2500/3500 GMC HD Diesel - Real World Towing?

Hi,

I have 2020 GMC AT4 1500 with 6.2 - towing up to 9,900 lb capacity now - adding a hitch pull toy box that will be over 10k - so considering moving up to a 2022 2500 or 3500 HD.  Like the look and features of the AT4 and the Ford Tremor.

Looking for some real world feedback on the AT4 HD's that people are using to tow - what are you towing (tongue weight and total weight) and what is your set up - using WD hitch - sway control?    Is wind an issue - do you get sucked into large trucks or vans as you pass (or they do).   

Good, bad and the ugly? 

Over on Ford Tremor 250/350 HD-  site a lot of issues and they are not towing big loads - 7,500 lb to 9,000 lb hitch pull enclosed 24' trailer - lots of concern with sway control and being sucked into vehiches in neighboring lanes etc.   I have some of that in my 1/2 ton AT4 towing similar weight - but with load range C tires and soft offroad springs and less than half the payload of the Tremor HD - so it sort of surprised me.

So wondering if the AT4 owners are having similar experiences - versus the other SRW diesel options for  towing 

Thx 

Edited by Supercup

I had a 2020 2500 AT4 w/ Duramax. I loved it and it towed like a dream. I have a 7x16 deep V tandem axle enclosed trailer that I used for toys and such.  And a 16’ flat bed car hauler. 

Both tow extremely well. 

We ordered a 5th wheel toy hauler that is due to arrive soon. 

Because of that, I sold the 2500 and ordered a 3500 AT4 w/Duramax. It should arrive in a few weeks. I have no doubt it will handle the towing duties without any problems. 

• Like 1

I have a 2020 AT4 HD Duramax. I bought it Oct ‘19 and have put 25k miles. Mostly towing a 35’ 8.5k lbs travel trailer with a 1k lb of hitch weight. I load the truck up pretty good too (40 gals extra fresh water, 10 gals extra fuel, 100lb generator, gear, 500lbs of people. We boondock a lot. Took it to the scales and the truck is at 10,500 and the trailer at 7,500.

I’ve towed the trailer about 20k miles. I’ve been up and down the steepest grades in the US. I regularly take our trailer to the mountains 1-2x per month (summer and winter). I’ve towed in winds up to 40 MPH on a few occasions but mostly see them in the 15-25 MPH range. I have an equalizer WDH.

No mods to the truck but it’s fully optioned and has 3100 lbs of payload.

Truck is an absolute beast for towing. I can drag my trailer up a 6% grade at 75 MPH. I don’t get any sway in winds or sucked in when passing semis. The exhaust break is awesome. I just set it to 55-60 coming down grades and don’t need the brakes unless the road is winding. I dragged the trailer through dirt, snow, heavy rain, etc. no problem.

We’re now looking at fifth wheels and my only regret is not getting the 3500 AT4 SRW with the different axle and overlord spring. This truck has more than enough power to tow the fifth wheels we are looking at but some of them will put the truck over the payload on the door sticker. Sure, I can add springs or bags to stabilize the truck and reduce sag, but I don’t want to be over the door sticker in case there’s legal liability. So, I’m limited in which 5th wheels we can get. I may just get a smaller 5th wheel or upgrade the truck to a 3500 DRW so I can tow anything on the market!!

We’re looking at 5th wheels that range from 35’ and 12-13k lbs loaded (wouldn’t put anything but people in the truck) all the way up to toy haulers that are 39’ and 16k lbs loaded. Can’t do the latter without a new truck... even though I’ve seen trucks tow way over their payload regularly, I don’t want an issue or legal/ financial negligence liability.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As a side note, the AT4 HD is no different in towing capability compared to the other similar GM HD's, its an appearance package.  The half ton version gets a 2" lift.

• Like 2

well not exactly what you're asking for but pretty similar!

I have a 2020 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW Standard Bed and I'm hauling a 42' 5th Wheel, when all loaded up the trailer is about 19-20k lbs. It's a toy hauler so that keeps my pin weight down to safe levels for the SRW. When loaded with toys in the garage which is almost always, a SXS, my pin weight is about 2600-2700 lbs. 

I just finished a long trip, left Oregon in December and went to Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California. It handled everything like a champ! The Duramax definitely had no power issues. 

Oh, I'm also not using the standard 5th wheel kingpin and hitch in the bed. I installed a Gen-Y Gooseneck conversion hitch and I absolutely love it. also frees up the bed of the truck and I never have to worry about removing the hitch to get my bed back. 

