In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I'm a 40+ year DIY guy and a Chevy loyal.  Seems like every time I purchase a new one and it comes time to change the oil & filter the robot installing the filter must use a jack hammer as they are so damn tight!

Well I just attempted to change out my PF63E, which was changed the first time by the dealer (freebie) and the tech that did it must have had training from that robot at the factory.

I used my trusty metal strap type wrench and all it did was to start crushing the side of the tinfoil canister.  What's the latest and greatest method for removal of this filter from the inconvenient little cubby hole along side of the oil pan??  TIA   Sorry for the rant ☹️

On my 2009 and 2012 5.3 I used K&N filters with the 1” nut because I had a hard time getting anything on the filter as there wasn’t much room. On my 20 I have gone back to the AC Delco filter and use a cup wrench. I do have something similar to the 3 jaw for a backup. I have in the past driven a screwdriver into the filter and twisted it off, but you better hope it comes off or you are towing it to someone that can.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, Steve-2019 said:

I'm a 40+ year DIY guy and a Chevy loyal.  Seems like every time I purchase a new one and it comes time to change the oil & filter the robot installing the filter must use a jack hammer as they are so damn tight!

Well I just attempted to change out my PF63E, which was changed the first time by the dealer (freebie) and the tech that did it must have had training from that robot at the factory.

I used my trusty metal strap type wrench and all it did was to start crushing the side of the tinfoil canister.  What's the latest and greatest method for removal of this filter from the inconvenient little cubby hole along side of the oil pan??  TIA   Sorry for the rant ☹️

When using a strap wrench on a oil filter NEVER put the strap in the middle of the filter have it on the bottom where the in-dents are that's the strongest spot on the filter, you will crush it everytime putting it in the middle.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, Silverado4x4 said:

When using a strap wrench on a oil filter NEVER put the strap in the middle of the filter have it on the bottom where the in-dents are that's the strongest spot on the filter, you will crush it everytime putting it in the middle.

Exactly, I never do the middle.  With the limited area around the filter on the 6.2L engine the only real spot is at the bottom where I tried.  

8 hours ago, diyer2 said:

This

Performance Tool B Cap Oil Filter Wrench

That's all I ever use on any vehicle with a canister filter.