My catch can experiment (L83)

I've read quite a few articles on the pros and cons of oil catch cans.  Some say you need them on DI (direct injected) engines (to help keep the intake valves from getting carbon buildup), others say you don't.  So I did a little experiment on my 2018 Silverado L83 to see what would happen.

I mounted 2 separate catch cans - one connected directly to both crankcase breather lines that come off of the valve covers with an open element breather filter on the catch can itself (plugged ports on air box the factory crankcase breather lines attached to).  The other catch can is in-line of the PCV vacuum line.

20200629_164221.thumb.jpg.a3ce4ac080fef1f1deb7d1334c05cb05.jpg

I drove the truck for 500 miles, mixed city/highway.  The results were:

Crankcase breather catch can was bone dry - not even a haze of oil film on the inside of the can.

PCV catch can was a different story:

20200629_215855.thumb.jpg.972b47f95684c9d7ab6f5f93bfa7c34e.jpg

There's probably 2 tablespoons of oil in there after 500 miles.  I'm running Mobil1 0w20 full synthetic, engine has about 25,000 miles on it.

Based on these test results, I think I can remove the crankcase breather catch can but I'm definitely keeping the PCV catch can.

Edited by SinisterZ71
  • Like 2

I've read quite a few articles on the pros and cons of oil catch cans.  Some say you need them on DI (direct injected) engines (to help keep the intake valves from getting carbon buildup), others say you don't.  So I did a little experiment on my 2018 Silverado L83 to see what would happen.

I mounted 2 separate catch cans - one connected directly to both crankcase breather lines that come off of the valve covers with an open element breather filter on the catch can itself (plugged ports on air box the factory crankcase breather lines attached to).  The other catch can is in-line of the PCV vacuum line.

20200629_164221.thumb.jpg.a3ce4ac080fef1f1deb7d1334c05cb05.jpg

I drove the truck for 500 miles, mixed city/highway.  The results were:

Crankcase breather catch can was bone dry - not even a haze of oil film on the inside of the can.

PCV catch can was a different story:

20200629_215855.thumb.jpg.972b47f95684c9d7ab6f5f93bfa7c34e.jpg

There's probably 2 tablespoons of oil in there after 500 miles.  I'm running Mobil1 0w20 full synthetic, engine has about 25,000 miles on it.

Based on these test results, I think I can remove the crankcase breather catch can but I'm definitely keeping the PCV catch can.

The only thing that stopping me from installing the catch can is the warranty. If I keep it while visiting the dealer it will void my warranty, otherwise I have to take it out at every dealer visit.

20 minutes ago, SARNCAN said:

The only thing that stopping me from installing the catch can is the warranty. If I keep it while visiting the dealer it will void my warranty, otherwise I have to take it out at every dealer visit.

It only takes a few minutes to remove the catch can and return it to stock.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SARNCAN said:

I put one on and the service department person that helps me said that all these new trucks should have one. They have to do valve cleaning services on a few vehicles every month. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

""2 separate catch cans - one connected directly to both crankcase breather lines that come off of the valve covers with an open element breather filter on the catch can itself (plugged ports on air box the factory crankcase breather lines attached to).  The other catch can is in-line of the PCV vacuum line.""

Seems to me, looking at the air/vapor flow passing from/through each catch can, there would be nothing collected in the vented can connected to the crankcase breather lines running to the valve covers, since the factory lines came from the air box after passing through the factory air filter element.   The open element breather filter now provides this air to the crankcase. Remaining clean and dry would be a normal condition one would expect.  The catch can in the PCV line is doing an excellent job, as it should.

Edited by BigBlueLB756
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm new to GMCs, coming from a 2002 F-150 (bought new in 2002). My dealer has found the truck I want, I'm waiting for it to arrive. So I'm spending the time looking up goodies for my new truck!

Would you mind to post a link for the PCV catch can? 

Thank you,

Daryl

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 8:26 PM, M1ck3y said:

Are catch can rated for cold weather use? Could there be an issues opening it up, or not sealing properly in say -30

I'm also interested in cold weather use, though I'd prefer some testing at -40 (feel free to pick your own temperature scale.)

• 1 month later...
I'm also interested in cold weather use, though I'd prefer some testing at -40 (feel free to pick your own temperature scale.)
I suggest stay away from E2, JLT, Moroso. We have had to deal with people having issues in extreme cold weather with those. Usually the people with these move to where I live with them installed. The one I use and we install on vehicles are Saikou Michi cans. Have not had issues with them even down to -60.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk