GM 2" lift install issues

Hi all,  I am new to this forum, but have been perusing for a few months. Purchased a 2020 GMC Sierra Elevation Diesel (absolutely love it) in January and had the factory GM 2" lift installed 2 weeks ago at the dealer.  I would have typically installed this myself, but wanted to have the dealer responsible for any install issues.  First thing I noticed was that the steering wheel was off center a few degrees and there is a dull creaking/clunk on the driver's side when hitting small bumps, especially when the rear axle goes over. I don't think it is a metal on metal sound.  Now, I noticed that the front passenger side is about 1" lower than the driver's side. I am a bit peeved.  I have an appointment for this Friday for them to try to fix it. I'd like to give them some specific direction on what is going on and what to look for after. Does anyone have any advice for me on what the problems could be?  I am hoping they can fix it right this time.  Thanks in advance!

So just an update.  I am at the dealer and they are telling me they can't adjust the ride height on the front passenger side to match the driver's side.  It is 1/2 - 3/4"lower on the passenger side.  For those who have had this kit installed, does this sound right? Is it within spec?  Maybe a bad shock came in the kit?  Any thoughts is much appreciated.

So just an update.  I am at the dealer and they are telling me they can't adjust the ride height on the front passenger side to match the driver's side.  It is 1/2 - 3/4"lower on the passenger side.  For those who have had this kit installed, does this sound right? Is it within spec?  Maybe a bad shock came in the kit?  Any thoughts is much appreciated.

Warranty would be honored at any dealer. Would not hurt to have a second opinion from another trusted dealer. If it is a workmanship issue, the installing dealer may have to do the correction or pay another dealer to fix it. This could be slightly complicated if indeed a real problem is found. Post an update to let us know how it all turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s hard to diagnose without seeing it, but have you checked that all the suspension bolts are tight? Check the shock tower bolts, the tie rod, the UCA, sway bar, and LCA.  

If you’re still getting a clunk I would also check the top king nut on the strut, they may not have seated it all the way down when the springs were compressed. Also confirm the factory pen marks are lined up from the top plate and rubber housing down to the lower perch (Gm uses two different colored paint pens during assembly to mark the coilover so it should be very clear If your dealer didn’t line them back up to factory specs when they put everything back together). If these lines are not matched all the way down you WILL get noise from the spring perch. 

I can’t see a reason why one side would be that much lower, sometimes the gas tank will give the truck a slight lean when it’s full but not 3/4”. 

Thank you all. Excellent advice!  They were able to get it to within 1/4", but that still doesn't seem right.  This is the first factory lift installed at this dealer, so maybe mine is the guinea pig. I asked them to put an inquiry in to GM for technical advice on the height adjustment issue.

As for the clunking, they think a defective rear leaf spring is the cause.  I never heard this prior to the lift install, but maybe the lift made the clunk sound louder. They will replace it under warranty.

Does anyone have a copy of the technical instructions that came with the kit ?  Mine disappeared from the box after the install.

It is 1/4 inch, are you really going to nitpick over that? It is a manufactured vehicle by machines and humans, there are variations. Pretty much no vehicle sits dead even at each corner as the other. Usually it is the drivers side that sits a little lower as the driver, gas tank, dash/gauges and what not add some weight that slowly wears is down faster the drivers side than the passenger side (they both use the same springs). They got it way closer than their tolerance specs allow (which I believe are 3/4 of an inch is with in tolerance). They identified the noise and are addressing that and the steering wheel should be a simple alignment. The height though which you can't even see or notice at 1/4 inch should no longer be an issue, go enjoy the truck and don't get on the dealers bad side by nitpicking. 

For what it is worth, stock I had a half inch variation in the front side to side and three quarter inch rear variation in height side to side. Could be it was tied down slightly tighter on one side, who knows, if my life or a billion dollars was on the line I couldn't identify a variance between the two at a half inch...

Tyler

17 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

It is 1/4 inch, are you really going to nitpick over that? It is a manufactured vehicle by machines and humans, there are variations. Pretty much no vehicle sits dead even at each corner as the other. Usually it is the drivers side that sits a little lower as the driver, gas tank, dash/gauges and what not add some weight that slowly wears is down faster the drivers side than the passenger side (they both use the same springs). They got it way closer than their tolerance specs allow (which I believe are 3/4 of an inch is with in tolerance). They identified the noise and are addressing that and the steering wheel should be a simple alignment. The height though which you can't even see or notice at 1/4 inch should no longer be an issue, go enjoy the truck and don't get on the dealers bad side by nitpicking. 

For what it is worth, stock I had a half inch variation in the front side to side and three quarter inch rear variation in height side to side. Could be it was tied down slightly tighter on one side, who knows, if my life or a billion dollars was on the line I couldn't identify a variance between the two at a half inch...

Tyler

Thanks Tyler!  I agree with you 1/4 inch is not noticeable.  What was concerning to me was their lack of knowledge on the kit and initially informing me that it was non-adjustable when it was clearly out of whack.  I had to press them to try to get it closer.  It's all good now.  Time to get some new treads.

• Like 2

Measured from the ground, wheel-centered to the fender lip.  Also measured the distance from the top of the tire to the fender (wheel well gap) Same difference in results comparing each side.

You shouldn’t really measure your lift gains (or losses) from the ground. A few pounds of air difference from one tire to the other will affect your measurement. Always measure from the center of the hub to the fender lip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

was the dealership able to perform the power steering calibration required after the install? i just bought a 1500 duramax z71 and definitely want to do the factory lift but thought on the website it said it wasnt compatible

For reference I have a 2.5” front level and 2” rear blocks. From the ground to top of wheel wells are as follows: FL 39.25, FR 39.50, RL 41.75, RR 41.50

Opposite corners sit higher/lower. Might be due to tire pressure. Or just build factors. My guess is this much variation is normal.

2 hours ago, ddore19931 said:

was the dealership able to perform the power steering calibration required after the install? i just bought a 1500 duramax z71 and definitely want to do the factory lift but thought on the website it said it wasnt compatible

It depends on whether you have the composite leaf springs, max trailering, or snow plow packages.. If so, the OEM kit won't work.