Covid19 Spare time

Donstar

45 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I was very excited this week as Mrs. Donstar said that a new truck could be a higher priority than when the topic was first brought up many months ago!  We have had a lot of time to focus on matters that we have control over and know that a new truck always brings me great joy!  My wife is a very selfless individual and finds pleasure in making others happy, including me!   I am always prepared for such a moment and keep a couple of potential buys in the cross-hairs.  One is a truck I can currently "afford" and the other is a truck I'd purchase if I won the lottery.  The caveat is the difference between my trade and the new truck will need to be financed. In other words, the enjoyment of a new truck has to be weighed against the flexibility of our monthly income over the next few years!  When life was busy, I wouldn't give a second thought to signing on the dotted line!   Now, the thought of giving up a truck that meets all of my needs for a newer version c/w monthly payments is a poor deal, imo.  I think my wife knows me pretty well and her strategy to get me to quit whining about a new truck is proving effective!    

We have made enough money on our investments this year that I could pay cash for a very nice truck. Not even interested. My 12 does the job. 

I get just as much pleasure out of finding clean older trucks as I did buying new ones. Waiting to see if I can break the habit of every two year itch. At least with the old ones if I can’t. I wouldn’t lose money on depreciation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

We have made enough money on our investments this year that I could pay cash for a very nice truck. Not even interested. My 12 does the job. 

I suspect one explains the other.  You invest your money wisely and own a vehicle with positive equity.  Like Karnut, the bug that struck me every couple of years has all but disappeared.   I often wonder how much better my current assets would be if I kept the '00 Silverado I see  around town on a regular basis!

Real estate got me retired at 58. Not money in the bank or a new truck. It took awhile for it to dawn on me that some of the smartest and well off people I know drive 5 to ten year old vehicles.

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

Real estate got me retired at 58. Not money in the bank or a new truck. It took awhile for it to dawn on me that some of the smartest and well off people I know drive 5 to ten year old vehicles.

I see this as well.  Our driveway was much more impressive when we were far less financially secure.  I know one impacted the other!   I have also known individuals who lived a very frugal existence and left huge bank accounts for undeserving family members to squander.  This past year has given most of us a lot of time to reflect on our finances and plan accordingly for the future.  (I appreciate this is an understatement for the financial devastation experienced by too many.)  I personally look at the future much more cautiously.  This is also compounded by the increasingly higher mileage on my body. ?  If, and when, I feel comfortable that my immediate family will not be negatively impacted or at risk, I'll likely treat myself to a new truck!

• Like 1

After 40 years of having one vehicle that less than three years old in my yard always. I have 3 that are 19-20 and 10. All would get me across country easily. When the wife’s ready we’ll probably buy one more new. Probably a CPO. Every two years new is a thing of the pass. They were bought by my company anyway. Personally was an average of every 5 years, the wife’s.

I've purchased Christmas gifts for the same lady for almost 50 years and I can never relax until I get this particular shopping completed!  I learned early on not to join the men on Christmas eve shopping at Walmart and today I can proudly say this year's presents are now wrapped and ready.  I even did an online gift purchase without her knowledge.  An old G-mail account, a Visa gift card and a neighbor's mailing address were all that were required!  Sometimes the thought and effort that goes into a gift earns more points than the actual present!  There were Christmases when I could blame a lack of time for gifts that didn't reflect a lot of thought but no chance of this excuse working  for me in 2020!  If you haven't got your essential shopping done,  git 'er done!

• Like 1

I've purchased Christmas gifts for the same lady for almost 50 years and I can never relax until I get this particular shopping completed!  I learned early on not to join the men on Christmas eve shopping at Walmart and today I can proudly say this year's presents are now wrapped and ready.  I even did an online gift purchase without her knowledge.  An old G-mail account, a Visa gift card and a neighbor's mailing address were all that were required!  Sometimes the thought and effort that goes into a gift earns more points than the actual present!  There were Christmases when I could blame a lack of time for gifts that didn't reflect a lot of thought but no chance of this excuse working  for me in 2020!  If you haven't got your essential shopping done,  git 'er done!

We agreed early on not to sweat Christmas shopping for each other. Especially anything expensive. I have her give me a list. I can only do one thing on it. If we need anything we usually purchase it on sale after. We do that for Valentine’s Day too. I really look forward to my new shocks at Christmas. Sometimes a new electric shaver.

