiny connector, which is a failure point, and a bunch of wire??? Way to much wire. 

Well we shall see how well this tiny connector holds up to weather and vibration. I zip tied the bundle underneath the rail... Protected somewhat by the spare tire. 

Easy install. Just need to drop spare down to get more room to work and do wear safety glasses... Lots of crud drops down into eyes as you are working under there. 

I'll report back more later.