BF Goodrich TA Ko2 problems

I just put TA KO2 on my Sierra (285/65 18) had a bad wobble at slow speeds immediately after install. Contacted TireRack, they had me get them road force balanced and both the driver side tires were out of round and failed. they sent me 2 new tires, had those installed and the wobble is a little better but no close to gone. This truck rode smooth before these tires, now it rides like your going over small bumps in the road constantly. Similar to what you feel if you've ever had a broken belt in a tire. anyway, I just contacted BF Goodrich to see what they will do. I'm stumped and I'm pissed spending this much money on tires that are garbage. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my experience and wondering if you have anything to add. I will keep you updated with how BFG handles the situation.

Running the tires at 41 PSI.

Thanks!

Never had good luck with these tires, don’t know why people love them. The set I ran chunked pretty bad early on and they had this annoying vibration you could feel in the steering wheel. It would make my hand fall asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sounds like KO2s lately.  We took off a set stock size 20" on a 2016 2500hd (LT265/60R20).  Replaced 2 of them for vibrations and it still vibrated.  Even after full road force.  We swapped out from a truck on the lot that had the stock Goodyear Wrangler SRA and vibration was gone.  Not sure what he ended up getting but I think he went back to the SRA.

I never had the original AT KO myself, but I've always heard nothing but the best about the original tire.  KO2 has been very hit and miss.      

Edited by newdude
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Built2crash said:

I just put TA KO2 on my Sierra (285/65 18) had a bad wobble at slow speeds immediately after install. Contacted TireRack, they had me get them road force balanced and both the driver side tires were out of round and failed. they sent me 2 new tires, had those installed and the wobble is a little better but no close to gone. This truck rode smooth before these tires, now it rides like your going over small bumps in the road constantly. Similar to what you feel if you've ever had a broken belt in a tire. anyway, I just contacted BF Goodrich to see what they will do. I'm stumped and I'm pissed spending this much money on tires that are garbage. Anyway, just wanted to give you guys a heads up on my experience and wondering if you have anything to add. I will keep you updated with how BFG handles the situation.

Running the tires at 41 PSI.

Thanks!

I suggest switching to Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

I have not heard many issues with the KO2 so, that is surprising. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my set of Falkens.  I put them on at 37k or so and now 3 years later and at 98k, still running the same set.  Granted, they will need to be replaced within the next 5k or so, but they have been great tires and I will be buying another set.  Best AT tire out there with superb wet traction and hydroplane resistance.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, newdude said:

Sounds like KO2s lately.  We took off a set stock size 20" on a 2016 2500hd (LT265/60R20).  Replaced 2 of them for vibrations and it still vibrated.  Even after full road force.  We swapped out from a truck on the lot that had the stock Goodyear Wrangler SRA and vibration was gone.  Not sure what he ended up getting but I think he went back to the SRA.

I never had the original AT KO myself, but I've always heard nothing but the best about the original tire.  KO2 has been very hit and miss.      

To your point, It was good with the SRA's (junk tire IMO) and I also just took off my winter tires (grabber arctics) and even those were smooth.

I suggest switching to Falken Wildpeak AT3W.

I have not heard many issues with the KO2 so, that is surprising. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed my set of Falkens.  I put them on at 37k or so and now 3 years later and at 98k, still running the same set.  Granted, they will need to be replaced within the next 5k or so, but they have been great tires and I will be buying another set.  Best AT tire out there with superb wet traction and hydroplane resistance.

I second the Falken Wildpeak AT3’s.
I’ve run several sets of KO2’s and they did fairly well and didn’t have any drivability problems but they were wore out after about 20K miles. But, as far as traction goes the KO2 is hard to beat imo.
I had a set of Falkens after that and I have about as many miles on them right now as I had when I wore the KO2s out and the Falkens still have most of their tread lefts. They also seem to drive pretty well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Ok guys, I checked the front end myself and didn't find anything so I took it to the shop for them to check it out. They checked all the components and found nothing wrong, said she's tight. Tech drove it and came back and said definitely something wrong he felt the same thing as I did. Recommended having the tires road forced again. So this morning I brought it to the nearby tire place with road force balance machine and I had them check all 4 tires and check for a bent rims. They found nothing, tires are round rims are round. still drives the same..... so I guess I bought myself a 1200 dollar headache. I'm out of things to check....

On 4/14/2020 at 11:15 AM, Built2crash said:

I just put TA KO2 on my Sierra (285/65 18) had a bad wobble at slow speeds immediately after install. Contacted TireRack, they had me get them road force balanced and both the driver side tires were out of round and failed. they sent me 2 new tires, had those installed and the wobble is a little better but no close to gone.

I sometimes wonder if tires being shipped in the raw are somehow damaged during transit.  The opening scene to Ace Ventura: Pet Detective comes to mind:

The KO2s on my truck are 3 years old with 40K miles on them now and have been fantastic.

• Like 1

I’ve had 4 sets Of KO2s never had an issue. I do know they had you or balancing them and that seemed to always take some time [emoji2373]

Ryan B.

On 4/14/2020 at 10:18 AM, Jav_eee said:

Never had good luck with these tires, don’t know why people love them. The set I ran chunked pretty bad early on and they had this annoying vibration you could feel in the steering wheel. It would make my hand fall asleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Because they are the coolest looking AT tire, that is why. They are the highest priced but just average in performance...

Tyler

I am another success story for the BFG KO2s... The ones on my wife's Suburban have over 60k on them and I'm just now looking to replace them. They do well in the harsh winters up here and her work is down a gravel road, they're not cut up. I run around 50 psi and rotate every other oil change.

I have noticed they have gotten louder as they have worn, the ones on my truck only have 12k or so on them and are much quieter. That's hardly an issue for me, I care more about how they hold up in harsh conditions and winter driving. There is a ton of balance weight on both sets but they are heavy tires... makes since to me that they would need a lot of weight to balance properly.

• Like 2