Tires - Dry Rot?

Tires suck lately.

Got a picture of the DOT codes on the sidewall?  Should be 11 or 12 digits and its printed on there like this:   XXXX XXXX XXXX.  The last 4 numbers are usually in an oval.  Last 4 is the production week and year of the tire.  

Edited by newdude

Doesn't look normal to me. My '17 Silverado (with a 12-16 build date) has the 20" wheels/tires with original Goodyear tires do not have any side wall cracks @ 36k miles. Are both sides of truck like this (Driver/passenger)? Or just one side. Looks like it sat a lot in the sun. That's just my opinion. 

Not normal. However, depends on a lot. How long have you had the tires?

12/17 build date. I bought it brand new 05/18.

Tires suck lately.

Got a picture of the DOT codes on the sidewall?  Should be 11 or 12 digits and its printed on there like this:   XXXX XXXX XXXX.  The last 4 numbers are usually in an oval.  Last 4 is the production week and year of the tire.  

It sucks man.

78831cb52e66d885992451b2455f2772.jpg

So 36th week of 2017?

Doesn't look normal to me. My '17 Silverado (with a 12-16 build date) has the 20" wheels/tires with original Goodyear tires do not have any side wall cracks @ 36k miles. Are both sides of truck like this (Driver/passenger)? Or just one side. Looks like it sat a lot in the sun. That's just my opinion. 

All four are like this. No extreme exposure to sun. I live in Pennsylvania.
  • Like 1

36 week of 2017
Between September 4th and 10th 2017. 

Every tire has a birth date—the day it was manufactured—and an expiration date that is six years from that manufacture date. Most automobile manufacturers warn drivers to replace vehicle tires after six years. To wait any longer than that is a gamble with tire integrity and is risky for drivers.May 17, 2019
  • Like 2

That rubber, especially near the bead, is a lot thicker than you think. The Dueler A/T RHS tires on our 09 Z71 did that when they were 3 yrs old, and I ran them for another 6 years, up to 75k miles, when they were bald, with no issues. And that includes numerous potholes, trips up to the 97mph speed governor, etc. 

If you are worried, Bridgestone will warranty for that for 4 years. Prorated. But at this point, you’ll pay most of the cost for a set of replacement tires that may do the same thing. 

Edited by MaverickZ71
  • Like 1

With the "checking" just on the bead area and no evidence of dry rot due to UV exposure on the sidewall, something strange is indeed going on here, perhaps like Karnut alluded to, under-inflation. If any members here have tire shop experience perhaps they will weigh in with expert opinion.

36 week of 2017
Between September 4th and 10th 2017. 

Every tire has a birth date—the day it was manufactured—and an expiration date that is six years from that manufacture date. Most automobile manufacturers warn drivers to replace vehicle tires after six years. To wait any longer than that is a gamble with tire integrity and is risky for drivers.May 17, 2019  

Tire Safety: Expiration Dates – Ag Safety and Health

https://ag-safety.extension.org › tire-safety-expiration-dates   A bit early to date out. 

Thank you!

Looks like it has been run under inflated a-bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I monitor it on the screen, check them routinely with a tire pressure gauge and check the monthly diagnostic report emails.

I keep them at the recommended 35psi.

That rubber, especially near the bead, is a lot thicker than you think. The Dueler A/T RHS tires on our 09 Z71 did that when they were 3 yrs old, and I ran them for another 6 years, up to 75k miles, when they were bald, with no issues. And that includes numerous potholes, trips up to the 97mph speed governor, etc. 

If you are worried, Bridgestone will warranty for that for 4 years. Prorated. But at this point, you’ll pay most of the cost for a set of replacement tires that may do the same thing. 

Good to hear but still a bit unsettling. I’ve never seen it happen on any of my cars over the years.

With the "checking" just on the bead area and no evidence of dry rot due to UV exposure on the sidewall, something strange is indeed going on here, perhaps like Karnut alluded to, under-inflation. If any members here have tire shop experience perhaps they will weigh in with expert opinion.

No sir. 35 psi routinely.