Tailgate opening with accidental button bump $$$

jjkGURU

1 hour ago, Vasa1 said:

I just checked my 19 Sierra with the multi pro. No warning with the main gate open but has inner gate open warning. You would think with all that technology, it would tell you the whole gate is open. Oh well. Maybe for the better. Just another thing to faak up.

Ya right.  Especially since the button is there.  No button, no idiot light needed.  Lol

3 hours ago, SILVER SLED said:

I see another McDonalds hot coffee lawsuit brewing.  

Nah, Defense has only two questions: What assurance other than your testimony you don't remember purposely pushing the release button and the actual fault that you don't remember raising and latching the  before driving away.  And why was it that when cycling from Park to Drive that the driver failed to notice that the camera image that automatically pops up in R failed to notice if was pointed down at the ground instead of at any objects behind the vehicle? Case closed no award, pay your own legal and court fees.

Looking for a lawsuit? They're lucky the poor b*stard behind them that ran it over didn't file one.

Edited by Thomcat

1 hour ago, Thomcat said:

Nah, Defense has only two questions: What assurance other than your testimony you don't remember purposely pushing the release button and the actual fault that you don't remember raising and latching the  before driving away.  And why was it that when cycling from Park to Drive that the driver failed to notice that the camera image that automatically pops up in R failed to notice if was pointed down at the ground instead of at any objects behind the vehicle? Case closed no award, pay your own legal and court fees.

Looking for a lawsuit? They're lucky the poor b*stard behind them that ran it over didn't file one.

My comment as more a rip on the accepted ignorance of the general public, but not ripping on op (maybe his wife though).  Have you ever googled McDonald coffee lawsuits?  It’s crazy ....Man breaks into a house while owners are on vacation ends up locking himself in garage and has nothing to eat but dog food for a week.  Sues owner and wins.  Women spills her own drink on floor in a restaurant, slips and falls on her spilled mess, sues restaurant and wins....it goes on.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jjkGURU said:

So did anybody else ever have this happen:

Short story: the button on the center counsel got bumped by my wife’s purse before the truck was put in drive. No dash light, no notification, it just unlatched the tailgate.  Our $650 double stroller slid out of the bed and got ran over.  She didn’t know the gate was down until she got to her next destination, where she called me in tears.  We found the pieces in the road where she pulled out.

So far GM customer care and GMC executive service have been of no help (financial or that this will get fed back to engineering).

If it was something heavier, it could have done serious damage to the cars behind her.  Heck, the stroller could have done some damage to the cars that hit it, but we’ll never know...

More details for guys like me that have questions (lol):

Because it has a tonneau cover (dealer installed) it doesn’t even open when you hit the button - but as soon as she pulled out the main tailgate opened and there stroller slid out of the bed and got destroyed.  

How is there not a light or something that says the gate is down - especially with a button inside the cabin now??  We had a K2xx Denali and currently have 2 T1xx Denalis.  The extra stupid thing that if the tiny top piece of the MultiPro Gate is open (you know the one that nothing that could fall out of...) the dash lights up like a Christmas Tree.

One time, with my 2016 Silverado - I put some things in my truck bed, some very valuable things.  Then I closed the gate in a hurry - didn't realize that I didn't close the gate all the way.  I'm one of those that doesn't like to slam the tailgate shut. I almost always just gently close it till I hear a click.

On this particular day, I could have sworn I closed it completely and heard that click.  Well, 20 minutes after leaving my house and while doing 70mph down the Interstate, I looked in my rear view mirror (no tonneau on that truck) and to my horror, my tailgate was down.   These things happen...one way or another.  It's unfortunate, but it happens.  

The one sin I haven't done, is leave the tailgate down and then back into something.  You see so many trucks with that "V" shaped dent on the top edge of the tailgate, and you know exactly what they did.  Happens to alot of people.

The infotainment system has a touch button that turns the rear camera on while in Drive with an 8 second countdown. Just hit the camera button, lif ooking at ground the gate is down, if looking at traffic behind, the gate is up and locked.

Use it often when having bags of mulch, groceries or other items loaded while I sit in the truck mulch to confirm the gate has been closed by the loader.

19 hours ago, Doolin-Dalton said:

The one sin I haven't done, is leave the tailgate down and then back into something.  You see so many trucks with that "V" shaped dent on the top edge of the tailgate, and you know exactly what they did.  Happens to alot of people.

I figure that's from dropping the tailgate with a trailer hooked up and hitting the jack. 

• Like 1

A tailgate button in the cab is ridiculous, useless and without merit. It shouldn't be there. The only thing worse is an electronic tailgate in the first place. I have one and it's dumb. 

Edited by 99silveradoz71
Poor language choice- received a complaint
  • Like 1

On 2/13/2020 at 9:13 PM, Doolin-Dalton said:

On 2/14/2020 at 4:15 PM, jlong1984 said:

I figure that's from dropping the tailgate with a trailer hooked up and hitting the jack. 

I did the "V" on my old truck.. had pipe in the back and went to ratchet it down and it just crumpled the tailgate with barely any effort. Was pissed. Must have hit a sweet spot.. 

2 hours ago, jjkGURU said:

So does anybody have a GMC with the tailgate open warning or is that only Chevys?

My 2020 gmc AT4 does not have any kind of warning except I tried i in my garage and the outside lights flash just like they do when you hit the button on the tailgate. Will not help if outside and can’t see the lights!