performance muffler

BillCT

Borla just wants your money.

Lots of member have either chopped the stock one out or swapped it with something they like. You'd think they should be plenty of sound clips on the youtubes because these trucks have been out for a while now. I'd maybe look there for possible muffler options.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BillCT said:

Hello, I just bought a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation. It has the duel exit tips in the bumper. Has anybody just put a louder muffler on yet? Borla say it will drone if I don't buy a Cat back sys. 

I’m getting a Flowmaster installed today. Just a muffler swap. Borla is a good brand but they are selling a car back system for $1100 and just want your money. Hey the Flowmaster is like $100 bucks on Amazon. If it drones I will check out a cat back system. But since this is not my first rodeo I will I tell the Flowmaster and save the extra money for other parts. 

3 hours ago, Bob Ross said:

I’m getting a Flowmaster installed today. Just a muffler swap. Borla is a good brand but they are selling a car back system for $1100 and just want your money. Hey the Flowmaster is like $100 bucks on Amazon. If it drones I will check out a cat back system. But since this is not my first rodeo I will I tell the Flowmaster and save the extra money for other parts. 

Let me know what muffler you put on and how you like it, Thanks

9 hours ago, CamGTP said:

Borla just wants your money.

Lots of member have either chopped the stock one out or swapped it with something they like. You'd think they should be plenty of sound clips on the youtubes because these trucks have been out for a while now. I'd maybe look there for possible muffler options.

Thanks

22 minutes ago, e.texerado said:

Can I leave the flappers or is it necessary to cut them out? Thanks for your input.

If you get drone, just look up "helmholtz resonator". Calculate the length that it needs to be to target the RPM range in which you get drone then have it put on your exhaust somewhere there's room.

And presto, no drone!

13 hours ago, BillCT said:

Let me know what muffler you put on and how you like it, Thanks

I got the Flowmaster 50 series delta flow part #943051. Installed today with a few welds and some extra pipe. I have some video that I can splice together but it’s VERY deceiving. What you hear in the video is much less than in person. I will try to review below. 

Start up is louder than stock and the tone is deeper but it drops down quick with RPM and idle sounds very similar to stock. For this I would say stock sound level is a 2 and the Flowmaster is a 4 (out of 10 scale)

Inside driving is more noticeable. You can tell that you are no longer stock but it’s not overbearing. Stock sound is a big fat zero. As you know you almost have to floor it to hear that you have a V8. With the Flowmaster now you can hear the engine with normal driving. The good thing is that when you are playing the radio you won’t be drown out by an overly loud exhaust. Since I took out the flapper too I can now hear when the DFM kicks in and I’m not running in all 8 cylinders. The new trucks don’t show you how many cylinders you are working with but you will know if you change exhaust. So I’m short. Stock=O and Flowmaster =7 great sound when you want it no big drone and quiet when cruising. And pops and gurgles too when letting off the gas. 

Now let’s get to the real sound. Stock we know outside is not too bad but man these trucks are quiet. Revving stock is maybe 2-4 decibel level and some tone. You throw this Flowmaster in and you are at a 9 easy. I’m not sure how they keep the drone down and nice and quiet inside while sounding like it’s in beast mode standing behind it. I had my wife rev a few times and wow I was not expecting. Deep tone and loud enough that everyone knows you don’t have a stock exhaust. 

like I said before the video won’t do it justice like being in person. I highly recommend. I wanted something that I could hear when I get on it but I didn’t want a loud drone when cruising. I’ve had the Flowmaster 40 and it sounded great but was just too loud for my liking inside. While the 50 series delta flow is not as loud as the 40 series I think it’s a good balance between sound and quiet. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 2/3/2020 at 7:25 AM, e.texerado said:

So 3 inch is the correct diameter not to cause restriction ? 

On 2/2/2020 at 2:48 PM, BillCT said:

Hello, I just bought a 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 Elevation. It has the duel exit tips in the bumper. Has anybody just put a louder muffler on yet? Borla say it will drone if I don't buy a Cat back sys. 

I just had a borla muffler swapped into my 2020 TB with the 5.3, I left the flapper to avoid any drone , which I had experienced with my 17 Sierra with the exact set up... well once it was installed my truck sounded just a notch louder above stock I was disappointed ... so I used some exhaust tape and covered all mess screens (resonators)  and wow it’s now sounds like expected ... quite off the pedal but nice deep growl on the pedal ... 

67740AE8-8EDB-457A-8D44-6C6DE09B76C3.jpeg

596BF08C-34A4-4504-8F48-4C8E5A521F9D.jpeg

• 3 months later...

I know you were looking at just a muffler swap but in case if helps you, or anyone else, with your exhaust decision, you can hear what the Borla ATAK system sounds like in this video. Jump ahead to 10:55 just to hear the exhaust.

My impressions: It's loud. cold startup is louder than I'd really like but that goes away quickly when things warm up. I love the tone of it. I hear no done at all. The ATAK catback deletes the flapper (my 6.2 only had 1 flapper) and even without it, no drone. I can't tell when the DFM kicks in, there's nothing that my ears can detect. interior wise its plenty loud when you really get on it, but when just cruising its actually pretty mellow. You can definitely tell you're sitting behind a V8 but I can listen to the stereo without turning it up excessively, I can easily have a conversation with a passenger. I like the burble at idle.

The only thing I can't comment on yet is will it be too loud under heavy load, like hauling a trailer up a hill. I haven't tried that yet.

Borla actually makes the GM performance exhaust, I don't know how that collaboration took place but I'm sure GM made sure Borla built something that would perform well on the truck, especially when it comes to unpleasant noise from DFM and such. I'm sure that knowledge carried through to other cat back models.

Edited by kodiakdenali

Did leaving the flapper on with the ProXS eliminate drone? I removed the flapper and installed the Borla and the drone is awful. Extremely loud inside the cab. 

I have the ProXS, flapper still on and all resonators covered with no drone at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk