1 hour ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Upgrade to what?

Is oil brand name a controversial subject around here haha?

Mobil One full synthetic 0W20 for example on sale from Walmart!

Did mine at 500,1000,2000,5000 miles i plan on keeping Blanco for 200k+ miles and its very cheap insurance. I prefilled the oil filter every time. 

Some people will say that i wasted money, and i might of but for $200 it might prolong the motor another 10k miles, it is worth it. 

5 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

Amsoil: Secret, Double Secret, under the table, Ultra Premium Black Diamond Platinum Super Limited Signature series...I think? 

Maybe if I speak slower. 

I..........am.........not.........a..........fan...........of...........AMSOIL..........

I..........am...........a........fan..........of...........POA/POE blends..........

Name..........all...............you............know

P......L.....E.....A.....S.....E

:rollin:

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 11:20 AM, MaverickZ71 said:

Upgrade to what?

I use the Purolator PL22500 based on this information I have data mined.

Does the difference between 99.0% and 99.9% capture at 20 microns seem like much of a difference? 

Not really!

That's the difference between the Bosch and Pure One in percentage.

If I graphed this as the filters Beta Ratio, would it give a meaningful mental picture?

Nope. The Purolator would dwarf the remaining filters.

SO.....Raw Data

One Million particles going in. The table is the number of particles coming out.

20 Micron is the ISO 4548-12 filter reference so that is the data points I graphed. 

image.png.10b03ce4abf782e56c0a75c0c70ac7cb.png

Note 1: The Bosch Premium DOES NOT have the 22 psi bypass spring.

Note 2: Purolator One data raw from ISO 4548-12 data table (Manufacture supplied)

Note 3: AMSOIL data from this AMSOIL dealer site: 

http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/ea_nanofiber_oil_filters.htm#:~:text=Absolute efficiency (Ea) describes filters,75.0 ß beta) or better.&text=consumers.&text=the filter removed over 98.7,which meets AMSOIL Ea standards.

Note 4: All others from their website.

Note 5: K&N will not supply data so not included.

Note 6: No long OCI filters in this table. NONE are rated at 20 micron but somewhere between 25 and 30 micron. So no Purolator Boss or WIX Platinum or Fram Titanium. They trade efficiency for mileage and filter capacity. 

Bonus Info:

The WIX filter is 95.0% efficient at 20 micron.

The Purolator One is 95.0% efficient at 8 micron. 

AMSOIL Oil Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 99 percent at 20 microns (from AMSOIL web site). Don't rely on dealer sites as some don't get updated.

4 hours ago, elcamino said:

AMSOIL Oil Filters provide a filtering efficiency in accordance with industry standard ISO 4548-12 of 99 percent at 20 microns (from AMSOIL web site). Don't rely on dealer sites as some don't get updated.

What do you get when you round up 98.7% for a two digit publication?

How do I know it's a round up?

Because is it published as 99% and not 99.0% 

A distinction with a very real difference.

That site I quoted is the ISO 4548-12 result to the tenths precision.

Please read the link. 

Point is, neither are in error, they are just published to a different level of precision. 

Now just so we keep it in perspective lets give the benefit of the doubt and round up to 99.0%.

That would make it equal to the BOSCH. Still 10X dirtier than the Purolator.

Look at it this way. The AMSOIL filter is almost 5X cleaner than a WIX or an AC-DELCO.

That's pretty darn good. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

21 hours ago, 204Denali said:

How come ? 

I’m old and kinda stupid from time to time. I always forget to use more than 1 of those red shop rags to turn the filter after I have loosened it with a filter wrench. It starts to trickle down my wrist. I grab several more rags. Too late. Already running down my arm. I destroyed a nice turtle ? neck sweatshirt. I just love 0/20 on my clothes. It smells like a truck stop. 

• Haha 2

I too change my oil at 1000-1500 miles the first time and my gear lube in the diffs at 10k. Is it necessary, no. Is it probably wasteful, yes. Do I care, no. Why? Because it makes me feel better. I say do it if it makes you feel better about protecting your investment.

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Chevyguy273 said:

I’m old and kinda stupid from time to time. I always forget to use more than 1 of those red shop rags to turn the filter after I have loosened it with a filter wrench. It starts to trickle down my wrist. I grab several more rags. Too late. Already running down my arm. I destroyed a nice turtle ? neck sweatshirt. I just love 0/20 on my clothes. It smells like a truck stop. 

Just grab a large zip-lock bag, put it over the filter and let the oil run down into the bag as you pull it off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2