How to protect against having truck stolen.

GN2018

Just ordered a faraday bag to store my fobs in at night.  Read a couple articles and it makes me feel like I should have the fob in a bag all the time when I’m not actually driving the truck.  Of course that would take away from the convenience of keyless operation.  Ugh.  Still, I’ll at least make sure they’re stored at night.  I’m sure my situation is pretty common where the extra fob is stored near the door, either hanging on the key rack or, like mine, in a drawer in a table right near my door which is also close to my truck.

lol faraday bag is not gonna do much besides add to your paranoia.

you can delete the fob units themselves thru the software. and i believe there is an rf id chip inside the key , its good enough protection. 

definatly remove all paperwork and registration from inside the truck that has your Vin #,  address and Name.  I like to cover or black out the Vin numbers on my dash too, 'cause its the employees who are the criminals that have access to databases, software , and key cutting tools

Edited by pokismoki

Lots of good suggestions here as far as covering the vin and a hidden cut off switch for the fuel pump. I've used a hidden kill switch myself. And trackers work for locating it if it's taken. But if a tow truck snatcher really wants it say good bye. I've seen 4 guys with a couple pipes throw a screaming Harley into a truck in front of hundreds at a rally and when questioned said "it's a repo". I run a heavy chain through my parked trailer's wheels. If someone wants it they'll be draggin it. Just sayin... I think lots of flashing lights and loud siren will draw attention. Personally, I'll go out with my .45.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GN2018 said:

As Clint Eastwood cool as that sounds, there’s no way I’m going to confront a car thief.  The potential that these people have no regard for life, not even their own, is too high to risk anything like that.

FWIW, I draw the line at my door.  Anything outside just has to be accepted though deterrents that make sense are certainly in play.

A man has got to know his limitations...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I saw something on a YouTube video where a Hellcat owner pulled off the dash area where the push start button is and wired in a separate rocker in which he mounted under the dash that disabled the button, it stayed lit somehow and the engine would crank but wouldn't start, I'm sure there is a wire behind there that you can put separate rocker on to stop it from functioning. Just a thought. 

• Like 1

I make sure the house I'm going to buy has a deep enough garage to hold my truck.  Living in a gated community also helps.  But looking at the police blotter, it's primarily older vehicles with no theft deterrent technology that get stolen.  Or people leave the key in the ignition when warming up in the morning or stopping by a convenience store.  I don't see newer trucks getting stolen because most thieves can't defeat the technology.  You pretty much need a tow truck or trailer to steal the newer trucks. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

I make sure the house I'm going to buy has a deep enough garage to hold my truck.  Living in a gated community also helps.  But looking at the police blotter, it's primarily older vehicles with no theft deterrent technology that get stolen.  Or people leave the key in the ignition when warming up in the morning or stopping by a convenience store.  I don't see newer trucks getting stolen because most thieves can't defeat the technology.  You pretty much need a tow truck or trailer to steal the newer trucks. 

https://blog.4wheelonline.com/2021/06/24/the-list-of-most-stolen-cars-in-the-usa/

8. GMC Pickup (full size)

GMC pickup truck offers a combination of luxury and power in their lineup. It has a stylish build and is loaded with cutting-edge technology, truck accessories, and amenities. It’s a reliable truck for heavy-duty work like towing and hauling. No wonder it’s a likely target for car theft with 11,708 cases with the model year 2018 being the most stolen with 1,170 cases. Discontinued generations were also the point of interest because of the limited supply of parts that can be resold for a high price.

On 9/8/2021 at 4:51 AM, GN2018 said:

So it sounds like one of the main ways they steal these things is buy replicating the fob. I had no idea it was that easy.  Interesting - thanks.  I’ll lock down the fobs for sure and will look into some of the other suggestions.

that's how my nieghbor lost his new Toyota Tundra, went to dealer for service,  then two weeks later around 2AM, his security camera catches a Mexican guy walking up his driveways with a key fob, unlocks truck drives away..

22 minutes ago, pokismoki said:

that's how my nieghbor lost his new Toyota Tundra, went to dealer for service,  then two weeks later around 2AM, his security camera catches a Mexican guy walking up his driveways with a key fob, unlocks truck drives away..

Ain't electronics wonderful. Years ago someone scanned my phone as I was on it in a car. (I was the passenger so don't go off on me.) But, whomever did it used my account to talk for hours to relatives in Australia! I really don't like all this new tech. How long ago did Gone In 60 Seconds come out. They were cloning fobs then. I remember back in the '70s they built a new subdivision by the John Wayne Airport (socal) and all the garage door openers were Stanley. Unfortunately, they were on the same radio frequency as some of the airplanes. So when planes would take off all the garage doors would salute them. LOL!

• Like 1

On 9/7/2021 at 10:01 PM, swathdiver said:

Unless they come with a flatbed and winch, they won't immediately know what to do and that buys you time to put your drawers on and grab your shotgun. 

It's 2021, post chinflu and thieves use overwatch, you'll be stepping outside in the dark and into eternity. Even if you happened to get off a shot the perps kins attorney will roast you alive in the wrongful death civil trial.

It's known as criminal justice for a very good reason.

Edited by It's Tim
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, It's Tim said:

It's 2021, post chinflu and thieves use overwatch, you'll be stepping outside in the dark and into eternity. Even if you happened to get off a shot the perps kins attorney will roast you alive in the wrongful death civil trial.

It's known as criminal justice for a very good reason.

Never a good idea to shoot at anyone fleeing. You will lose everything, not just your truck.

no no, I ve shot at thieves before. its OK as long as you don't murder the guy. you can blast thier tires, windshield, radiator gas tank.  even better I've pulled them out sent them home with the option of turning them into cops or I get thier truck or car... easy peasey i've got one car from a kid stealing catalitic converters. he learned his lesson and is better for it

Edited by pokismoki
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, pokismoki said:

no no, I ve shot at thieves before. its OK as long as you don't murder the guy. you can blast thier tires, windshield, radiator gas tank.  even better I've pulled them out sent them home with the option of turning them into cops or I get thier truck or car... easy peasey i've got one car from a kid stealing catalitic converters. he learned his lesson and is better for it

Must live in a "Free State"! Some states will cite you "Illegal Discharge of a Firearm"!