• Like 1

Yes, we will often use Christmas as justification for a larger purchase.  These are shared choices.  One year I gave my girlfriend an engagement ring.  I was able to keep some finances private at that time but I made certain that it wouldn't be a gift she'd return!  I love watching old shows where substantial gifts such as a car are given from one spouse to another and it's a total surprise!  The most treasured gifts are the ones I can purchase under the radar.   When its a gift that will impact us financially as a couple then it takes on a different significance.  I'm sure there are many variations of how long term couples deal with what's under the tree and hopefully more of you will share.  We've approached it differently over the years but the greatest lesson I've learned is to take care of it early.  If you decide to skip gift buying for a spouse or other usual gift recipient, make sure it's mutual.  We have a tradition with in-laws not to exchange gifts but we always try to out-do each other with "non" gifts.  (Poinsettias, baking, clothing accessories, tree ornaments etc.)

17 hours ago, Colossus said:

We will soon need a COVID 20 topic.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-55312505

Yes, I believe Covid is here to stay for awhile. I  have confidence that the prevention and treatment practices learned over the past year will greatly reduce future  disruption created by this virus.  The most difficult part of reducing spread in our respective countries is educating everyone on the virus and the need for compliance to basic safety protocols.    This past year was a reminder that we all need to co-operate and work together to reduce the global spread of any viruses/diseases.  There are many who need more time to adjust to new behaviors.  Those who think we resume or carry on old behaviors because of a vaccine now in distribution are not fully appreciating the seriousness of this pandemic.  If, for example,  a family is planning a Christmas meal with others who do not live in their house,  chances are high that they haven't got the message.  Some use their spare time finding ways to challenge restrictions while I spend my time finding ways to manage within these safe practices. ? 

Here we go. Yes I read about a new covid 20. Is more contagious less deadly. Run for the hills. Barricade the door. Me not so much. Like I’ve said before we are free to choose. You want to live that life go ahead. California, New York etc, will be glad to have you. They need to get people back there. Why? Because people are leaving. Why? Because they want to choose. Not be dictated to.

• Like 1

Yes, I believe Covid is here to stay for awhile. I  have confidence that the prevention and treatment practices learned over the past year will greatly reduce future  disruption created by this virus.  The most difficult part of reducing spread in our respective countries is educating everyone on the virus and the need for compliance to basic safety protocols.    This past year was a reminder that we all need to co-operate and work together to reduce the global spread of any viruses/diseases.  There are many who need more time to adjust to new behaviors.  Those who think we resume or carry on old behaviors because of a vaccine now in distribution are not fully appreciating the seriousness of this pandemic.  If, for example,  a family is planning a Christmas meal with others who do not live in their house,  chances are high that they haven't got the message.  Some use their spare time finding ways to challenge restrictions while I spend my time finding ways to manage within these safe practices. [emoji846]       

How about the Christmas meal is made and adults can choose to partake in the meal. Why do you like being dictated to and why do you feel the need for people to not be able to choose. Just another person that wants people to be controlled because they seem to know what is right for all.  I am not stopping you or people like you from doing what you want when it comes to covid but you want to stop or not let people do what they want when it comes to covid. Sounds just like the politicians that say to do stuff but they are caught doing the opposite. 

I have a solution for you. Stay locked away in your house all sealed away from life. If you want to go out but are scared because of choices people make then buy a full biohazard suit. You protection is on you and no one else's.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bash74 said:

I have a solution for you. Stay locked away in your house all sealed away from life. If you want to go out but are scared because of choices people make then buy a full biohazard suit. You protection is on you and no one else's.

Thanks for your advice and I understand your point of view.  I am doing very well and not scared. I live in a community where most are exercising safe behaviors and most feel free to safely get around.  I can go to any store, office or medical clinic and not encounter someone disrespecting my freedom.  You may see mask wearing and distancing as an infringement on freedom but I see it as giving me freedom.  I am off to Costco now and my chances of seeing someone not wearing a mask are about the same as seeing someone topless!  I sincerely hope you never suffer personal illness or have a person close to you suffer from Covid.  I've been fortunate and will continue to do what I can to maximize my chances of staying safe.  It really isn't a big effort or a control issue.   This being said, I understand your point of view and wish to leave it at that.  Are you finding any unique Covid19 spare time activities?.  

• Like 2