2022 ZR2 silverado dssv shock part numbers

On 2/4/2023 at 9:45 PM, luke1333 said:

Has anybody drove a DSSV truck? Is the difference night and day from a regular one?

The reviews online would make you believe they're the best thing on the market. TFL preferred them to the fox system on the new raptor. I need to go test drive a AT4X or ZR2 before buying a set of these for my AT4.

I had a 2019 AT4 and now a 2022 AT4X and they aren't even comparable. The DSSV shocks are beyond anything i have ever experienced. My wife also has a 2020 Yukon Denali with Mag ride. I thought it rode so nice compared to my 2019 AT4. Now i think it rides like crap compared to the AT4X. 

The best description i can think of is they take away the first 20% of the impact and the last 20% of the impact. You still feel bumps but in a much smoother and controlled way. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say there's a bit of overstating here on the feel of a mass produced tuned shock under normal driving conditions.  Also, for less than $4500 you can get some custom tuned adjustable King or Fox shocks from Accutune, way more value there and you'll get your "bro" points! 

Edited by Traction

1 hour ago, Traction said:

I'd say there's a bit of overstating here on the feel of a mass produced tuned shock under normal driving conditions.  Also, for less than $4500 you can get some custom tuned adjustable King or Fox shocks from Accutune, way more value there and you'll get your "bro" points! 

I'd take the DSSV over King, FOX, or any Accutuned shocks any day of the week.  DSSV shocks are just getting introduced into the off road market, but within 10 years the aftermarket, high end, long travel suspension systems will be utilizing the DSSV architecture.  One of the main reasons is that a traditional, deflected-disc damper only offers two force-velocity curves for tuning while the DSSV dampers offer six tuning curves for the front, four at the rear.  No reduction in performance due to any damaged or worn out discs means much more consistency and long term durability.  The bottom line is that the design inherently provides much more tunability and durability, two factors the off road world heavily rely upon.  Two of the reasons why the new Ford Production Desert Race Bronco uses them exclusively over King, FOX, etc.  

Some of the current vehicles and race programs that use Multimatic DSSV shocks:

Aston Martin Vulcan

Aston Martin Vanquish

Aston Martin One 77

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Chevrolet and Hall Racing Colorado ZR2

Chevrolet Silverado ZR2

GMC Sierra AT4X

Ferrari 488 GT3 and GTE Variants

Ford Production Desert Race Bronco

Ford GT Mk II

Ford GT Mk IV

Ford Mustang GT 4

Ford FR500C, FR500GT3, Boss 302R, Shelby GT350R-C

Mazda RT24-P

Mercedes -AMG GT3

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - Type 992

Multiple F1 and Formula 1 Teams

Multimatic DSSV shocks are simply a better shock all the way around, and are worth the sticker price for anybody who can afford it.  Unfortunately I cant afford them, but if I could then I wouldn't hesitate to turn my back on King, FOX, etc. and never look back.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Gangly said:

I'd take the DSSV over King, FOX, or any Accutuned shocks any day of the week.  DSSV shocks are just getting introduced into the off road market, but within 10 years the aftermarket, high end, long travel suspension systems will be utilizing the DSSV architecture.  One of the main reasons is that a traditional, deflected-disc damper only offers two force-velocity curves for tuning while the DSSV dampers offer six tuning curves for the front, four at the rear.  No reduction in performance due to any damaged or worn out discs means much more consistency and long term durability.  The bottom line is that the design inherently provides much more tunability and durability, two factors the off road world heavily rely upon.  Two of the reasons why the new Ford Production Desert Race Bronco uses them exclusively over King, FOX, etc.  

Some of the current vehicles and race programs that use Multimatic DSSV shocks:

Aston Martin Vulcan

Aston Martin Vanquish

Aston Martin One 77

Chevrolet Camaro Z/28

Chevrolet Camaro ZL1

Chevrolet and Hall Racing Colorado ZR2

Chevrolet Silverado ZR2

GMC Sierra AT4X

Ferrari 488 GT3 and GTE Variants

Ford Production Desert Race Bronco

Ford GT Mk II

Ford GT Mk IV

Ford Mustang GT 4

Ford FR500C, FR500GT3, Boss 302R, Shelby GT350R-C

Mazda RT24-P

Mercedes -AMG GT3

Porsche 911 GT3 Cup - Type 992

Multiple F1 and Formula 1 Teams

Multimatic DSSV shocks are simply a better shock all the way around, and are worth the sticker price for anybody who can afford it.  Unfortunately I cant afford them, but if I could then I wouldn't hesitate to turn my back on King, FOX, etc. and never look back.

