Understanding my max tow rating, capability and if lift will hurt towing

Hey all,

The wife and I have started to look at buying a travel trailer for trips. We like to camp and hike and take trips mainly around New England but with 2 dogs and a new baby it's getting to a point where we want to have a bit more of a dedicated unit. Also looking at taking a few trips out west so we would like something we can use as a sort of home base. Anyway, long story short I've never towed a travel trailer, or anything beyond a little jetski trailer. I'm trying to understand my trucks realistic max towing capability but it's less than simple.

I can't for the life of me find the GCWR of my truck. So far I've found that my truck (2016 1500 CC short bed, 5.3 4x4, no max tow with 3.42 gears) has a max tow of 9100lbs (I think). I can't for the life of me find the GCWR of my truck. I've got no freaking clue what I can realistically tow, I checked on an rv sales website and it said my max weight was 7k lbs, which I suppose removing payload makes sense, but that is also "MAX". I assume I should be prepared to add some margin of padding, say 20%, which would bring me down to 5400lbs.

Now add into the mix that because I'm basically a 10 year old I've got a 6" lift and 35s that may hurt my ability to tow a bit? I'm sure it's gonna hurt my acceleration, prob my braking too, so perhaps I need a higher margin for safety?

Additionally, what happens if I get pulled over? I can't imagine a trooper is gonna sit here and do all this math. Do they just look at the sticker on the trailer and the sticker on the doorjam plus the trucks listed max tow?

Appreciate the help as I flounder around here.

• Like 1

Check this out.   It looks like your GCWR is 15k lbs and your max trailer is 9100lbs.  So unless you weigh your truck(lift+35s=more weight) with and without cargo you won't know how much trailer you can buy.  Truck+trailer can't exceed 15k lbs 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.johnsoncars.com/2016brochures/traileringguide/16USTraileringGuide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiKqaCN-YjqAhWQGDQIHQX8BD0QFjADegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2Y3KRSDgXw7k7-sQ4whAAM

• Like 1

The owners' manual is your friend.  Both Max. Trailer Weight and GCWR are listed in a table in the towing section under Driving and Operating.  9,100 lbs and 15,000 lbs, respectively.  Someone might tell you to look at the sticker in the door jamb for your specific truck, but my 2019 LD has no such sticker.

Now that lift of yours is a problem.  I'm not sure how you achieved your lift and if it compromised payload.  You'll need to look into that.  The 35s are an issue because you've effectively reduced your gearing to about 3.08.  The table lists max towing and GCWR with 3.08 gears at 6,100 and 12,000 lbs, so you'd be in that ballpark. 

Best of luck.

Edited by Salsa De Piña
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Penguin VII said:

Hey all,

The wife and I have started to look at buying a travel trailer for trips. We like to camp and hike and take trips mainly around New England but with 2 dogs and a new baby it's getting to a point where we want to have a bit more of a dedicated unit. Also looking at taking a few trips out west so we would like something we can use as a sort of home base. Anyway, long story short I've never towed a travel trailer, or anything beyond a little jetski trailer. I'm trying to understand my trucks realistic max towing capability but it's less than simple.

I can't for the life of me find the GCWR of my truck. So far I've found that my truck (2016 1500 CC short bed, 5.3 4x4, no max tow with 3.42 gears) has a max tow of 9100lbs (I think). I can't for the life of me find the GCWR of my truck. I've got no freaking clue what I can realistically tow, I checked on an rv sales website and it said my max weight was 7k lbs, which I suppose removing payload makes sense, but that is also "MAX". I assume I should be prepared to add some margin of padding, say 20%, which would bring me down to 5400lbs.

Now add into the mix that because I'm basically a 10 year old I've got a 6" lift and 35s that may hurt my ability to tow a bit? I'm sure it's gonna hurt my acceleration, prob my braking too, so perhaps I need a higher margin for safety?

Additionally, what happens if I get pulled over? I can't imagine a trooper is gonna sit here and do all this math. Do they just look at the sticker on the trailer and the sticker on the doorjam plus the trucks listed max tow?

Call GM customer support, provided

them your VIN, and ask for the build sheet.  From there, you will be provided with your build sheet and that will give you all the details you need including a list of all your RPO codes.

Owners manual can help too.

