Auto stop/start poll

Auto stop/start system usage  

155 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What do you think of the auto stop/start system in these trucks? I'm curious how many just leave it enabled in the default setting or turn it off every time. 
I'm one of the ones that turns it off everytime. If there was a way to permantly disable it, I'd do it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

I disable it almost all of the time as a part of my pre-flight checklist. Some exceptions though. If I’m pulling up to the drive thru I re-enable it before stopping. Makes it easier to hear the clerk and saves some idle time too when things are slow. Play it right and you can get two auto-stops out of it. One at the speaker box and one at the window. 

Also if I’m coming up to one of the notorious 5 minute stoplights I’ll re-enable.

That’s about it though. Most of the time it’s off. I read somewhere that the break even for fuel consumption is 30 seconds. That is, if it shuts off for less than that amount of time, it’s actually wasting more fuel during restart than it saved by shutting off. Most stop signs and lights are shorter than 30 seconds so there’s that.

• Like 1

I do exactly what OnTheReel does. 

I’ve watched quite a few of the videos of guys installing the Auto stop eliminator. I don’t know, I guess I’m just not motivated enough to do all that. 

To me, it’s just like clicking in my seat belt or adjusting the AC. Doesn’t bother me to push that button every time, and I do enjoy having it for those long stoplights. Why not. 

Looks like it stays plugged into your OBD port... Unplug when to take it back to stock function. Interesting but comes at a price. Thanks for the share

3 minutes ago, Andyh1 said:

Looks like it stays plugged into your OBD port... Unplug when to take it back to stock function. Interesting but comes at a price. Thanks for the share

It works well.

I disable it, usually at the first stop sign/traffic light.  Im just happy we have a disable button.  If the government geeks/libs get their way, we will have no disable button on future models.  My opinion is that it creates needless wear/tear and saves very little, if any, fuel.   

Don't really like it so I've pressed the button to disable it each time (on this truck and on previous trucks). Then installed the eliminator so it recognizes it as off full-time and it's been wonderful.

I would equate the eliminator install similar to spraying a squeeky door hinge with wd40. While none of it is earth shattering business, after dealing with a squeeky door for months... the second you close that door in silence without the squeek you think "why the heck didn't I do this sooner?" The same is said for the auto stop eliminator!

• Like 4

So spend $180 on the range device, studies show around $179 savings at 15k miles a year at $3.50 a gallon annually so basically first year just pissing away $350 the first year and an additional $720 the next 4 years. That means it can save you enough to buy a nice hard rolling tonneau cover, especially if you are in stop and go or city traffic often. Not sure why people dislike this or other fuel saving tech, multiple independent test have shown around 7-8% fuel savings with start stop tech on average. I am all for it, we can't avoid it so might as well embrace it as trying to get around some of the stuff can be even more expensive. 

Tyler 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

So spend $180 on the range device, studies show around $179 savings at 15k miles a year at $3.50 a gallon annually so basically first year just pissing away $350 the first year and an additional $720 the next 4 years. That means it can save you enough to buy a nice hard rolling tonneau cover, especially if you are in stop and go or city traffic often. Not sure why people dislike this or other fuel saving tech, multiple independent test have shown around 7-8% fuel savings with start stop tech on average. I am all for it, we can't avoid it so might as well embrace it as trying to get around some of the stuff can be even more expensive. 

Tyler 

Totally fair points above. I got the auto stop eliminator for half that range device price though. I'm genuinely curious about those studies though because I haven't looked into them at all. Estimate is roughly 1 gallon of fuel savings per 300 miles driven on average? savings definitely changes with fuel price changes (we're sub $2 here). How are those 15k miles distributed too? This only works in a stop and go environment like in the city or Los Angeles highway LOL  15,000 miles is a lot of city stop and go driving so I'd suspect that study would be under a "normal" uses of city/combo driving which would support more savings for less miles but in city environment. I'm naturally a skeptic but I just feel 50+ gallons of fuels savings seems a little high

All very interesting in my opinion,