what camper are you pulling

I have a Transcend 32BHS - I guess I'm pushing close to 9000# when everything is loaded and 37' total length.  My truck has the 6.6 Gas engine, pulls great- I love it.

S9tB4bU.jpg

Edited by Limelight

I have a 2020 Silverado 3500 and went with a 2018 Keystone Impact 351. Picked it up in Waco, TX and pulled back to St. Louis, MO area. Truck did great! I also had the dealer swap out the 5th wheel for a Reese Goosebox 20k.

PXL_20201206_180701500_smaller.jpg

I pull a 2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L fifth wheel using an Andersen Ultimate hitch connected to the OEM gooseneck puck (the GM gooseneck ball was ordered by the dealer with my truck). The trailer weighs about 12K lbs and the truck pulls it effortlessly. The Duramax paired with the 10 speed transmission is a towing dream. The exhaust brake takes a bit of getting used to (coming from an old school Cummins with a PacBrake) but does a nice job holding speed on downhill grades. If I had any complaints, it's mostly how tall this truck is. The axles on my fifth wheel are already flipped.  The trailer rides just a touch "nose up" but it's acceptable. I haven't towed enough on flat to semi-flat ground yet to judge mpg. But, I wasn't impressed with the mpg I got pulling up into the local mountains (in the neighborhood of 9mpg). 

I too am curious on this topic.  I have a 6.6 gas and was wonder what the biggest trailer people are pulling with it.  Looking to get a toy hauler with a 5th wheel for some weekend getaways, not a every weekend situation.  Just don't want to go to big to find out I should have went smaller.

I'm pulling a 30' Airstream Flying Cloud behind my LTZ.  It's perfect for two persons who travel.  No weight distribution or anti-sway is needed - just drop it on the hitch and go. 

Truck & Camper (4) 4x6.jpg

On 3/2/2021 at 9:54 AM, xray58 said:

I am pulling a 2017 41.5 foot 5th wheel Model 38EL. The truck is a 2020 3500 HC. I added a 45 Gal aux diesel tank. I have the B&W Companion puck hitch. It pulls great!

20191229_095555_HDR.jpg

Xray,

Just purchased a new 2021 Cedar Creek 377bh, have a 2500hd with a 2" level. Think ill have issues? 

According to online specs for the new 2500HD if your going diesel your max payload is 3500lbs and max tow is 18500 for the crew cab SRW. If going gas max payload is 3700lbs and max tow is 14500 for tow behind and 16500 for 5th wheel also crew cab model. I did not see a spec for the hitch weight but that would be on the hitch itself. Payload is key to watch when purchasing a 5th wheel as it determines what the truck will handle as pin weight. You want to be at least 800lbs under the payload max to determine  pin weight to accommodate for passengers and cargo. Pin weight is usually 22% of GVWR of trailer. So a 5th wheel weighing 13,000 would have a pin max pin weight of 2860lbs which would work well for the gasser but might be close on the diesel. These are just max estimates as each truck has a sticker on the door stating real weights as options change this number. My advice is to go with a 3500 and not limit yourself in trailer size. The cost is not much more for the capability and you will be safer. 

Dhami79, Congrats on the new Cedar Creek! The pin weight on the 377BH says 2150 lbs. I think you should be OK. As always, consider the weight of all additions. Generator, hitch, washer/dryer, tools, etc. Guessing you will be close once you add up everything but should be OK. Hit the scales once you get it loaded up so you know where you stand.

One thing I found out are the Westlake H rated tires on my Cedar Creek were only rated at 65 MPH. I swapped them out for Goodyear G114 H rated tires rated at 75 MPH.

On 3/8/2021 at 10:16 AM, GMC4Zee said:

According to online specs for the new 2500HD if your going diesel your max payload is 3500lbs and max tow is 18500 for the crew cab SRW. If going gas max payload is 3700lbs and max tow is 14500 for tow behind and 16500 for 5th wheel also crew cab model. I did not see a spec for the hitch weight but that would be on the hitch itself. Payload is key to watch when purchasing a 5th wheel as it determines what the truck will handle as pin weight. You want to be at least 800lbs under the payload max to determine  pin weight to accommodate for passengers and cargo. Pin weight is usually 22% of GVWR of trailer. So a 5th wheel weighing 13,000 would have a pin max pin weight of 2860lbs which would work well for the gasser but might be close on the diesel. These are just max estimates as each truck has a sticker on the door stating real weights as options change this number. My advice is to go with a 3500 and not limit yourself in trailer size. The cost is not much more for the capability and you will be safer. 

are you talking 5th wheel,  as I always thought tongue weight was 12-15%?  maybe pin is different then tongue?