Ordering a new truck...

So, i could probably get my questions answered by going to the dealer, but then the salesman would not stop dry humping my leg until i order, so i'll risk it and ask here. i want a new RST with max tow package, and the 6.2, plus a few other options. Can't find exactly what i want within 500 miles, so i figure i'll bit the bullet and order. My local dealer, in my brief conversations, has mentioned they can usually get orders in 2-3 months, or less. When you order, do they require a deposit and time of order, or does that depend on the dealer? I am looking to get an RST, Glacier Blue, 6.2, 20" wheels, 4x4, grey leather seats, max tow, possibly a sunroof. Currently still driving a 2012 Silverado with 5.3, 212,000 miles. 

Thanks for stopping by, feel free to flame away for asking a silly question. 

Wait for the recession to fully hit! Most of these trucks are coming not fully finished, and you aren't getting any rebates. Put the pressure back on GM to lower prices, get their d@mn build quality back to where it used to be, and get higher rebates and lower interest rates back. 

It mind boggles me that people can't see this and are willing to pay these outlandish prices. I'm so glad I sold my 2019 High Country. Best decision I have ever made. I put all that cash in the bank and I won't be the one "crying" or "panicking" when the true heart of the recession hits!!! And it's going to hit HARD.  There is my flame! 😉

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

at this point, wait. Inventory will start to build up fast...and rebates will show up.   sh$t is about to come to a crawl in this economy.  As for orders, just read the forum... guys crying every day about how long it takes.. 6-8 months+, etc..   So unless you are real patient .. I wouldn't do that.  

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, GMC-AT said:

at this point, wait. Inventory will start to build up fast...and rebates will show up.   sh$t is about to come to a crawl in this economy.  As for orders, just read the forum... guys crying every day about how long it takes.. 6-8 months+, etc..   So unless you are real patient .. I wouldn't do that.  

I agree that anyone who has bought a truck in the last 2 years has paid minimum 8-10 grand more than they should have imo.

Another thing to factor and keep an eye on though are interest rates, if he waits and if he is financing which with the prices im sure he is, even just a couple percentage points increase = hundreds of extra in dead money cost per month and thousand over the life of the loan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To answer your question, you don't need a deposit, or at least I didn't.  I ordered a 2022 ZR2 silverado on 12-15-2021. We worked out a price for my trade, a 21 6.2 trail boss and Zr2 was delivered on 5-18-2022. The dealer told me he would guarantee my trade value till whenever the truck came in, and I could also keep driving the trail boss. They gave me $7,000 more than I paid for it on trade, and because I am a GM employee I also received the discount on the ZR2. It was a no brainer for me. If for some reason when the ZR2 came in, and I didn't want it, I could just walk away. 

If you want a new truck, order one if for some reason the economy tanks (which is quite possible) and you don't want it anymore, walk away. If it were me, I would try to work a deal and get your trade value guaranteed in writing while the market is still high. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, BIGDOGx said:

I agree that anyone who has bought a truck in the last 2 years has paid minimum 8-10 grand more than they should have imo.

Another thing to factor and keep an eye on though are interest rates, if he waits and if he is financing which with the prices im sure he is, even just a couple percentage points increase = hundreds of extra in dead money cost per month and thousand over the life of the loan.

That's another thing that is actually making me drag my feet. I am in a credit union and i have watched rates go up the last few months. After a lot of hard work fixing a lot of screwing up in my earlier years, my credit is very good. My current truck has been paid off several years, and even though it has a lot of miles, it still looks great and runs great. I'm just a little paranoid of getting far away from home on a trip and having it blow apart. Of course, with the quality of GM Lifters right now, a new one isn't a safe bet either. I would get pre-approved before i went to the dealer to do anything. But yeah, i am keeping an eye on the economy too. My job is secure, but i would never foolishly extend myself either. 

46 minutes ago, Badbird2000 said:

That's another thing that is actually making me drag my feet. I am in a credit union and i have watched rates go up the last few months. After a lot of hard work fixing a lot of screwing up in my earlier years, my credit is very good. My current truck has been paid off several years, and even though it has a lot of miles, it still looks great and runs great. I'm just a little paranoid of getting far away from home on a trip and having it blow apart. Of course, with the quality of GM Lifters right now, a new one isn't a safe bet either. I would get pre-approved before i went to the dealer to do anything. But yeah, i am keeping an eye on the economy too. My job is secure, but i would never foolishly extend myself either. 

The fed is going to get very aggressive it sounds like to me very soon. I am hearing in the realm of 1-1.5% rate increase before the end of this year with more to come in 2023. Just that small rate bump literally adds thousands of dollars to the price of the truck in the end.

It depends on the dealer.  One dealer I know asks for a $500 deposit, even when you are ordering something they don't have an allocation for.  But the deposit is fully refundable.

Another dealer doesn't ask for a deposit until the order is accepted by GM and has an assigned Target Production Week.  Then it's $1000, non-refundable.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TNTSilverado said:

Wait for the recession to fully hit! Most of these trucks are coming not fully finished, and you aren't getting any rebates. Put the pressure back on GM to lower prices, get their d@mn build quality back to where it used to be, and get higher rebates and lower interest rates back. 

It mind boggles me that people can't see this and are willing to pay these outlandish prices. I'm so glad I sold my 2019 High Country. Best decision I have ever made. I put all that cash in the bank and I won't be the one "crying" or "panicking" when the true heart of the recession hits!!! And it's going to hit HARD.  There is my flame! 😉

This is an excellent point. But looking from the other side…

Say you received $50K for your High Country and put it in the bank @ .01% interest. 
With core inflation above 10%, you only have $45K of spending power one year later.

Deposit depends on the dealer. I would recommend ordering from a dealer that does not require one, unless it’s small and they will refund it should you decide you don’t want the truck for any reason. Also, agree to a trade value before ordering and make sure they will guarantee it when your new truck arrives.

For timeframe, if the dealer has an allocation for what you want, the wait isn’t that long. My order was accepted mid may and I received it late June. There are a lot of factors that could affect this obviously and some trucks are being built just to sit in a lot waiting for some component. It’s impossible to tell whether or not that will affect you.

I think the biggest issue I would have right now are the rising interest rates. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. Your Credit Union isn’t going to give you a vehicle loan until you purchase the vehicle, in other words, when it arrives. This means the longer it takes for it to show up the higher your rate is going to be. 

I agree with people when they say things are slowing. Interest rate increases are going to keep some people from buying. I don’t agree with the idea that the ****** is about to hit the fan and dealers will be practically begging people to buy cars. 

• Like 1

There are several dealerships selling below MSRP. I got my new 2022 F-150 for $6,000 below MSRP, then it went through two price increases, and the sticker shows $75,000. I paid $62,000. The new 2023 model is now $79,000.

Feds are aggressively tackling down inflation, and the shortages are affecting everything. Hell, Ford even announced a shortage with its blue oval badges! I think the chronic issues will continue through 2024.

doesn't cost much down to order one, I'd do that but I'd be buying whatever you can find on the lot right now until it comes in and then just sell which ever one you decide to, but there will be more than a recession hitting, the masses have no idea, the fiat system is on the way out, it was inevitable from day one in 1913 it couldn't survive so not sure if cash on hand will matter one bit, just be in a new one for the ride imo, find a new turbo and see what you think while you wait for the 'hauls ass sucks gas' to come in

there's no flies on the 2.7, no lifters either 

Edited by 4banger