Paint flaking off door

Anyone else having issues with the paint peeling off your truck?  My 2014 has started to peel and when I contacted GMC they said it was my problem and refused to help fix it.  The dealership wants $1700 to paint the entire door.  I haven't even owned the truck four years.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

GMC1.jpg

GMC3.jpg

GMC2.jpg

GMC.jpg

Edited by Geotrain1
remove one picture

I don't have a flaking problem on my 2018 Silverado, but the paint does chip very easily.
My only advice is to keep the truck out of the sun as much as possible. Also, wax the paint periodically to keep it from drying out and cracking. That should preserve the rest of the paint.
I'm afraid your only option is to repaint the spot, even if you have to pay for it.

I'm sorry.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That sucks. Shop around local body shops. Check their reviews. They shouldn’t have to paint the entire door. Just blend in the area that they paint. 

if you have the tricoat paint maybe it can’t be blended and that’s why they have to repaint entire door? Seems like dealer just being a dealer and asking the max price. 

Unfortunately, that door can't be spotted, and is only a sign of things to come. It must be completely stripped of all paint, all trim removed, then blended into adjacent panels, removing all trim on those panels, also. The dealership quoted you a price to do just that, but that will only fix the current problem. The rest of the truck will eventually do the same, no matter what you do. This is not a new or unusual problem, nor unique to GM products.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

They, along with many other manufacturers, have been having problems for over 30 years since they went to base coat/clear coat. I have personally painted well over 1000 "peelers". I was working at a Chevrolet dealership from the mid '80's through the mid '90's. Me and 1 other painter each had 2 peelers a week scheduled up to a year in advance. They were every model from Berettas and Corsicas to trucks,vans, and Suburbans. The first ones were silvers and blues 2-3 years old. The white ones normally took 5-6 years to start peeling. Gm cut the warranty from 6 years to 5 years, then to 4 years,  cutting out many of the vehicles they were paying to repaint. I, personally, have never seen a red or maroon vehicle peel like the truck pictured above. I can't explain exactly why, only what I have observed. The clear may come apart, but the base doesn't peel, like most other colors. All I can say is the truck will eventually peel everywhere, and the cost to fix it right will be very high. Anything other than completely stripping the whole vehicle top to bottom, end to end is only a temporary patch. Now is the time to decide whether the truck is worth the investment it will take to repair it correctly, or buy a red one?

Automotive Touchup . Com.........Rattle Can......About $20 for color....I think another $10 for Clear.   Blend it in with 400 and shoot it.   If any other spots develop, you will have the paint ready to go. Thank your lucky stars that you dont have the White Diamond Tricoat like me.  .......?

Obviously, it is tri-coat. That paint is not going to feather out. If you hit it with air or a pressure washer, that spot would grow considerably. Painting over peeling paint is similar to wrapping a rag around a leaking radiator hose and expecting it to last.

I had the same problem on my '14 Silverado. Luckily mine is just the Summit white. I got quotes from $1000- $1500. They wanted to strip the door and repaint it then blend into the fender and rear door. 

Finally went to a small shop that only accepts cash ( they don't deal with insurance companies). Paid $400 to get the door stripped and repainted, no blending. It looks perfect, so I would shop around. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I’m also having the same issue in the same spot, having the dealer look at it today, if they say no then there should be a class action lawsuit against the company for defective paint. Just saying.

9A8C1290-00AB-4E4B-AFEE-82D1266A8143.jpeg

• Thanks 1

I dont think that its the paint.  I think that its in the prep.  Why would multiple  doors have a problem in the same spot.??  Oil ?  Some other substance ?   Somehow,  something must have dripped on that primer before the white was shot.  Was it not wiped off properly?   My tricoat has none of this anywhere.  Now the painted front bumper is a whole ' nother story.  Rock chips everywhere.  All I can do at this point is to have a wrap done on it.  Where was the truck built?  Mine was built in Mexico.  Its 5 years old.  Somewhere,  someone at GM knows why that paint did not stick.

I have an educated guess why there is a problem in the same spot. When that door is sprayed, the "gun" is going straight down the side, not turning to "wet" that area, and that area is not getting enough clear. 2.0 mils of clear is the minimum to give the base (color) UV protection. Without enough clear, the base will delaminate and let loose of the factory primer. There is no prep between factory primer and base. If you could find someone with a paint thickness gauge, I would bet that area (and probably others) is 1.6 mils of clear or less. The main reason for factory paint problems is a lack of material, to save a buck. They put just enough on to get it out of warranty, and not just GM.

On 9/1/2020 at 9:57 AM, jweb said:

Finally went to a small shop that only accepts cash ( they don't deal with insurance companies). Paid $400 to get the door stripped and repainted, no blending. It looks perfect, so I would shop around. 

I agree!  I shopped around when I needed a saddle bag lid refinished  for my Harley.  I am fussy and cheap!   With a little networking, I was able to find a small out of the way shop (low overhead) that beat every other quote by at least 60%.  I am not suggesting a business that is avoiding tax obligations but there are skilled automotive painters who do not employ a large staff or lease an expensive main road paint shop.  BTW  The painter I found was a name given to me by an estimator/owner at a large collision repair facility who had empathy for my problem.  Painters know painters!