First drive of Big Red

Hey everyone.  FINALLY...FINALLY...FINALLY!!

It was nearly one year to the day when I re visited the selling dealership of where I ordered Big Red.  Truck was ordered last June, built mid November and sat until the second week of May.

What an absolutely beautiful truck!  The Red Hot looks amazing.  I spent about 20 minutes going over the truck, looking for any damages from sitting for so long; did not find anything.  Looked under the rear seat for any water that may have collected and saw none.  Saw no evidence of any critter activity either.

Looked under the truck and saw not much rust.  The Rancho shocks had some rust beginning already; that is okay as I will be replacing with Bilstein shocks.

I took ownership of the truck with 30 miles on it.  Full tank of gas which was a nice touch.

Three and a half hour ride home to get settled in and adjust everything and play around some.  

Turnpike speed limit started off at 65 and gradually made it's way up to 75 once we got out of the city limits.

I reset the Trip B and the 25 mile MPG gauge and set the cruise for 65mph.  I did this for 25 miles and reset everything.  I did the same for 70 and 75mph.  I would rotate between 70 and 75 for 25 miles until I got up to Houlton.  With doing that, truck computer on Trip B said I managed 16.8 mpg.  Truck drove beautifully.  Tire pressures were 60psi up front and 74psi in the rear (changed the rears today to 60psi).  From Houlton to home was another 90 minutes and I speed limits varied.  Mostly set the cruise between 60-62mph where the limit was at 55.  Dark gloomy clouds awaited me as a thunderstorm and heavy rains hit me but luckily no hail.  That slowed my progress down to about 50-55 but only for about 15 minutes.  When I got home, Trip avg said 17.9 mpg. I am quite pleased with that.  

Did a good walk over of it today.  I had bought some Gorilla black chrome lug nuts and was going to put them on today.  The length and threads were correct, but the conical (right word?) was a little more narrower than the stock lugs and looked like they did not seat very well.  So I did not put them on.  I will have to take the wheel off to see better.

I did install some aftermarket valve cover stems.  

Crawled under to see how the tow hooks are attached, because those are coming off.  I bought a pair of red powder coated ones, same part number that comes on the 2500 AT4.  Pretty straight forward.  I have other little things I want to do to it and will post pictures as I do so.

So far, LOVING IT!!

Lee

big red1.jpg

big red2.jpg

big red3.jpg

vlv stem.jpg

• Like 3

Great fuel mileage!  And I'm digging the valve caps. :thumbs:  America = Apple Pie & Chevrolet. 🤩

You are right on "conical" being the angle of the lug seat.  I think there are two different angles.  But I can't remember which angle was for which vehicle.  maybe @MTU Alum will know which angle fits these new trucks.

Really glad to hear no issues after sitting in the parking lot.  I know that is a big worry for a lot of people. 

I had a pair of subdued flag stickers about 6" tall on a Rubicon. Right under the "Jeep" on the front fenders. They were reflective at night.  Need to find them again.  They looked awesome on the Jeep.  Would like to put one under the 3500 HD on the front doors. I normally don't do stickers, but this is America. 🇺🇸  Hard not to be a little proud... lol

Happy Trails Amigo! :cheers:

• 7 months later...
On 5/22/2022 at 4:27 PM, Cheekster96 said:

Hey everyone.  FINALLY...FINALLY...FINALLY!!

It was nearly one year to the day when I re visited the selling dealership of where I ordered Big Red.  Truck was ordered last June, built mid November and sat until the second week of May.

What an absolutely beautiful truck!  The Red Hot looks amazing.  I spent about 20 minutes going over the truck, looking for any damages from sitting for so long; did not find anything.  Looked under the rear seat for any water that may have collected and saw none.  Saw no evidence of any critter activity either.

Looked under the truck and saw not much rust.  The Rancho shocks had some rust beginning already; that is okay as I will be replacing with Bilstein shocks.

I took ownership of the truck with 30 miles on it.  Full tank of gas which was a nice touch.

Three and a half hour ride home to get settled in and adjust everything and play around some.  

Turnpike speed limit started off at 65 and gradually made it's way up to 75 once we got out of the city limits.

I reset the Trip B and the 25 mile MPG gauge and set the cruise for 65mph.  I did this for 25 miles and reset everything.  I did the same for 70 and 75mph.  I would rotate between 70 and 75 for 25 miles until I got up to Houlton.  With doing that, truck computer on Trip B said I managed 16.8 mpg.  Truck drove beautifully.  Tire pressures were 60psi up front and 74psi in the rear (changed the rears today to 60psi).  From Houlton to home was another 90 minutes and I speed limits varied.  Mostly set the cruise between 60-62mph where the limit was at 55.  Dark gloomy clouds awaited me as a thunderstorm and heavy rains hit me but luckily no hail.  That slowed my progress down to about 50-55 but only for about 15 minutes.  When I got home, Trip avg said 17.9 mpg. I am quite pleased with that.  

Did a good walk over of it today.  I had bought some Gorilla black chrome lug nuts and was going to put them on today.  The length and threads were correct, but the conical (right word?) was a little more narrower than the stock lugs and looked like they did not seat very well.  So I did not put them on.  I will have to take the wheel off to see better.

I did install some aftermarket valve cover stems.  

Crawled under to see how the tow hooks are attached, because those are coming off.  I bought a pair of red powder coated ones, same part number that comes on the 2500 AT4.  Pretty straight forward.  I have other little things I want to do to it and will post pictures as I do so.

So far, LOVING IT!!

Lee

big red1.jpg

big red2.jpg

big red3.jpg

vlv stem.jpg

That is a beautiful truck!!  I'm from the county.  Presque Isle to be exact.  You said 90 minutes from Houlton which would put you around Castle Hill, Madawaska, Frenchville.....am I getting close? 

12 minutes ago, Pryme said:

That red pops and the upside down dealer plate compliments it nicely. 

Yes it does!!  I looked up that dealer, it appears to be in Bangor Maine.  I'm from northern Maine but am quite familiar with Bangor too.  I'm hoping the OP gets back with us.

16 minutes ago, Jettech1 said:

Yes it does!!  I looked up that dealer, it appears to be in Bangor Maine.  I'm from northern Maine but am quite familiar with Bangor too.  I'm hoping the OP gets back with us.

Maybe it’s Mr King and he’s busy writing scary stories? Ha

• Haha 1