Cold weather and electric cars

dieselfan1

1 hour ago, Slizzo said:

With a quick glance at that YouTube channel I posted earlier, their temps have consistently been well below 0* for quite a while.

You're right.  He did manage to find temperatures as low as -23°C.  All it took was for him to leave Oslo (metro pop. 1,600,000) and travel 320 km inland to Tynset (pop. 5,500.)  I wonder where the vast majority of electric vehicles are.

1 hour ago, Texas Daddy said:

-3C is 27F which average Oslo temp in Jan. We got power outages here in TX because (in part) frozen windmills. Solar sucks in snow too. Thank God we have gas vehicles to drive and get warm in during all of this crap. Every quick charge station around us is offline. If anything, this convinces me that electric vehicles are niche. Guess how easy it is to control population when you shut down power which also includes the ability to travel? Just imagine 5 years from now: "We need to flatten the meat consumption curve as its swelling CO2 levels. Shut down the grids!"

Plants need CO2, and we also will require a lot more land to grow food for the billions yet to be born. A nice warm Siberia and Canada will provide that much needed farm land. Climate change, like greed, is good. Is LA and NYC going underwater too great of a sacrifice to feed the rest of the world? I say NO! 6.2s for everyone! Do your part to stamp out hunger!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wouldn't be much of a loss if NY and Cali went under water

1 hour ago, Texas Daddy said:

Every quick charge station around us is offline. If anything, this convinces me that electric vehicles are niche. 

? 

There is so much more to explore with gas motors. Koenigsegg Free Valve technology, as just one example, has the ability today to drastically increase motor power density and as such deeply cut greenhouse emissions. It would require but one OEM to invest in the license and submit to the idea that most people really don't need a Blue Bird buss for daily transportation. 

So called 'Normal" technologies already have Toyota motors over 40% eff, Mazda and Benz at 50%. 25 years ago 25% was the normal. Current GM motors are about 30-35% efficient using DGI and AFM. Koenigsegg does not use DGI and to higher efficiencies than those motors. In the second video note before and after numbers. 

So far for me the 2 things I have equated to EV's is Butt Ugly and No Range. If that blue truck in the background in Zane's article is what they are thinking, Chevy truck fans are going to be disappointed. I like the route Ford is going better. Leaving it at least looking like a truck! 

If they  expect us to take these things seriously than don't make them look like a goofy novelty truck like the SSR was. Or the Hummer. Or simply stupid and un realistic Cyber truck. So far other that the E150 of Fords they all look ridiculous!

No working man on the Ranch or Construction site will be caught dead in something looking as stupid as that blue thing!

As Old Joe would say "Come On Man" !

Edited by Likarok
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Likarok said:

So far for me the 2 things I have equated to EV's is Butt Ugly and No Range. If that blue truck in the background in Zane's article is what they are thinking, Chevy truck fans are going to be disappointed. I like the route Ford is going better. Leaving it at least looking like a truck! 

If they  expect us to take these things seriously than don't make them look like a goofy novelty truck like the SSR was. Or the Hummer. Or simply stupid and un realistic Cyber truck. So far other that the E150 of Fords they all look ridiculous!

No working man on the Ranch or Construction site will be caught dead in something looking as stupid as that blue thing!

As Old Joe would say "Come On Man" !

I'd drive this one...if it lives up to the hype

Image result for r1t rivian offroad

I want to drive cross country towing a travel trailer getting less than 10 mpg. so it will never happen I'm not worried.
In the winter I waste more gas than some people use in a week and I really don't care . Last tank I got 10 mpg. There's plenty of it available.

How does an EV warm up the inside before you leave your house in the morning when it sits outside in below zero weather?
I'm not getting into a cold truck. I'm old.[emoji24]

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

You warm it while you’re inside and it’s still plugged in so when you unplug it’s warm and still at 100% range. Most EV owners plug in every night.

I'll own an EV as my only vehicle when it's the only thing available as a vehicle.

Electric motors are for slot cars

default_cheers.gif

You’ll change your mind when you drive one. I did [emoji846] pre-ordering my Cybertruck in June. Not the prettiest, but my god the specs and convenience of never going to a gas pump again. [emoji1319]
  • Haha 1

Not sure why the US is so hell bent on going EV this and that when more than half the world doesn't give a crap about it. I guess the world will be saved if we do it but when China still uses 60% coal to power their grid it's okay lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, tmo said:

You’ll change your mind when you drive one. I did emoji846.png pre-ordering my Cybertruck in June. Not the prettiest, but my god the specs and convenience of never going to a gas pump again. emoji1319.png

I'd say, "I doubt it" but that would leave room for doubt. 

I'm good with my gas pump. I drive Pepper 600 miles and take 15 minutes to fuel and return.

OR

I drive half way, plug in for four hours to finish the to the destination, stay there four hours and stop again on the way home.

12 hours charging or 15 minutes fueling

90% of my driving in OTR.

:crackup:

That be a hard NO.

Edited by Grumpy Bear

On 2/17/2021 at 9:12 PM, CamGTP said:

Not sure why the US is so hell bent on going EV this and that when more than half the world doesn't give a crap about it. I guess the world will be saved if we do it but when China still uses 60% coal to power their grid it's okay lol.

This is exactly why I am not buying in. Especially in Canada. We are not even 2% of the world problem. Until Russia, China and India, etc. get going on it the rest of the world is spinning it's wheels. At this point in North America there are power plants still using coal to. But most of the coal mined here is for steel making. I think in US there is one steel mill making steel with hydrogen and a few in Europe. So until we can get this changed how are we going to build all these windmills, solar farms and electric cars. 

On 2/18/2021 at 9:27 AM, Grumpy Bear said:

I'd say, "I doubt it" but that would leave room for doubt. 

I'm good with my gas pump. I drive Pepper 600 miles and take 15 minutes to fuel and return.

OR

I drive half way, plug in for four hours to finish the to the destination, stay there four hours and stop again on the way home.

12 hours charging or 15 minutes fueling

90% of my driving in OTR.

:crackup:

That be a hard NO.

Apparently fast charging is not a thing in this day and age.

• 2 weeks later...
Apparently fast charging is not a thing in this day and age.
The fast charging thing is only going to be in certain well populate areas. The problem is there are alot of places that people travel like myself that you drive long distances and might have access to a couple of gas stations. There will definitely not be any fast charge stations and be lucky to charge anything.

Then in places like where I live there are people that live with no power and have to travel hours to get to power.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk