camera/screen options?

just curious if theres anyway to  put a back up camera on my trailer and somehow put the feed on the built in monitor on the dash on my 18... love the back up cam but with the trailer on all i see is the ball and trailer toungue... would be great to see whats behind the trailer?   i have no idea if theres optional plugs on the back of the monitor or what?  anyone ever mess with it?  this would  require some sort of wireless camera and receiver but they must be out there?

10 hours ago, iron_786 said:

just curious if theres anyway to  put a back up camera on my trailer and somehow put the feed on the built in monitor on the dash on my 18... love the back up cam but with the trailer on all i see is the ball and trailer toungue... would be great to see whats behind the trailer?   i have no idea if theres optional plugs on the back of the monitor or what?  anyone ever mess with it?  this would  require some sort of wireless camera and receiver but they must be out there?

Maybe reach out to these guys:

• Like 1

I believe that etrailer.com has/had (or I may have found it on Amazon) a wireless camera that you can have project on your rearview mirror, but you have to buy a special mirror.  You might be able to adapt it to the Infortainment/radio screen, but you will most likely have to switch back/forth between the two.  My plan was to get the mirror adapter with this, have the camera connected to the 12V wire or tail light wire (plug pending), then I would be able to more safely change lanes.  Plus, when I have the trailer on my front hitch (when I get it installed), I'll be able to see where I'm pushing it to.

Edited by Ravenkeeper

i believe theres a bunch of electronics in our rear view mirrors now days.. for emergency calling and all that not sure what happens if you change out that mirror?  be so much easier if someone knew how to put a video switch in the equation and send the camera feed to the existing monitor?  for under a million bucks..  wireless cameras are prettty cheap these days... we already have the monitor ? must be someone with some switching knowledge?

On 2/22/2021 at 4:22 PM, Ravenkeeper said:

I believe that etrailer.com has/had (or I may have found it on Amazon) a wireless camera that you can have project on your rearview mirror, but you have to buy a special mirror.  You might be able to adapt it to the Infortainment/radio screen, but you will most likely have to switch back/forth between the two.  My plan was to get the mirror adapter with this, have the camera connected to the 12V wire or tail light wire (plug pending), then I would be able to more safely change lanes.  Plus, when I have the trailer on my front hitch (when I get it installed), I'll be able to see where I'm pushing it to.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BOV8APK/?coliid=I1O1HXEFQX0AZS&colid=14VYYB67R3AZP&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

price isnt bad.  dont really need a  unit with a monitor though..  some sort of dash button that could switch between the tailgate camera and the wireless one...   just cant believe somoene hasnt done this? i dont know much about audio/video cables or controls  someone must play with this stuff?  it would have to be real time tho with no lag as were backing  up a vehicle...

I had a bed camera installed by the dealer and, then, bought a front camera to be installed by the dealer.
The truck is at the dealership right now as they figure out how to get both to work - bought both on the Chevy web site.
The cameras work with the infotainment system. Press and hold the back button, the bed cam comes on - works great.
The front cam is a press and hold on the Home button - they're figuring that one out.
The backup cam still comes as it should.
Not sure if Chevy sells a camera for the infotainment screen that works for a trailer the same way.

Edited by MikeBMW
ckarification

I add my support to an inexpensive wireless combo like the ones found on Amazon.  I bought one with a 7" dash mount monitor and left it on full time when pulling my trailer.  When trailer was not attached, I switched view to the additional camera I mounted on my front license plate for parking assistance and recording duties!

I add my support to an inexpensive wireless combo like the ones found on Amazon.  I bought one with a 7" dash mount monitor and left it on full time when pulling my trailer.  When trailer was not attached, I switched view to the additional camera I mounted on my front license plate for parking assistance and recording duties!

Lets see your setup Don. That's what I want.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is in front view mode c/w my bicycle hidden from a shorter driver's view.  This unit also records.  My trailer was sold but keeping rear view on fulltime made a huge difference.  It amazed me how many drivers choose to drive in the blind spot behind our travel trailer!

Haloview1_LI.thumb.jpg.867ef260f7b9793e8a23d2de53adec18.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'd get pulled over with it there. Cops already look at me all the time. I would have to put it below the dash by the ashtray.
I like it. How much?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Canadian pricing wouldn't make sense so here is a link to the brand on Amazon in the US.  https://www.amazon.com/stores/Haloview/Haloview/page/13C5635C-BB10-475C-B3CB-F9D6008B3EDD   I agree that it could  appear to block your vision but I had no problems. I will add that for the price I found this to be a great setup but there is a slight delay with wireless operation.  This isn't a problem for seeing what's around you and for parking.  However, I wouldn't depend on wireless cameras for tight lane changes on a busy highway! I suspect the direct wiring option would eliminate any delay.