5.3L 6 speed vs 10 speed

Who has made the switch and what are your opinions?   My lease is ending soon and the 10 speed looks like a better option than the 8 speed.  I hate my 6 speed in my 2017.  I would love to get a 6.2 RST,  but they seem hard to find.  So looking at TB or GMC Sierra's since they have the 10 sp trans 

I drove one the other day on a dealer trade. 5.3 10 speed. It was very punchy and I loved it!  I had a GMC SLT, then a Chevy LTZ and now a 2020 pretty much base model 1500 with only 6 speed, which I'm happy with. But driving that 10 speed was like driving my Vette, I couldn't keep my foot out of it. Fun!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 20 TB with 6.2 and the 10 speed. Best motor and transmission I’ve ever owned. Power is amazing. Transmission is smooth and seamless. 

best 25 mile mpg is 20.2 and best 50 is 19. 970 miles so still breaking in. TB lift and tires. No air damn/chin. I live in Maine with cold weather and winter has. So I am very impressed with the MPG. 

My 2019 LTZ with the 6.2/10 speed is great for towing my larger trailer.  My 2016 LTZ with the 5.3/6 speed is more than adequate as a daily driver and for towing my smaller trailer.  If I wasn't towing, I wouldn't have gotten the 2019. 

I haven't driven the 10 spd but I love my 8spd.....smooth as silk and very peppy motor, no issues @ 8500 miles

but of course if I had the option I would get the 10spd....

I'm coming from the a 4L65E 4sp, not the 6sp.  But I can say the 6.2l/10sp is pretty amazing.  And boring. ?

Power and torque on tap at all times.  Super smooth.  Really great for general driving.

What really brought it into focus for me was renting a Hertz Camaro SS that also had the 10sp.

With so many gears you don't really get to enjoy dogging it or really running it through a single

gear all the way, or the kickdown on WOT.  Unless you switch to manual control.  Manual control

isn't much fun either, too many notches to get to a more interesting gear.  One notch just isn't

enough when there are so many and they're that much closer together.

The 10sp makes it feel more like a single-speed electric car IMO.  Which is great.  But not as fun.

-Daver

I had a 2017 with the 5.3L and 6 speed and also hated it.  Actually the reason I got rid of it, liked everything else about the truck.  In a 6.2L with the 10-speed now and it's worth every penny.  10-speed is a great tranny.

8 hours ago, PackerChev said:

I had a 2017 with the 5.3L and 6 speed and also hated it.  Actually the reason I got rid of it, liked everything else about the truck.  In a 6.2L with the 10-speed now and it's worth every penny.  10-speed is a great tranny.

Hated it????

i've had my 10 speed 6.2 for a week weeks now and i really like it! shifts smooth and a good bit of low end grunt. 

I was worried with 3.23 gears.. i had 4:10s before and 3.73 before that but i was told the new 10 speed has a lower first gear. 

fuel economy is pretty good so far. probably better than a 5.3 8 speed thus far.

On 2/23/2020 at 12:16 AM, steelhauler said:

Who has made the switch and what are your opinions?   My lease is ending soon and the 10 speed looks like a better option than the 8 speed.  I hate my 6 speed in my 2017.  I would love to get a 6.2 RST,  but they seem hard to find.  So looking at TB or GMC Sierra's since they have the 10 sp trans 

I made the switch in November. 16 5.3 6speed to a 20 5.3 10 speed. I did not have any problems with the 6 speed in 27K miles. I did not want an 8 speed so I opted for the 4WD which had the 10 speed standard. So far I do not have any complaints. The trans shifts fine and you can barely tell it's shifting most all the time. Unless you get down on it. As for fuel mileage though. The 20 turns less RPM at speed than the 16 did. The 20 also has start/stop. I have NOT seen any fuel mileage savings between the 2 trucks which I find to be odd.

Unless pulling I’d rather just stay with a 6 speed. The test I’ve seen so far the 10 speed is slower due to TM to 60. As long as you can stay in the TQ range why add gears and expense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, mike5511 said:

Hated it????

Yes, compared to any other vehicle I've owned it was the worst by a long shot.  The way the torque converter, tranny, and AFM worked together was bad.  It'd downshift mid corner.  Always felt like it was lugging the motor.  There was a weird ticking that no one could figure out.  Was not a pleasurable driving experience.  Maybe something with mine was a bit off I don't know.  My cousin has an '18 2500 with the allison 6 speed and the 10 speed is very comparable in smoothness.

15 minutes ago, PackerChev said:

Yes, compared to any other vehicle I've owned it was the worst by a long shot.  The way the torque converter, tranny, and AFM worked together was bad.  It'd downshift mid corner.  Always felt like it was lugging the motor.  There was a weird ticking that no one could figure out.  Was not a pleasurable driving experience.  Maybe something with mine was a bit off I don't know.  My cousin has an '18 2500 with the allison 6 speed and the 10 speed is very comparable in smoothness.

You must have had other issues.  My 2016 5.3/6 speed has never had any issues in 50k miles.  I can barely feel the AFM system activating, and only at slow speeds white the engine is cold.