Gen5diy bed light switch

Ryan,

That looks interesting.  I can't comment on the Gen5Diy setup but I followed this thread and it worked perfectly.  Takes a little more time but only costs about $17 in parts:

On 2/12/2021 at 12:24 PM, RyanbabZ71 said:

just ordered, I've been waiting for this - curious to see what modes it operates in. 

On 2/14/2021 at 12:20 PM, Thejet07 said:

Where do you tap in for the bed lights/cargo lights.? In the video they show were to get power in the trailer harness but that’s all I see. Am I missing something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I was looking at the same thing.  They show you the harness poking out of the hole, but don't show you putting the tee into the bed light harness. 

The bed lights can be installed after the truck is built, so you just need access behind the driver's rear tail light.  See this guy installing them:

My assumption is you pull the tail light, unplug the bed lights, plug the new harness in between, and also up through your new hole in the bed.  

Also, since you tap into the trailer harness for power, assume you are backfeeding the system, so you are taking the interior switch (and it's power distribution module) out of the circuit.

• 2 weeks later...

Got the kit in the mail today, there are no further instructions included on what to do with the other connectors.  I sent them an email asking for some, I suspect you guys are correct tho - that it will connect via the bed light connection.  If I get an answer I'll do the install this weekend and take some pics along the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, romclean1 said:

Got the kit in the mail today, there are no further instructions included on what to do with the other connectors.  I sent them an email asking for some, I suspect you guys are correct tho - that it will connect via the bed light connection.  If I get an answer I'll do the install this weekend and take some pics along the way.

Would greatly appreciate the photos. 

1 hour ago, romclean1 said:

How long did it take for you to get yours? 

8 hours ago, romclean1 said:

Ordered on the 13th, arrived today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then mine should be here soon, I haven’t received anything other than my order confirmation from them. And now if you go on their site it shows it being sold out. 

Received this email from Gen5Diy this morning, which might explain the sold out status.  

we may have discovered an issue with the build of this harness.  I am going to send you a return label today for it.  When we designed it, it was originally for the old body style.  The new body still uses the same connections, however we just learned that the lights are not wired in a loop as in the old body.  If this is installed, only one cargo lamp will light off of our switch and we know that is not what customers are after.  We will get it back here and change the design for you and get it back to you.  I apologize for the inconvenience

7 hours ago, romclean1 said:

Received this email from Gen5Diy this morning, which might explain the sold out status.  

we may have discovered an issue with the build of this harness.  I am going to send you a return label today for it.  When we designed it, it was originally for the old body style.  The new body still uses the same connections, however we just learned that the lights are not wired in a loop as in the old body.  If this is installed, only one cargo lamp will light off of our switch and we know that is not what customers are after.  We will get it back here and change the design for you and get it back to you.  I apologize for the inconvenience

Well damn, wish they send out an email to people who orders are pending