What do you tow with your beast? Pics and experience please....

With our 2022 2500 gasser Custom model we tow a 2023 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH.  We absolutely love our camper and the way our gasser tows it.  Amazing all around.  Our camper weighs 7000lbs on the axles and 1000lbs on the hitch.  I only have one gripe when towing it and that is it can get bouncy on the rear end at times with huge dips in the road.  I've read Bilstein shocks will take care of that so more research to do there.  But all in all, the beast tows it like a champ.  Trans. temp never goes above 182' in the hottest of weather and we average 8.5mpg under most all conditions.  We love our beast and our camper!!!

20221216_141752.jpg

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 8

Have enjoyed Towing throughout the Western states.  Trailer loaded for travel is 14,300 lbs with empty tanks, or just a tick over 14,600 lbs with a tank full of fresh water. 

Put a front hitch on to handle hauling the KTM 390 (about 500 lbs with hitch, carrier and bike).

Consistently averages right about 8.5mpg on the flats and 7.5mpg through the mountains.  I've had one time pulling a long 8% grade where trans temp went above 235 degrees F.  Engine temp did not exceed 210 degrees F. That was with the bike on the front.  Pulled over, let the transmission cool, and finished the grade with no other issues.

I have pulled a 21' Goose-neck stock trailer, but the live load of cattle wasn't comfortable.  So GF handles that with her dually F350, which she likes to remind me about all time.  So now she's going to start pulling the 5th wheel too.  I'm selling the truck, and buying a sports car.  

Maybe a Z06 🤩

full load.jpg

Edited by sheath
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, sheath said:

Have enjoyed Towing throughout the Western states.  Trailer loaded for travel is 14,300 lbs with empty tanks, or just a tick over 14,600 lbs with a tank full of fresh water. 

Put a front hitch on to handle hauling the KTM 390 (about 500 lbs with hitch, carrier and bike).

Consistently averages right about 8.5mpg on the flats and 7.5mpg through the mountains.  I've had one time pulling a long 8% grade where trans temp went above 235 degrees F.  Engine temp did not exceed 210 degrees F. That was with the bike on the front.  Pulled over, let the transmission cool, and finished the grade with no other issues.

I have pulled a 21' Goose-neck stock trailer, but the live load of cattle wasn't comfortable.  So GF handles that with her dually F350, which she likes to remind me about all time.  So now she's going to start pulling the 5th wheel too.  I'm selling the truck, and buying a sports car.  

Maybe a Z06 🤩

full load.jpg

That load is a bit much with that bike on the front. A ton of weight and very reduced airflow. Nice bike though!

I wonder what is too hot for the trans? 235 is way up there. 

4 hours ago, Pryme said:

That load is a bit much with that bike on the front. A ton of weight and very reduced airflow. Nice bike though!

I wonder what is too hot for the trans? 235 is way up there. 

The load is well within the limits of the truck GAWF/R, GVW, GCW. 

The bike does block a lot of air flow, and the fan runs more because of it.  Same as a plow would do on the front of a truck.  GM actually speaks to this, either in the OM or the Builder's guide (can't remember where I read up on it).  Other than pulling long steep grades the temps run normal, thanks to that huge fan.

This is why I was really happy with the way the truck is engineered for fleet use. 

235 degrees is threshold for standard transmission fluids.  Above that and it starts degrading at an accelerated rate.  I can't remember what the seals are rated for, it's higher than that.  Same for the internal wire harness and solenoids, but not by a lot.  My preference is between 180 and 210 for heavy towing.  That provides a good margin of safety against overheat.

Again, the higher the temp the faster the components degrade.

• Like 2

On 12/22/2022 at 4:02 PM, Michael621 said:

A 2022 Prime Time Crusader Lite 28RL is my tag along. :)

IMG_0444.jpeg

I should have added in some more info - - GVWR is around 10k, 1400lb hitch weight for the trailer. 

The mileage I get while towing is 11-12 MPG which includes a mountain pass or 2. The truck handles the situation awesomely. Usually set the cruise at 65 and motor along. Get passed left and right, but that's ok, the journey is part of the adventure. Not towing, averaging around 20-21 mpg.  The only downside is that I feel so diminutive when washing the truck despite being 6' tall, lol. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

About the heaviest loads I have put behind my 2020.  20221030_123206_HDR_(1).thumb.jpg.4175eb7b87b28e284094fdc217096ae4.jpg

Trailer, 22ft 14k equipment trailer at around 3400 lbs empty, plus 10 5x5 bales roughly 1000 lbs each.  Loads around 13,500.  Truck, 2020 with a Duramax, pulls the loads fine with no issues at all.  

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, shadow gray 2020 hd said:

Trailer, 22ft 14k equipment trailer at around 3400 lbs empty, plus 10 5x5 bales roughly 1000 lbs each.  Loads around 13,500.  Truck, 2020 with a Duramax, pulls the loads fine with no issues at all.  

I was wondering how much weight you were pulling, nothing for the Duramax I'm sure.  Great pic and thanks for posting!!!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Cosmic Charlie said:

2008 Crownline 255CCR at 6500 Pounds +- plus a Venture 28' Tandam Trailer at 1000 pounds

Plus I push snow

photo 5!.JPG

111.jpg

Sweet, cruising around Marthas Vineyard I assume.  Love the boat!!!

On 12/26/2022 at 11:18 AM, Michael621 said:

I should have added in some more info - - GVWR is around 10k, 1400lb hitch weight for the trailer. 

The mileage I get while towing is 11-12 MPG which includes a mountain pass or 2. The truck handles the situation awesomely. Usually set the cruise at 65 and motor along. Get passed left and right, but that's ok, the journey is part of the adventure. Not towing, averaging around 20-21 mpg.  The only downside is that I feel so diminutive when washing the truck despite being 6' tall, lol. 

That's amazing and I agree, it's all about the journey.  No reason to go too fast, you might pass something really cool to stop and see.  We stop all the time at little road side events and flea markets.  Enjoying life and smelling the roses for sure!  That's a funny comment about washing the truck.  I'm 6' as well and the damn thing towers over me.  I hate to say it but I run it though our local carwash.  I have to.  I would need a ladder to wash the top of it....lol...

Edited by Jettech1
  • Like 2

I tow a 2013 Jayco Eagle, around 9200 lbs, or this flatbed and tractor is behind there a lot too.  Both are well below the capabilities of the truck and it handles them extremely well.  Mine has the diesel.  

IMG_0195.jpg

IMG_0788.jpg

• Like 3