Wiper Blade Replacements

4 hours ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

Is it still possible to replace just the blade in the windshield wipers? Or is it better to just replace the whole thing?

I would suggest swapping the set to a new blade.  I prefer the Bosch brand of wipers.  Their premium line is the best I've used and last a long time before needing to be replaced.

I'm not sure if you can just replace the blade though.

• Like 1

For the longest time, I have always replaced just the rubber insert. But over the past few years, the rubber inserts are getting harder to find. And now there are multiple widths. Costs a little more, but much easier to just replace the entire blade assembly.

You can certainly get the inserts out.  I haven't been able to find anything to put back in.

Although I haven't been looking too hard.

I've been using these.  I'm happy with them and even with shipping, about half price through RA than at the store.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=11105973&cc=3443204&jsn=2535

I'm sold on OEM Direct Fit Replacement myself. Keep the windshield clean and don't run them when frozen to the windshield and they last for years. Makes that $20 price seem a bargain. Wife and I have 270,000 miles between us with once change of blades each. I just put the third on the passenger side of hers. Started them frozen and RIP...

GM has three tiers

OEM Direct Fit ... ACEDelco Advantage ... Professional 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I'm sold on OEM Direct Fit Replacement myself. Keep the windshield clean and don't run them when frozen to the windshield and they last for years. Makes that $20 price seem a bargain. Wife and I have 270,000 miles between us with once change of blades each. I just put the third on the passenger side of hers. Started them frozen and RIP...

GM has three tiers

OEM Direct Fit ... ACEDelco Advantage ... Professional 

For some reason I’m not finding anything on OEM Direct Fit, any chance you have a link?

Agree with GB, the factory blades are awesome when new, and do last quite a while.

Found this part number, not sure which level (did not know there were) it is: Blade (Replaced Part Number 23387857) - GM (84578275)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Agree with GB, the factory blades are awesome when new, and do last quite a while.

Found this part number, not sure which level (did not know there were) it is: Blade (Replaced Part Number 23387857) - GM (84578275)

That's the number listed in the owners manual

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

For some reason I’m not finding anything on OEM Direct Fit, any chance you have a link?

Take your VIN to the dealer and ask. It's what I do. 

Tell him you want the part the factory used to make the thing.

Not a fan of the OE wipers on the 2019 and up trucks. They downgraded from the nice beam design on the K2s to an old school spring arm with aero pieces tacked on.

Maybe the curvature of the windshield required it, or probably it’s a cost thing. Either way, nobody should pay $20+ a pop for those pieces of crap. I ditched them within a month because they lifted at highway speeds. They are ugly too.

https://www.acdelco.com/parts/brakes

There's an example. The part your looking for comes in the

Best: Blue packaging and says GM OE

Better: Gold packaging and says Professional

Good: Silver packaging and says Advantage

Great! Okay in a pinch and Crap. 

• Like 1

I agree with Grumpy here. I have been through many different brands of wiper blades and never found the best wiper blade other then OEM from the dealer and there right about the same price as the brands off the shelf. One thing that bugs me is wiper blades that make that flip flop noise going back and forth  across the windshield.  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

I agree with Grumpy here. I have been through many different brands of wiper blades and never found the best wiper blade other then OEM from the dealer and there right about the same price as the brands off the shelf. One thing that bugs me is wiper blades that make that flip flop noise going back and forth  across the windshield.  

A good cleaning and a 2X application of Rain-X will stop that. ? 

3 hours ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Same here and I easily get a year out of them. Probably because my vehicle is so often garaged. 

Edited by Minnvmax
  • Like 1