• Like 1

There are many RV forums that may help you in your trailer buying decision.  Your lift and wheels are the unknown variable but Salsa De Piña 's comments make sense.  Buying an RV for the first time is an exciting experience.  It is a potentially costly adventure so take your time and do your research.  Unless money is of no concern, renting a trailer a couple of times will save you a great deal of long term stress!  Life with a travel trailer is not always a Kodak moment...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Penguin VII said:

Hey all,

I think what you really need to start as is a truck scale.  Go and have your truck weighed as is, with a full tank of gas and you in the seat.  Your curb weight it going to be a big factor with the lift and larger tires as to where you should proceed from here.  Base curb weight and payload on the tire load label is with a 100% stock truck.  Anything you add to the truck will only lower the payload, be it by 5lbs or 500lbs.  

Have you looked in your owners manual? Mine is a '17 & it lists all the models with engine & gear ratio with towing & GCWR. Mine starts on page 320

image.thumb.png.25af18d547feaebf7ba830a96ed6ca0f.png

image.thumb.png.84fbbcf193209436350d0a8d2ac4e9f7.png

image.thumb.png.faa4dc954a5f75e2f1bdb6052789f351.png

image.thumb.png.556b5de336f38448fa1e7163f48a3945.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

I believe that larger tires and alterations to suspension change towing capabilities more significantly than just factoring in the added weight of these components.  

That's an understatement Donny.

I tow a 25ft Keystone Hornet Lite 25FL TT. Dry 4900 loaded to max 6200.

My stock 18 5.3 3.42 6spd Dbl cab tows it fine. Plenty of power ok mpg.

I'm also 10 years old so sometimes I tow it with my lifted truck.

My 18 Crew Standard bed 5.3 6spd 3.42 9" lift 37" tires has a hard time with this even empty.

She likes 5th gear, never shifts into 6th, with a lot 4th mixed in. 2700 - 3500 rpm is the most I'll let her go but it has enough ass at 3000 to get up a decent grade. The Borla S type catback echoing off the front of the trailer at 3000rpm is some sweet ass music too. She don't like to pass many gas stations though.

Never drove it with the lifted truck on a windy day but don't forget to factor that in. Also when a semi passes by you it creates turbulence so you have to be on your game and

be ready for that.

If I was you I'd look for a trailer in the 3500- 4000 lb dry 6000 GVWR.

Here's the info on mine..

15924143410345833187138625430370.jpg

IMG_20200617_122127.jpg

6 hours ago, m3n00b said:

Check this out.   It looks like your GCWR is 15k lbs and your max trailer is 9100lbs.  So unless you weigh your truck(lift+35s=more weight) with and without cargo you won't know how much trailer you can buy.  Truck+trailer can't exceed 15k lbs 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.johnsoncars.com/2016brochures/traileringguide/16USTraileringGuide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiKqaCN-YjqAhWQGDQIHQX8BD0QFjADegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2Y3KRSDgXw7k7-sQ4whAAM

I somehow missed that, however I saw the 2017 here and I don't see the gcwr anywhere on it. I figured that since there was no change between 2016 and 2017 it would be the same but I couldn't find it in that guide.

6 hours ago, Salsa De Piña said:

The owners' manual is your friend.  Both Max. Trailer Weight and GCWR are listed in a table in the towing section under Driving and Operating.  9,100 lbs and 15,000 lbs, respectively.  Someone might tell you to look at the sticker in the door jamb for your specific truck, but my 2019 LD has no such sticker.

Now that lift of yours is a problem.  I'm not sure how you achieved your lift and if it compromised payload.  You'll need to look into that.  The 35s are an issue because you've effectively reduced your gearing to about 3.08.  The table lists max towing and GCWR with 3.08 gears at 6,100 and 12,000 lbs, so you'd be in that ballpark. 

Best of luck.

I'm aware of the owners manual, but I somehow missed it when I was looking at it this morning. Perhaps it was too early and my coffee hadn't kicked in, but I'm seeing it in the digital version now.

I lifted with a suspension kit from BDS. I'm not seeing anything on their site about towing with their kit. My assumption here is just that I'm losing gearing because of the larger tires and a further reduction in MPG due to the hight of the truck. Assuming that I have the correct tow mount drop I'm unsure if there is anything else I should be aware of.

Makes sense to lower my towing due to the larger tires.

5 hours ago, Donstar said:

There are many RV forums that may help you in your trailer buying decision.  Your lift and wheels are the unknown variable but Salsa De Piña 's comments make sense.  Buying an RV for the first time is an exciting experience.  It is a potentially costly adventure so take your time and do your research.  Unless money is of no concern, renting a trailer a couple of times will save you a great deal of long term stress!  Life with a travel trailer is not always a Kodak moment...

I've thought about renting, prob gonna give that a whirl first, but even still not sure what size I could (or should) look at renting. Hence this post.