While I agree with what you said about the possibilities with DSSV and that the new shiny tech is cool, it is also nearly completely motorsports focused. This is where the value proposition is lost for the common GM 1500 owner. 99.9% of the consumers don't even have the base level knowledge to understand why one shock is better than the next, nor would they ever do anything in their truck that would test that understanding. I'm willing to bet that that number also plays out similarly for the specialty trucks like the ZR2 or AT4X, which will continue to sell out. This is especially true regarding how valving/tuning contributes one way or another to performance under a given scenario. People buy what is "cool" so they can say they have it while boasting what their system "can" do hypothetically. So is an extra $1k (more than other top tier shocks) going to gain any more tangible value, especially in noticeable performance by the consumer? doubt it. but I suppose one could argue that the cool points are worth it, right?  

Edited by Traction
  • Thanks 1

This is why if you really wanted that DSSV shock system you should of just gotten the zr2 package! Because yes in my experience anyone who tries to adapt this onto their non zr2 truck in the long run, will spend more money and get less value then if they would of just stepped up to the zr2 package.

This just never works out, i have over 20 years now of seeing people on these website save a few bucks on the initial cost of the truck and then spend untold amounts of money to make it into a truck they could of just bought that way from factory! And 100% of the time, not 70%, 80% or 90% but 100% of the time it will cost more money in the long run, you get less value as the zr2 package offers so much more than just shocks and your at the mercy of whatever smuck is working on your truck and hope he does a proper job.

Moral of this story is just buy the zr2!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Traction said:

While I agree with what you said about the possibilities with DSSV and that the new shiny tech is cool, it is also nearly completely motorsports focused. This is where the value proposition is lost for the common GM 1500 owner. 99.9% of the consumers don't even have the base level knowledge to understand why one shock is better than the next, nor would they ever do anything in their truck that would test that understanding. This is especially true regarding how valving/tuning contributes one way or another to performance under a given scenario. People buy what is "cool" so they can say they have it while boasting what their system "can" do hypothetically. So is an extra $1k (more than other top tier shocks) going to gain any more tangible value, especially in noticeable performance by the consumer? doubt it. but I suppose one could argue that the cool points are worth it, right?  

Your points are valid, and 99 percent of most purchasers would never be able to maximize the potential of either shock design, but value and "worth of expenditure" are entirely determined by the consumer of said product. Personally, I could care less about "cool points" so I place no value in that and tend to look at things slightly differently.  However, for street queens and Brosefs (which take up far more of the market than any other group), talking points are just as important as capabilities and I can understand the socialization aspect of it, after all who doesn't like talking shop with like minded individuals and there is no better place to do that than at street meets.

🍻

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Gangly said:

Your points are valid, and 99 percent of most purchasers would never be able to maximize the potential of either shock design, but value and "worth of expenditure" are entirely determined by the consumer of said product. Personally, I could care less about "cool points" so I place no value in that and tend to look at things slightly differently.  However, for street queens and Brosefs (which take up far more of the market than any other group), talking points are just as important as capabilities and I can understand the socialization aspect of it, after all who doesn't like talking shop with like minded individuals and there is no better place to do that than at street meets.

🍻

I can agree, here!

31 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

This is why if you really wanted that DSSV shock system you should of just gotten the zr2 package! Because yes in my experience anyone who tries to adapt this onto their non zr2 truck in the long run, will spend more money and get less value then if they would of just stepped up to the zr2 package.

This just never works out, i have over 20 years now of seeing people on these website save a few bucks on the initial cost of the truck and then spend untold amounts of money to make it into a truck they could of just bought that way from factory! And 100% of the time, not 70%, 80% or 90% but 100% of the time it will cost more money in the long run, you get less value as the zr2 package offers so much more than just shocks and your at the mercy of whatever smuck is working on your truck and hope he does a proper job.

150%

1 hour ago, BIGDOGx said:

But if you have a factory Custom Trail Boss, you can toss the ZR2 kit from GM on there and still have a cheaper ZR2.  Base price (with destination) of a ZR2 is $73,345.  A Custom Trail Boss is $53,695 for the 2.7 HO, $55,440 for the 5.3 and $56,235 for the 3.0 Duramax.  

Add the shocks and install and you are what, 10-15K cheaper?  The only thing at that point that makes the ZR2 worth it is the E lockers.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, BIGDOGx said:

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with it.

I purchased my 2020 LT Z71 new for $39,600 a few months into the Covid lockdown.  The ONLY thing I really want from the ZR2 is the suspension, and since I can purchase and install it for under 5K as a direct bolt on along with the addition  of TB CV's, I would be WAAAAY ahead financially by not purchasing a new ZR2/AT4X.  

For less than $45k, I would have a truck with identical road handling capabilities to the ZR2 (minus a front locker), for $25K-$30K less than a ZR2. 

Fortunately, my Eibach Pro Truck system still feels like new after having been on the truck for the past 66k miles(truck has 86K miles), and I have a spare set of new Eibach shocks waiting for when the fronts do eventually wear out.  

Now if you want to start talking about engine and drivetrain modifications, you are 100% right.  You dont by a 5.3 and spend 15k to make it feel like a 6.2....just get the 6.2

Edited by Gangly
  • Like 2