New Toyo AT-III

Icutmetl

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/2/2020 at 8:03 AM, 2017Wallace said:

Got the new toyo put on yesterday in 285/60R20 from discount tire.bb3590a5b26281345a5c6415f3eb8f00.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking truck and tire.  Any feedback on these so far?  How's the road noise?  I'm down to my final three options for a set of tires - (1) Falken Wildpeak AT3w (2) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s & (3) Toyo Open Country ATIII.  Been having a hard time finding reviews on this particular tire with is still being so new.

Any feedback would be great.  Also I know for a fact I'm going with a P rate 275/60r20 size.  Been trying to determine how much noise translates from a P rated to an LT rated tire like your 285/60r20 for instance.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/15/2020 at 7:53 PM, MattGMC2014 said:

Great looking truck and tire.  Any feedback on these so far?  How's the road noise?  I'm down to my final three options for a set of tires - (1) Falken Wildpeak AT3w (2) Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s & (3) Toyo Open Country ATIII.  Been having a hard time finding reviews on this particular tire with is still being so new.

Any feedback would be great.  Also I know for a fact I'm going with a P rate 275/60r20 size.  Been trying to determine how much noise translates from a P rated to an LT rated tire like your 285/60r20 for instance.

Did you move forward yet? I bought a pair of Wildpeaks over the weekend and have already had them balanced 3 times and still have vibration issues. Going to return them and am leaning strongly to the Toyo's.

Just put a deposit down on P265/65R18 Toyo AT3s for the wife's Suburban... after 8+ years of BFG A/Ts (both KO and KO2s) on GM trucks and SUVs I'm curious to see what I think. I should have them installed by June 7... good ol' remote Alaska waiting ?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2020 at 2:34 PM, TheCloudX said:

Did you move forward yet? I bought a pair of Wildpeaks over the weekend and have already had them balanced 3 times and still have vibration issues. Going to return them and am leaning strongly to the Toyo's.

I have not made a move yet.  Sorry to hear about the Wildpeaks, I was really leaning towards those for quite some time.  But at this point, the Toyo AT3s have won me over so I am going to get those.  Will most likely get them late June early July. Very excited to see how it goes.  So ready to get the stock GYs off.  

Once installed, I will definitely post some pics and my thoughts on them.  

50 minutes ago, MattGMC2014 said:

I have not made a move yet.  Sorry to hear about the Wildpeaks, I was really leaning towards those for quite some time.  But at this point, the Toyo AT3s have won me over so I am going to get those.  Will most likely get them late June early July. Very excited to see how it goes.  So ready to get the stock GYs off.  

Once installed, I will definitely post some pics and my thoughts on them.  

The Wildpeaks looked fantastic on the truck and handled well on the road and during some heavy rain, but couldn't shake the vibration. It's unfortunate, but I have the Toyo AT3's on the way. Discount Tire should have them early next week. I'll post some pics and driving impressions. I'm anticipating it being a good fit as I've ran Toyo OP's in the past and had good luck with them.

Tires were installed today. Didn't do much driving on them, roughly 50 miles at most. So far, very happy with them. The ride is significantly better. On the Wildpeaks, going 70-80 you could really feel the vibrations. On these, they are very smooth. Some road feel, as to be expected, but no more vibration. Almost as good as the OEM highway tires where you couldn't tell you were speeding. Wife could even tell a difference and is happy. I'll do more testing here soon, especially an MPG test and hopefully rain and off road. But, my very rough and initial review - I'm happy. Snapped a few pics on the way home. I'll get more here soon.

cXqegB9.jpg

OqveN6d.jpg

On 6/4/2020 at 7:10 PM, TheCloudX said:

Tires were installed today. Didn't do much driving on them, roughly 50 miles at most. So far, very happy with them. The ride is significantly better. On the Wildpeaks, going 70-80 you could really feel the vibrations. On these, they are very smooth. Some road feel, as to be expected, but no more vibration. Almost as good as the OEM highway tires where you couldn't tell you were speeding. Wife could even tell a difference and is happy. I'll do more testing here soon, especially an MPG test and hopefully rain and off road. But, my very rough and initial review - I'm happy. Snapped a few pics on the way home. I'll get more here soon.

cXqegB9.jpg

OqveN6d.jpg

Tires look great.  What size did you get?  I could not tell from the pics.  LT or P tire size? Glad to here about the ride quality either way. 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:45 PM, MattGMC2014 said:

Tires look great.  What size did you get?  I could not tell from the pics.  LT or P tire size? Glad to here about the ride quality either way. 

They're 275/65r18's. I went with P as I don't tow much. Haven't been able to get out in the mud or rain still, but so far very happy with them.

I just got back from town riding 110 miles on the new Toyo AT3s... the E load range BFG All Terrain KO2s (installed in March of 2017) that they replaced had right at 65k miles, I could have kept them on but the last of the tread compound is stiff and had gotten incredibly loud, so my wife said hurry up and get them replaced ?

First impressions are good, they had solid traction in the rain, soaked up the frost heaves and pot holes, and I was impressed with how quiet they are. It is strange going from the firm E load range BFGs to the softer P rated Toyos, they definitely give when cornering but it does make for a softer ride. The sidewalls have a rounder appearance which I am not a huge fan of but that's just me being picky. I think if it was my daily driver I would be a bit let down but I am confident my wife will be much happier, I'm curious to see if they hold up to 65k miles of Alaskan abuse as well as the KO2s.

I will update fuel mileage in a few weeks, they are 10 lbs lighter each, so we're losing 40 pounds of unsprung weight, I could definitely feel the difference on the ride home. I set them up to 38 psi cold. 

Here's a couple of dirty pics with the new tires, turned over 110,000 miles on the burb today... still doing well!

50024305883_791d44df18_k.jpg

50025108752_90531bfafc_k.jpg

50025109872_e7e33aac36_k.jpg

50024850151_160cd58cd5_k.jpg

Here is the last camping trip with the KO2s... they got noisy but did well on an 800 mile weekend across Alaska.

50024308683_4160e78944_k.jpg

50024307463_fefe72bf36_k.jpg

Edited by cheyenne383
  • Like 1

Quick update on my set. Very happy with them so far. We've had a lot of rain, but usually at night so I haven't had a chance to get a good feel for them on wet pavement. This weekend we did a day trip down to my deer lease and back. About 60% highway/40% city driving and some light off-roading. They handled the mud very well, never once questioned getting around. Average MPG was 21.4. I'm very happy with the tire, and my wife is just as happy. At this point, I would recommend them to anyone considering them.

Proof of the MPG.

Y9JvUnb.jpg

I was able to get a good test run in this weekend, went out to a old mining area a few hundred miles from my place and camped for a couple of days. On the highway coming down they were very quiet and MPG is definitely up 1.5-2 mpg over the KO2s. Going down the old mining road with pot holes, washboard sections, creek crossings, and jagged rocks sticking they held up well, didn't get into too much mud or thick stuff but they did very well. It rained the entire highway trip back and the grip was solid at highway speed. Overall I have to say I am impressed.

50056141783_d225701d28_k.jpg

50056961542_fff1026b4d_k.jpg

50056961872_9dde0a6ac8_k.jpg

50056141338_780a8de417_k.jpg

• Like 1