I'm curious to what your experience or any feedback about the trailer life is. What makes it not a kodak moment?

5 hours ago, newdude said:

I think what you really need to start as is a truck scale.  Go and have your truck weighed as is, with a full tank of gas and you in the seat.  Your curb weight it going to be a big factor with the lift and larger tires as to where you should proceed from here.  Base curb weight and payload on the tire load label is with a 100% stock truck.  Anything you add to the truck will only lower the payload, be it by 5lbs or 500lbs.  

Hadn't thought about this. Good call. I'll do that as a first step.

4 hours ago, rav3 said:

Have you looked in your owners manual? Mine is a '17 & it lists all the models with engine & gear ratio with towing & GCWR. Mine starts on page 320

Yeah, I hadn't seen it this morning but apparently I'm just thick. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Donstar said:

I believe that larger tires and alterations to suspension change towing capabilities more significantly than just factoring in the added weight of these components.  

Sure, but I'm unsure of to what extent? Have I reduced my towing ability to 10%? 20? 50? I've got no clue here.

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

That's an understatement Donny.

I tow a 25ft Keystone Hornet Lite 25FL TT. Dry 4900 loaded to max 6200.

My stock 18 5.3 3.42 6spd Dbl cab tows it fine. Plenty of power ok mpg.

I'm also 10 years old so sometimes I tow it with my lifted truck.

My 18 Crew Standard bed 5.3 6spd 3.42 9" lift 37" tires has a hard time with this even empty.

She likes 5th gear, never shifts into 6th, with a lot 4th mixed in. 2700 - 3500 rpm is the most I'll let her go but it has enough ass at 3000 to get up a decent grade. The Borla S type catback echoing off the front of the trailer at 3000rpm is some sweet ass music too. She don't like to pass many gas stations though.

Never drove it with the lifted truck on a windy day but don't forget to factor that in. Also when a semi passes by you it creates turbulence so you have to be on your game and

be ready for that.

If I was you I'd look for a trailer in the 3500- 4000 lb dry 6000 GVWR.

Here's the info on mine..

Well that is disappointing to hear. Some of the trailers we were looking at were in the 7-8k size. I also don't want to get ahead of myself so perhaps its best that I start smaller anyway.

Well that is disappointing to hear. Some of the trailers we were looking at were in the 7-8k size. I also don't want to get ahead of myself so perhaps its best that I start smaller anyway.
Also if you've never towed anything bigger than jetskis, I would definitely consider something in the size I suggested. A 7500 lb 30 ft long travel Trailer with a 1/2 ton is NOT the place to learn how to tow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, dieselfan1 said:

Also if you've never towed anything bigger than jetskis, I would definitely consider something in the size I suggested. A 7500 lb 30 ft long travel Trailer with a 1/2 ton is NOT the place to learn how to tow.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Yeah, thats a fair point. I'll reduce the scope a bit so I don't get in over my head, which was part of my concern. Worse comes to it I can always trade the truck if necessary but I think I'm not quite there, as much as I want a HD diesel it seems unnecessary at the moment.

Don't be deterred Sir.

You can still tow a nice setup. You have to think Lite or Ultra lite. Tons of them made to be pulled by a midsize SUV or minivan.

Is this big enough? 

No slide out though.

It's the right weight.

You should be able to get up to 25-30% off MSRP on a new one, depends on where you are and where you buy it  

https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2020-jay-feather/18rbm/

What's your budget?

Edited by dieselfan1

Step 1: Ignore any weight that is published in a brochure.  They are all wrong.

Step 2: Ignore the max tow rating and the GCWR.  Your truck will max out on payload long before you hit the GCWR or tow limit.

Step 3:  Go out to your truck and open the driver's door.  There are a couple of stickers on the B pillar.  One of them says "The weight of all occupants and cargo should never exceed: XXXX".  Tell us what that number is.  This is your payload capacity and represents your payload as the truck rolled off the assembly line.  Anything you have added (lift, bigger tires, people, tools, etc...) will reduce your payload capacity.

Step 4.  Remain calm and work from data.

Let's start with that and go from there.  Getting your truck weighed will get you bonus points.  GVWR - truck weight = payload capacity.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 2016 Silverado 5.3 4x4 crew cab with the standard box on stock 265-65-18 tires and a custom tune.  I tow a 6000lbs 23ft travel trailer and feel like its the happy medium in the mountains that we tow in.   Id guess with your mods of lift and tire size you would do well with a trailer under 6000lbs.