3.0L Duramax regrets

46 minutes ago, Dirk13 said:

Speed cut off? Isn’t it like 98 mph? Man you must really not like being beside them if you need to pass them doing almost 100.

No rAgrets on my 3.0 in 13,000 miles

Oh I’ll back off at 120. 

About 2 months ago we bought a 21 Yukon Denali XL DMAX. I'm sorry but if someone is claiming lags then there has to be something wrong with their VVT because ours is snappy. We traded a 17 6.2L and this is way better economy at 9.8L/100 vs 18.5L/100 and this is far better off the commuter line in stop and go. Biggest delay is the autostop BS that will be getting turned off here as the temperature drops.

• 4 weeks later...

I don’t get why everyone is comparing a 6.2L engine to a 3.0L engine!? Does anyone not get that the 6.2L is twice the size? So saying that a 6.2 has more power/towing capacity would in fact be correct as it should be..The 3.0 was designed for the people that still tow, but don’t need a 2500-3500 and want better fuel economy. I was in the same boat. I went from owning three 6.6L to a 5.3 now the 3.0 and I get the ride comfort of a 1/2 ton pickup and great fuel economy (38.6 best). Only thing I would like to be able to do to this truck is to delete it and run efi live on it. So far this truck has been all over the US on pipeline jobs and I’ve been very happy with it!

• Like 1

One can go for the cheapest and get the 5.3 like I did. I am content with its performance and gas mileage. I could go for power and get the 6.2. I could go for fuel economy and get the 3.0. Since I drive a lot less than the average Joe, I stuck with the 5.3 which is not too bad considering I have been averaging 21 mpg or 11.2 l/100km over 400 miles (although it is 80% highway). The best mpg I have gotten is 29 mpg.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:46 PM, OliverDennis52 said:

You can't simply push the pedal to the floor, it doesn't respond that way.  Press, don't jam, the pedal and stay in the power band down low and mine launches right past them. Love every bit of it.

This.  This right here.  Even on GM gas engines this works.  I can consistently run faster 0-60 times doing a quick press onto the pedal instead of mashing it from a dig.  Mashing it just fires the TQ management up and then opens the power, a nice quick linear push into the throttle from a dig lets the power come on as intended.  

You can even see this in LMLs and L5P the big diesels.  Same thing, give it a nice moderate or quick press and they $hit and get.  You stomp the pedal and nobody is home for 2 seconds and then the power comes on.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

Mash it to the floor and it thinks its being asked for a downshift

(electronic version of the days-gone-by 'shift-down linkage')

If not wanting the wait for the downshift delay try ramping the pedal to 1/2-3/4 instead of mashing it to the floor. 

Diesels like the 3.0L have the powerband and MUCH lower rpm than the gassers.

Makes it much less likely that downshifting will be required.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 21 3.0L AT4, has 12,000kms (7,500 miles) on it... I have had the extended crank issue in the hotter months, seems better now... but just checked the engine oil & it was a whole quart low with 5,000kms (3,100 miles) on the oil change.

It will become a 2022 AT4 Limited with a 6.2L this week.  If I wanted to drive something that may or may not start & has to have its oil monitored, I'd have chosen a ford.

I liked the empty fuel economy of my 3.0L but it was no better than a gas engine when trailering and no better in city driving... so yes, I do regret the 3.0L a bit.

That said, I got drug money for it, so it's a no-brainer to trade on the 22 6.2L.  My 21 was an absolute base AT4, the only option was the 3.0L... this new 22 has every option except carbon pro (and start/stop not available due to chip shortage, I'm not heart broken about that at all) and I am paying $2,700 difference, so hand that to the 3.0L for holding value... I'm easily buying $6,000 more truck and moving up a year.

On 9/29/2021 at 2:43 PM, Dirk13 said:

Speed cut off? Isn’t it like 98 mph? Man you must really not like being beside them if you need to pass them doing almost 100.

No rAgrets on my 3.0 in 13,000 miles

I would agree with Karnut. ****ing around on two lane 75+ mph roads in Texas is a literal death sentence. There’s been many instances where cars are doing 80-85, and little shoulder. Especially in West Texas. There’s been many instances coming from Wichita falls to far west Texas where I’ve had to pass a semi on one of those roads, and before you know it there’s another car in the distance barreling your way. Can’t just lolligag.  

Edited by F-150stxguy
  • Like 1

I've the 6.2 in a Denali.  Love the power of it.  Love the smooth ride.  Empty, the fuel economy is fine.  Basically it is a car in truck format.  Hate the fuel tank size (too small), hate the bed capacity (limited), absolutely hate the 8sp transmission, hate that it requires high grade gas (octane +) and I dislike the mirrors.  Win/lose. 

Ram has great mirrors.  They can be pushed up and become tow mirrors  Such a good solution and so functional.    Don't know why GM cannot build a Denali 1500 with more tow payload available and a bigger gas tank.  The 6.2 has more than enough torque to tow, and more than enough HP to make it hop.  A 1500 is a good fit, but I want some of the capability a 2500 provides but do not want a 2500. 

Ref the 3.0l, I've read it requires plenty of DEF, uses a fair bit of oil and it isn't without hiccups.  I won't buy another GM until I can pick the options that work for me..  currently grouping them or limiting them to packages works for GM... me not so much.  The small mill diesel does nothing in terms of addressing the shortfalls I see.  Just a different engine.. truck remains the same.    

Pointing to the my experience with my 1500.  Too light and the 2500 too heavy.  I wish a 1500 could do the job a 2500 could.  The new style of 1500 has a much larger body than the previous generation, perhaps it is heavier, more capable.  I'll have to test drive one.

• 7 months later...

I love my 3.0 I have a 2022 Cadillac 4x4 ESV with the 3.0 It is not quite as quick as my 2016 Gasser but it has more torque response if you know what I’m saying. It’s got grunt. And that’s what I like. This thing in 4 wheel low will rip a house off its foundation. I agree in a perfect world it could have a little more pep around 70 mph full throttle load but I bet a future tune will help with that. These motors are engineering marvels. To see what they have achieved is truly amazing. All the bad parts of owning a diesel are gone. I love my 3.0 and will never go back to a gasser. 

On 6/24/2022 at 2:00 PM, Peltel2 said:

I love my 3.0 I have a 2022 Cadillac 4x4 ESV with the 3.0 It is not quite as quick as my 2016 Gasser but it has more torque response if you know what I’m saying. It’s got grunt. And that’s what I like. This thing in 4 wheel low will rip a house off its foundation. I agree in a perfect world it could have a little more pep around 70 mph full throttle load but I bet a future tune will help with that. These motors are engineering marvels. To see what they have achieved is truly amazing. All the bad parts of owning a diesel are gone. I love my 3.0 and will never go back to a gasser. 

The bad parts today are at least in my area around 7 dollar a gallon for fuel then add in def. The worst part is not just the fact the price is blowing up on this fuel, but the talk of shortages are what is most concerning.

I’ll take an late 90s 5.9 and early 2000s 7.3 diesel over any other. Bulletproof and low maintenance. Some we tuned for amazing performance. Even the 6.5s in half tons got decent mileage. Injection pumps usually gave up at 100K miles. Probably a cheaper replacement than the newer model belt replacement. I know I’m old school. I like stuff that don’t break or break the bank.