3.0L Duramax regrets

Anyone else regretting going with the 3.0L Duramax? 

In all of my previous GM trucks I’ve had the 4.8, the 5.3, the 6.0, and 6.2 gassers and I thought I would try something different this time, especially since the duramax was reduced in price for ‘21. 

After driving it for 5k miles I’m having regrets. Sure the mpg’s are slightly better, nowhere near the advertised mpg’s though, but the overall power to me just isn’t there.
When I go to pass someone at 65mph and put it to the floor, it reminds me of the seriously underpowered 4.8 I had in my 2008 Silverado. Just doggy and laggy and doesn’t seem to have the power to propel it forward quickly. The 4.8 had slightly more hp at 285hp but a disappointing 295lb.-ft torque. I hated everything about that engine. 

The duramax eventually gets me there but when I’m having to go around a semi I don’t need to be wasting time while my rubberband winds up. I understand it’s ‘only’ 277hp. I would like it if there was a chip that could get it to 300hp but then I’d be worried about the unintended wear and tear on all of the other components maybe not being able to withstand the added power over the long term. 

Looking back I really should have waited and found a 6.2 AT4 in the color I wanted. 

4 minutes ago, Wormydog1724 said:

In all of my previous GM trucks I’ve had the 4.8, the 5.3, the 6.0, and 6.2 gassers and I thought I would try something different this time, especially since the duramax was reduced in price for ‘21. 

After driving it for 5k miles I’m having regrets. Sure the mpg’s are slightly better, nowhere near the advertised mpg’s though, but the overall power to me just isn’t there.
When I go to pass someone at 65mph and put it to the floor, it reminds me of the seriously underpowered 4.8 I had in my 2008 Silverado. Just doggy and laggy and doesn’t seem to have the power to propel it forward quickly. The 4.8 had slightly more hp at 285hp but a disappointing 295lb.-ft torque. I hated everything about that engine. 

The duramax eventually gets me there but when I’m having to go around a semi I don’t need to be wasting time while my rubberband winds up. I understand it’s ‘only’ 277hp. I would like it if there was a chip that could get it to 300hp but then I’d be worried about the unintended wear and tear on all of the other components maybe not being able to withstand the added power over the long term. 

Looking back I really should have waited and found a 6.2 AT4 in the color I wanted. 

No regrets here, I love the 3.0L Duramax.  

Sound like you are after the horsepower, so I'd say obviously the Duramax isn't for you.  If you want that horsepower, you got to side with the 6.2L for sure.  Just look at 0-60mph times between the two engines for example.

This summer, Banks will debut the Derringer tuner for the 3.0L Duramax, while other aftermarket manufacturers have cold-air intakes available currently if that's something you would be interest in.

I bought my 3.0L Duramax for the MPG and expected longevity and durability over a gas engine, since I drive 30k miles per year typically.

I couldn't get the truck I wanted at the dealer so I just ordered exactly what I wanted.  Maybe see if the dealer would work with you on a swap to a truck with the 6.2L?  They could be willing to make a deal since the 3.0L is in demand.

• Like 2

I hear what you are saying, but, i dont know what you are comparing to but mpg for me it is far better than my 14 5.3. The 3.0 really shines on highway at 60-65 mph. I agree the passing power isnt there but the 270hp told me that. I tow a small trailer pretty often and that is where it shines for me, gear searching is greatly reduced and the powertrain is far smoother imo than the gassers. Would i be happy with more top end power yes, but i knew what i was getting with the diesel. Im happy with it.

Well, I see fuel prices only going in one direction for the next four years. If it gets real bad you will feel better about not having to feed a 6.2 $5/gal premium.

I know I love the 6.2 power, but I am open to going to the 3.0 for practical purposes depending on how things look in the future.

• Like 2

Always a problem with Diesels is instant power as you have to wait for the turbo to build boost before it will take off. I had a 04 Duramax LLY when I towed boats and most of the time pulling out from a side street with traffic I had to put my foot on the brake and give about half throttle to build boost before I could shoot out onto the road quickly. Truck has been gone for awhile due to not needing it for towing and went back to gas.

People always say they got the Diesel for MPG over gas MPG and if you think about it the Diesel is around $7000 more then the gas motor now 7 grand can buy you a hell of a lot of gas with the difference of maybe 3-4 more mpg in the diesel you will never see the savings over the life of the diesel not to mention the maintenance the diesel over gas.

The 3.0 Duramax has to have the oil pump belt replaced at 150,000 miles and the tranny has to be pulled out to access the belt now what kinda piss poor job is that design. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Wormydog1724 said:

Have you had it looked at?

iirc, there was at least one item published regarding a problem that resulted in performance issues.  

Of course it's hard to make comparisons over the internet, but I'm not finding this one to be doggy or underpowered when making a throttle heavy maneuver.  

19 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

Always a problem with Diesels is instant power as you have to wait for the turbo to build boost before it will take off. I had a 04 Duramax LLY when I towed boats and most of the time pulling out from a side street with traffic I had to put my foot on the brake and give about half throttle to build boost before I could shoot out onto the road quickly. Truck has been gone for awhile due to not needing it for towing and went back to gas.

People always say they got the Diesel for MPG over gas MPG and if you think about it the Diesel is around $7000 more then the gas motor now 7 grand can buy you a hell of a lot of gas with the difference of maybe 3-4 more mpg in the diesel you will never see the savings over the life of the diesel not to mention the maintenance the diesel over gas.

The 3.0 Duramax has to have the oil pump belt replaced at 150,000 miles and the tranny has to be pulled out to access the belt now what kinda piss poor job is that design. 

The 3.0 diesel is $1500 cheaper than the 6.2 and only around 1k more than the 5.3. Plus, it gets the 10 speed instead of the 8 speed (paired with the 5.3 in the lower trims). 

Edited by OnTheReel
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

3.0 is only about $1500 over the 5.3. And it has much better response than the lly you had. Its the lack of top end HP that he is talking about

Back in my diesel driving days 165-220 horsepower the only saving grace was tuning. Never had a wear problem. Gas engines didn’t have much more. But diesel we’re easer to tune then. Now gas engines are a lot more efficient and fun to drive. Can’t really see an advantage to diesel these days. Unless pulling really heavy. Then I would go to a two ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Wormydog1724 said:

I would like it if there was a chip that could get it to 300hp but then I’d be worried about the unintended wear and tear on all of the other components maybe not being able to withstand the added power over the long term. 

I have an ‘05 duranax that I tuned +100hp and +200lbs of torque. I did it around 30k miles. I now have north of 250k miles and not a single problem with the engine or drivetrain. 

I do not have that Truck with that engine. But your asking for a Diesel to do what a gas engine is better at..  OFF The line HP which is usually at higher RPM..  The Diesel engine preforms best at at lower rps and produces power when its under a LOAD .I Blame this on your salesperson. , It sounds like they sold you the wrong truck.  Diesel engines . Duramax is for pulling Hauling . Its not going to give you that Sports car put your head back into you seat moment.

My opinion   from years of Driving Construction Trucks and Equipment a Diesel is a Different kind of power ... 

Hook a trailer to it and you will see where it shines .

• Like 1