"Quick" 4x4 Fluid changes

My 2015 Sierra 1500 4x4 is approaching 100K kms (80K mi.).   I would like to have the fluids changed in the transfer case, front differential and rear differential.  I am unable to do this work myself so I inquired at my local GMC Dealership and at a popular quick lube. (Great Canadian Oil Change).  I have used both of these places for oil changes and recently had a transmission fluid change at the quick lube.   The cost to have this 4x4 work done at the GMC dealership is over double that of the quick lube.   The quick lube uses synthetic in the front/rear and ATF in the transfer case.  The change is completed without me losing my truck for the day.   My question is if this is a case of, "You get what you pay for"?   We are experiencing a lot of snowstorms and rely heavily on my truck's ability to handle poor road conditions!   

Labor rates and mark up are way higher at dealerships.

Stay with the independent shops for things like this. If the fluid meets the spec for the vehicle, there will be zero problems with the service.

• Like 1

You should be fine with a good independent service shop. I would personally stay away from a "quick lube" place, as I have seen & hears of all kinds of issues, as the young kids don't have the experience. I've seen over tightened drain plugs on oil pans stripping the threads. I would locate a reputable independent shop for this service.

Transfer case in my '17 Silverado double door with 6 speeds, is the DEXRON VI, same as the transmission.

Front & rear differential take a 75W90 GL5 gear oil with limited slip additive. All these fluids can be purchased at WalMart as long as it's to specification, or off Amazon. I use full synthetic fluids.

Good luck

• Like 1

20 hours ago, rav3 said:

I would personally stay away from a "quick lube" place, as I have seen & hears of all kinds of issues, as the young kids don't have the experience. I've seen over tightened drain plugs on oil pans stripping the threads.

This is my main concern.   I remember some of the workplace lessons I learned in my youth!  However,  I've also worked with experienced employees who have lost pride in their work and know all of the shortcuts to meet the boss's quotas. I do like that you remain in your vehicle during the service at a quick lube.  The chatter, employee supervision and my presence provides some comfort.   When I leave my truck at the dealership, I speak only with the service advisor.  I agree that a good, independent shop where the business depends on superior customer service is ideal.   

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

I would run, not walk, away from those quick lube/jiffy lube places.

I agree.  Most shops (and mechanics) will use the cheapest lubricants available.  Many dealers are the same.   If you want quality ask them if you can supply your own lubes. 

I had the GM dealer change my axles and TC on my Sierra and they only charged me $139 labor and I suppler the AMSOIL.    It took a little longer because there is no drain plug on the front axle of new truck so it had to be vacuumed out and they had a machine that did that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

The quick lube place advertises brand name lubricants and the staff seem very knowledgeable about what they sell.  If offered a choice of brands, I typically pick the more "expensive."   I know they upsell at almost every opportunity but their best is still far cheaper than what is offered at the dealership!     

I did my avalanche myself with Amsoil. I ran a suction device down the transmission dipstick twice in a week. The rear end had a drain I could go under without jacking up. It was too easy to farm out. The Acura, the Geneses and CRV are done at the dealerships. I spread out the extras like antifreeze and brake fluid so not done all at once. I’ve been using those dealerships for over 20 years. Both have windows so you can watch and I do. I make it known I’m watching. Early on I’d check their work. The dealer prices are competitive with even the quick lube. I make appointments so it’s fairly quick. I just did the Acura. Inspection, oil change and state inspection took one hour. Enough time to look at all the new overpriced inventory. 

11 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

My issue is if I don't do it myself, how do I know what fluid they used. 

Both dealerships I use are high volume. I don’t think they’d risk using inferior products. That may work if the shop you used did their own product ordering and servicing. If they we’re that small they’d probably wouldn’t balk if you brought your own fluids. 

Well Karnut IMO, the difference is you trust your dealer having done business with them for years. Owning a business and using a dealer for purchases and maintenance means the dealer wants you back, they made money. Plus you get a write off. Big difference from the average consumer.

Same scenario as a local jewelry store we frequent, great service and great prices because we spend money there. 

I don't trust anybody. The day I can't maintain all my stuff including our home will be a hard pill to swallow for me.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Well Karnut IMO, the difference is you trust your dealer having done business with them for years. Owning a business and using a dealer for purchases and maintenance means the dealer wants you back, they made money. Plus you get a write off. Big difference from the average consumer.

Same scenario as a local jewelry store we frequent, great service and great prices because we spend money there. 

I don't trust anybody. The day I can't maintain all my stuff including our home will be a hard pill to swallow for me.

I do my truck because I don’t have to Jack it up. I’m a creature of habit. Even on my 8 years of traveling since retiring visiting my father in law. I stay at the same Hamptons during my travels. Gas in the same towns. I check and verify if the service is good I stick with them. We even eat at the same couple of restaurants on Saturday afternoons. If there ever was a problem of a filter falling off or a plug getting stripped I pull the stack of receipts and point my finger. It’s never happened. My local GMC-Hyundai dealership has sold and serviced my 4 Hyundais and 3 GMCs in the last 20 years. Dragging floor jacks, jackstands  tools, oil drain pans doesn’t thrill my senses anymore. People who want to do that fine with me. Saying you don’t trust the dealership to do it. I trust them as much as the assembly person building them. I’ve done one frame up in my life. Fun, time consuming, never again. Even quick lubes begin lumped together. Some are family owned. One was 5 miles from me. Always packed, highly regarded. Alls it takes is a little research. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, diyer2 said:

Get ready.......it is a hard pill to swallow but reality. 

• Like 1