2019 GMC 2500 HD 6.0 pf 61 E oil filter doesnt.fit

First oil change, i picked up a PF 61 E AC.DELCO oil filter, it doesnt fit. This is what its supposed to be. The filter i took off is a PF 48 E with a red label that ive never seen a red label before. The diameter of the threads on the PF 61 E is too small and will not screw on. I had a PF 48 E from my other truck which is an 09 GMC 6.0 and tried that. The PF 48 fits tightens and had no leaks. Only difference was the PF 48.E was a 1/4" shorter than the PF 48 E that I took off the truck. Any idea why ?  I would like to figure it out. I'm going to the dealer to have them decipher the vin. #. Does anybody have any idea why ? Thanks for your input. The picture attached is the filter I removed.

20200417_174129.jpg

PF48/PF48E and PF63/PF64 have different internal by-pass pressures.

Use the one that is recommended for your engine.

https://gm-techlink.com/?p=7627

Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement

April 5, 2017

The correct match of oil filter to engine application is more important now than ever with the tight tolerances, two stage oil pumps and high flow lubrication requirements of today’s modern engines.

Beginning in 2012, oil pumps began to regulate main gallery feedback instead of pump output pressure, which means that the oil pump does not begin to regulate until pressure is built up to the main gallery. This change reduces the amount of time it takes to provide oil to the engine bearing and lifters during extreme cold start conditions.

To meet these new engine operating requirements, the oil filter specifications of production oil filters and service oil filters have been improved. If a replacement oil filter with an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) or less is used, debris could circulate in the engine and cause damage to bearings and other tight tolerances areas, and eventually lead to premature engine failure.

PF64 and PF63 Filters

The PF64 and PF63 (Fig. 20) filters are commonly confused as an ACDelco PF48 and/or PF48E filter because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However, these oil filters are not the same and have different internal bypass valve opening pressure specifications. The PF48/PF48E has a pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) while the PF64/PF63E has a pressure specification of 22 PSI (150 kPa).

F20-filter-PF63.png

Fig. 20

Refer to the Electronic Parts Catalog (EPC) to determine the proper part numbers for a replacement oil filter.  If an aftermarket filter is used, it must have an internal bypass valve opening pressure specification, element integrity, filtration performance, media particle trap specification and burst strength that is equivalent to the original production oil filter.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fjtort2 said:

I get my oil changed at the dealer.. They’ve been using a PF63E oil filter for my 6.0. Next oil change should I change to the PF48?

No.. because it has a higher bypass differential which honestly is kind of meaningless.  The 6 liters don't have any sophisticated dual stage oil pumps... it's just a gerotor pump with a relief valve in it exactly how they have been since 1997... All this means is you would need 7 psi higher differential across the filter to cause the filter to bypass oil without running it through the filter media  Have you seen an oil pressure loss ever?  No... and you won't.  Dealers everywhere do it as the 63 is way more common than the 48.  If you want to check around GM and Delco say the 63 is a replacement for the 48.  Just use the pf63...  That bulletin posted above just re-enforces that by stating not to use a filter with a lower PSI differential lol.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

On 4/24/2020 at 12:07 AM, SierraHD17 said:

If you want to check around GM and Delco say the 63 is a replacement for the 48.  

Any links to a GM or Delco document that says that?

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 10:59 PM, fjtort2 said:

I get my oil changed at the dealer.. They’ve been using a PF63E oil filter for my 6.0. Next oil change should I change to the PF48?

Now I'm very curious about this.

@SierraHD 17 is using the same filter as I am, and @redwngr has posted that the difference in by pass pressure is significant, almost twice the pressure to pop it open. I'm under the impression, as SieraHD17, that our oil pump in the 6.0 isn't going to make less then 22psi when the engine is running, is there a chance that the pf63 is going to starve the engine of oil if pressure isn't up above 22psi?

I've got a case of pf63's in the garage.....

Edited by gearheadesw

On 4/24/2020 at 12:07 AM, SierraHD17 said:

No.. because it has a higher bypass differential which honestly is kind of meaningless.  The 6 liters don't have any sophisticated dual stage oil pumps... it's just a gerotor pump with a relief valve in it exactly how they have been since 1997... All this means is you would need 7 psi higher differential across the filter to cause the filter to bypass oil without running it through the filter media  Have you seen an oil pressure loss ever?  No... and you won't.  Dealers everywhere do it as the 63 is way more common than the 48.  If you want to check around GM and Delco say the 63 is a replacement for the 48.  Just use the pf63...  That bulletin posted above just re-enforces that by stating not to use a filter with a lower PSI differential lol.

There is no documentation from GM that states the PF-48 supersedes to the PF-63.  PF-63 was put in use in 2011 on the LLT 3.6 High Feature V6 due to increased oil pressure and as a running improvement during the timing chain debacle on that engine.

PF-63 is not approved for the Gen 4 LS engines such as the 6.0.  Any flavor of PF-48 is fine however, from the old PF-48, the PF-48E and even the UPF-48R.  GM would have done away with the PF-48 if that was the case. 

See GM catalog below. 

asda.thumb.jpg.ca6787c14ee02e49f3ce2462537080c3.jpg

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1