Ceramic coating

I just did a Adams Polishes kit over the weekend, I will tell you take your time and prep is key. I went and got a car wash, then washed it again, clay barred it, the used the Adams prep stuff, then use their coating. Truck is a smooth and silky! Probably the best mod I’ve done so far, only thing I didn’t think of just like another member did is to do all mods first then do the coating. I now have an Aeroskin sitting in my garage which I’ll be returning as I’m positive I won’t get that 3m tape to stick. 

https://adamspolishes.com/products/ceramic-paint-coating-uv?variant=19941770756193&currency=USD&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqfz6BRD8ARIsAIXQCf0EjhPl5G5zYJHB4oK52sAH_1SDGBj65Hby_EuGxGjUGqdm-d0o38EaAsQUEALw_wcB

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Megalomegalodon said:

Has anyone put a ceramic coating on your new truck. It is supposed to last "forever" so no need to wax. Runs around $1K here for cars. Have not checked on truck prices yet.

https://bdautodetailing.com/index.php/ceramic-coating-detailing/

Check out "The Last Coat", aka TLC2.  They have the best ceramic coating out there.

The other one I haven't tried yet is called Ethos Graphene Coating.  Theirs is supposedly better than any ceramic, given the properties of graphene vs SiO2.  

I'd recommend TLC2 but Ethos may be a worth a try!

Summary: while ceramic coatings are superior, don't bother unless you plan to put the time in to properly maintain it or plan on paying someone to regularly maintain it. 

If you haven't,  I'd do some research on actual detail forums like Autogeek or Autopia.  You'll find that these coatings are not magic and don't last "forever".

I personally just tried Gyeon CanCoat myself which is a "coating lite" product.  Not necessarily a full blown ceramic coating.  I've been super impressed with it but fortunately or unfortunately I haven't been able to test it tough as my job has switched to permanent remote since March.  At the end of the day,  if you use your truck regularly,  your going to need to likely do yearly decontamination and claying and at least a topper of some sort because your ceramic coating will start to get tired and lose hydrophobic properties as the months go on. 

That being said, I do think ceramic products are great but spending 1k on them seems crazy to me but I do my own detailing so to each their own!

Put on CK quarts 3.0 by myself and it's had great results so far... None of the ceramics last forever and I wouldn't expect more than 3 years with two coats of their reload product annually. For me $80 my own elbow grease every three years was well worth it. It does make your paint hydrophobic and there have been times it has rained and I've come out to almost zero rain spots on my paint. 

$1000 is alot.  Around here, full detail, inside and out, with paint correction and ceramic coat on a pickup truck  is $450.

Personally knowing what goes into the coating process (just the paint prep in most cases is well over $300) I would not go that route.

Ryan B.

Way to much money for me......

Using a clay mitt and then a good coating of wax every 3-4 months works fine for me. 

Looks great and I can spend that money on other stuff. 

JMHO...

Edited by BigMick2020

16 hours ago, Megalomegalodon said:

Has anyone put a ceramic coating on your new truck. It is supposed to last "forever" so no need to wax. Runs around $1K here for cars. Have not checked on truck prices yet.

https://bdautodetailing.com/index.php/ceramic-coating-detailing/

They definitely don't last "forever".  Typical life, if done properly can range from 3-6 years depending on the product used and maintenance/care of the vehicle after its been coated.

Way to much money for me......

Using a clay mitt and then a good coating of wax every 3-4 months works fine for me. 
Looks great and I can spend that money on other stuff. 

JMHO...

Wax? There are much better products where you can get longer life nowadays and are easier to apply/maintain without going the ceramic route

Ryan B.

6 minutes ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

Wax? There are much better products where you can get longer life nowadays and are easier to apply/maintain without going the ceramic route

Ryan B.

Yup....wax!
Mequiars GoldClass carnauba plus, works well and lasts. 

Bet most people could not tell the difference between my truck and a ceramic coated truck.....unless you were maybe an expert in the field, which who really cares. 

Works excellent and looks unbelievable......trick is to clay mitt first so it lasts.  

Edited by BigMick2020
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BigMick2020 said:

Yup....wax!
Mequiars GoldClass carnauba plus, works well and lasts. 

Bet most people could not tell the difference between my truck and a ceramic coated truck.....unless you were maybe an expert in the field, which who really cares. 

Works excellent and looks unbelievable......trick is to clay mitt first so it lasts.  

Try Mequiars new Ceramic Hybrid Wax.  

• Like 1