Front 6-Piston Brembo Brake Upgrade System

I decided to start a new thread on this dealer-installed GM performance upgrade, in the hopes of receiving some answers to questions I have and in turn, providing information I've gathered since owning this truck for a short time.

A little background on the truck. I bought and received my 2019 LTZ used through a dealer with 7K miles, with the 6.2L L87 / 10 speed transmission in May 2021. The previous owner had the Brembo upgrade installed and soon afterwards, installed the Kooks LT headers / Y-pipe with green cats.  

The latter I'm thinking of either doing another thread or maybe a build thread to make simple?

Build code: 5JL Performance Brake Kit option

Zane's thread on the kit - 

P/N 84766666 Formally P/N 23505023 (MSRP $2895)

Front 6-Piston Brembo Brake Upgrade System in Red with Chevrolet Performance Logo

• Replaces the brake rotors, calipers and pads
  • Compatible with 20- to 22-inch OE and Accessory Wheels
  • Duralife 14 inch rotors offer +84% increase in brake area and a +42% increase in rotor area to increase thermal capacity
  • Testing resulted in the performance package providing -31% reduction in pedal force at max deceleration and -12% reduction in pedal travel

I can say in regards to the last three points, the performance brake package fits within my aftermarket 20 inch Centerline Tomahawk Stingray III just fine, with roughly ~1/2 inch from caliper to wheel sidewall. No complaints of the braking performance and the pedal force and travel would be close to description.  The couple times I had to use the brakes hard, those six pistons really clamp on and do what's intended and work exceptionally well.

Also offered (essentially GM OE rear matching painted single piston caliper, not Brembo)

P/N 84690453

Rear Brake Upgrade System (MSRP $575)

Brembo site has a Brembo upgrade (06/01/2021) pdf, larger than what I can attach, but provides part/kit numbers, notes and breakdown descriptions. This is a GT Kit. 

Questions I have at the start, I've noticed the brake lines don't need to be replaced when upgrading to this package, but do if I want to level or lift.

Anyone have that OE brake line part number or better yet, aftermarket braided stainless line brand numbers for leveling the truck from a factory LTZ? If using Eibach pro kit?

Brembo3.jpg

Brembo2.jpg

Brembo1.jpg

• Like 1

its a bit pricey but i would love those brakes on my truck.......not many ever think about stopping but its a huge performance benefit!....makes a difference but again its a lil pricey 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Dunn said:

its a bit pricey but i would love those brakes on my truck.......not many ever think about stopping but its a huge performance benefit!....makes a difference but again its a lil pricey 

No argument here about that. If it wasn't already on the truck and for the money spent, I'd be looking at the Wilwood package for all four corners.

Eventually I'd like to see about dual piston for the rears.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 3:55 PM, taze said:

That's a sexy setup! Do Brembo truck brakes make as much noise as their car brakes?

I have them on mine, I really like them! I do wish the rear were brembo also, but its a minor point.

they operate just like a factory-stock brake, no unusual noise, no unusual characteristics, just a lot more braking power than the stock brakes.

Having all the extra material in the brake is nice for towing over the mountains, much more metal for heat to dissipate into. although the stock brakes are perfectly good also, I got the brembos as much for looks as performance. They don't disappoint in either area.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know the brake pad part number for these 6 piston brembos? I just purchased the calipers used on ebay, but the calipers did not have rotors or brake pads. I found the 16" rotors, but no luck on the part number for the pads.

31 minutes ago, 8SPEED6.2LTZ said:

Does anyone know the brake pad part number for these 6 piston brembos? I just purchased the calipers used on ebay, but the calipers did not have rotors or brake pads. I found the 16" rotors, but no luck on the part number for the pads.

See if you can find the pads here on CARiD: https://www.carid.com/brembo/?filter=1&ptype-groups[]=Performance+Brakes%2C+Pads+%26+Rotors&ptypes[]=Performance+Brake+Pads

Also PPV RPO J55 brakes from the 2021 Tahoe PPV (Police Pursuit Vehicle) are the same as these I read and may cost a bit less, without the paint bling.

I tried calling multiple chevy dealers and not one could help me without the vin number. I did not want to provide a vin because I knew they were just going to tell me the Brembo upgrade was not going to pop up the list of options for that vin. Sure enough after providing vin number the dealer said they could not come up with a part number. After searching forums for about an hour, I was able to find the part number for the brake pads. I called the dealer back and they were astonished I was able to give them a part number.

Pad number for the 6 piston brembo's is 84263246 and the pads are pricey. 

Dealer quoted me $400+, but found them on the web for $214.

• Like 2

Thanks for that! I've been trying to compile all of this information for my future maintenance needs, especially part numbers and specs that differ from the official manual due to modifications. This is one piece of information I've never been able to come across.

I wonder if the Brembos for the truck also (technically) require rotors to be changed every time the pads are? With many big brake setups like this that is usually the recommendation.

I had 6 piston Brembo brakes on my Challenger and got it as part of a Dynamics Package from the factory for around $2200. I liked the brakes and it was money well spent. The rotors were a 2-piece unit that retail for $700+ a pair. I sold it after about 4 years and 17,000 miles without needing anything replaced, so wasn’t an issue for me. 

These would be nice for my TB but a no go with the stock 18” wheels.

20 hours ago, Desrunner said:

I had 6 piston Brembo brakes on my Challenger and got it as part of a Dynamics Package from the factory for around $2200. I liked the brakes and it was money well spent. The rotors were a 2-piece unit that retail for $700+ a pair. I sold it after about 4 years and 17,000 miles without needing anything replaced, so wasn’t an issue for me. 

These would be nice for my TB but a no go with the stock 18” wheels.

A Trail Boss with 20s is an oxymoron, imo.  In fact, if you really want to do some offroading in this truck you need to go to 17s.

24 minutes ago, Transient said:

A Trail Boss with 20s is an oxymoron, imo.  In fact, if you really want to do some offroading in this truck you need to go to 17s.

Yeah, but for me, the 18’s are a good compromise between mostly street and occasional off-roading. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thank you DenaliSS! Been looking for the damn installation sheet for 3 days! I've done a lot of brakes but just wasn't sure if there any weird bleed procedures or what I needed to do with the unused electronic sensor. I got my kit from shopchevyparts.com and the box was busted all to pieces  and I'm honestly not 100% certain I have all the hardware since it was all just kind of laying out on my porch after delivery. Also, not even certain this is genuine or if it's counterfeit. The only piece of paper in the box looked like it had been photocopied at a high school library in 1994. Guess we gonna send it and find out!