Edited by FirstAscent
  • Like 1

Trailers aren't all the same and each may have different characteristics when towing.  Trailer sway on a hitch pull is easily controlled with a weight distributing hitch with sway control. Once setup, your outfit should tow in a straight line and be little affected by big rigs passing at speed.  Contractors that tow more than one type of trailer have a challenge because the trailers may require different setups.  That doesn't appear to be your circumstance and a 2500HD will easily pull a 10,000 lb trailer.

2020 2500 AT4, I’ve towed our 37’ fifth wheel which ways around 11,500-12,000 when loaded and a pin weight of 2197 with no issues, I did install the airlift load lifter 5000 ultimate air bags and that definitely helped with any sag and greatly improved my steering and handling. Love the truck, the camera setups on these trucks are incredible. fc13e3c460abf725cfb103b37253ec64.jpg

• Like 1

2020 2500 AT4, I’ve towed our 37’ fifth wheel which ways around 11,500-12,000 when loaded and a pin weight of 2197 with no issues, I did install the airlift load lifter 5000 ultimate air bags and that definitely helped with any sag and greatly improved my steering and handling. Love the truck, the camera setups on these trucks are incredible. fc13e3c460abf725cfb103b37253ec64.jpg

Which model is that? The 337?

We’ve looked at the 337, 340... and have also looked at the 350G. Wife wants one of the first two... I want the 350G. Awesome rigs all around!

3 hours ago, cNate said:

We’ve looked at the 337, 340... and have also looked at the 350G. Wife wants one of the first two... I want the 350G. Awesome rigs all around!

We ordered a 350G in January that should be here any day now. 

It’s the reason we decided to jump from the 2500 to the 3500. The 2500 could have handled it, but the weights would have been over sticker. 

• Like 1

It’s the 311BHS, works out great with us and the kids, they’ve got their own space and half bath in the bunkhouse, makes it nice. The outdoor kitchen is awesome too, nice to have that extra fridge outside keeps you from having to go in and out all the time just to get a drink.

• Like 1

We ordered a 350G in January that should be here any day now. 

It’s the reason we decided to jump from the 2500 to the 3500. The 2500 could have handled it, but the weights would have been over sticker. 

I’m exactly in the same boat as you. I have a black AT4 HD 2500 Duramax loaded. I also
Don’t want to be over the door sticker. Wish I had got a 3500. Now I’m thinking to get the 3500 but maybe go to the DRW Denali so I can upgrade to anything else down the line. I get a new vehicle every 5 years or less so maybe just the 3500 SRW... Maybe go white since I’ve had 2 black trucks in a row. Love the black though.

It’s the 311BHS, works out great with us and the kids, they’ve got their own space and half bath in the bunkhouse, makes it nice. The outdoor kitchen is awesome too, nice to have that extra fridge outside keeps you from having to go in and out all the time just to get a drink.

Beautiful rig. We have a bunk model now. 2018 Keystone Cougar 29BHS. Bought 2.5 years ago and have racked up 20k+ miles. We have a 7 & 4 year old so the bunks have been great.

• Like 1

Just now, cNate said:

I’m exactly in the same boat as you. I have a black AT4 HD 2500 Duramax loaded. I also
Don’t want to be over the door sticker. Wish I had got a 3500. Now I’m thinking to get the 3500 but maybe go to the DRW Denali so I can upgrade to anything else down the line. I get a new vehicle every 5 years or less so maybe just the 3500 SRW... Maybe go white since I’ve had 2 black trucks in a row. Love the black though.

I hear you!  I loved my 2500 AT4 in Dark Sky Metallic, but they’re not offering that color in AT4 trim this year. 

We almost went dually this time. I have enough room that I could squeeze it in the garage, but we’re not full timers with the 5er, and we felt the dually would push the truck/life balance too far off. 

The 3500 SRW standard bed allowed us to pull off all of our add ons from the 2500 to reuse on the 3500. Hell, I had even installed Air Lift bags that I ended up taking right back off after just two weeks.  It took me a while to reach that decision as we were very close to purchasing a dually, but once we landed on the 3500 SRW it feels like the perfect fit. 

I too wish we had gone straight to a 3500. The ride is equally as good and the cost difference is insignificant. With the used diesel HD truck market being so hot right now, I got almost what I paid for my 2500 on trade. 

I just wish the new truck would get here!  I’ve been truckless since 2/15/21!  

• Like 2