2018 sierra 1500 6.2 stops revving at 5000 rpms

On 1/1/2023 at 6:37 AM, Gagliano7 said:

those of you that had the rumble strip effect did it keeping getting worse before the fluid change? Now that i look back it was probably back in Sept when i first felt the rumble strip effect but i thought it was the road. Seems to do it a little more often now but some days nothing. My 5 year warranty is up in May so i need to go soon but i need my truck for the winter for my job so i would like to hold out until March. 

It did get worse. Problem has not returned since the fluid exchange.

18 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

It did get worse. Problem has not returned since the fluid exchange.

Thanks good to know. Mine has been better lately . I wonder if it is because it warmed up here. I went WOT yesterday and no problems.

• 2 months later...

I found out my spark plugs were the problem. I put e-spark plugs in to see if they really worked and I found out they suck. I still had the rumble strip feeling once and awhile. I decided to move on and bought a f150 5.0. The one thing that I didn’t realize until I got my new truck was that the GMC shocks and struts were shot at 28000 miles. I didn’t realize until I took my new truck for a ride and all the normal bumps I go over every day were smooth compared to my old truck. I always thought my GMC rode like a Cadillac when I bought it. I have to say there still is no displacement for torque with the 6.2 over the 5.0 even with 3:73 gears compared to the 3:23 gears with the 6.2. All I will say is I am sad to leave GM.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 3/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Gagliano7 said:

I found out my spark plugs were the problem. I put e-spark plugs in to see if they really worked and I found out they suck. I still had the rumble strip feeling once and awhile. I decided to move on and bought a f150 5.0. The one thing that I didn’t realize until I got my new truck was that the GMC shocks and struts were shot at 28000 miles. I didn’t realize until I took my new truck for a ride and all the normal bumps I go over every day were smooth compared to my old truck. I always thought my GMC rode like a Cadillac when I bought it. I have to say there still is no displacement for torque with the 6.2 over the 5.0 even with 3:73 gears compared to the 3:23 gears with the 6.2. All I will say is I am sad to leave GM.

Sorry to see you go.  Yes, I've seen posts about aftermarket spark plugs not performing well.  I had some Bosch plugs in a truck years ago, that didn't last long before they were missing.  Went back to OE AC Delco. 

• Like 2

On 3/29/2023 at 10:00 AM, NWI Denali said:

The way I look at it is, pick your poison. They all have their inherent issues you need to sort through. Ford has had a lot of problems with their 10 speed. Good luck.

Thats because gm was ford's partner in designing it.

Edited by M1ck3y
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, M1ck3y said:

Thats because gm was ford's partner in designing it.

From what I understand with the Joint venture 10 spd between GM and Ford is the hardware was co developed together. But the software and programming are exclusive to each. And the GM 10 spd doesn't seem to he having the issues Ford has.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NWI Denali said:

From what I understand with the Joint venture 10 spd between GM and Ford is the hardware was co developed together. But the software and programming are exclusive to each. And the GM 10 spd doesn't seem to he having the issues Ford has.

I’ve heard this as well.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So far my 10 speed has been flawless. I was surprised that the 5.0 10 speed 3:73 gears would be close to the same as my 18 gmc 6.2 8 speed. Maybe they are close to the same in the 1/4 mile but having driven them back to back the you can feel the torque difference with the gmc being superior and when you decide to pass someone the gmc has the edge. The f150 has been great so far but I must admit I miss my gmc.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/13/2023 at 1:08 PM, Gagliano7 said:

So far my 10 speed has been flawless. I was surprised that the 5.0 10 speed 3:73 gears would be close to the same as my 18 gmc 6.2 8 speed. Maybe they are close to the same in the 1/4 mile but having driven them back to back the you can feel the torque difference with the gmc being superior and when you decide to pass someone the gmc has the edge. The f150 has been great so far but I must admit I miss my gmc.

suprised you found a v8 5.0 vs the v6 ecoboost. I thought most dealers carry the ecoboost and the 5.0 is kind of hard to find. Thanks for the comparison and keep us updated on how the f150 treats you. Pics? I bet a tune would wake the 5.0 up but of course that’s at your own risk. 5star tuning specializes in Ford where blackbear tunes GM 

When I switched from 1/2 ton Fords to GM it was because of dealer experience. In the eighties and nineties it was the 6.5 diesel to the 7.3, no comparison for 3/4 ton and up. When visiting my brothers shop where all brands are present it seems I’m seeing more Rams. My brothers last three are still there starting with a 2010 with over 200k miles. Two Raptors a TRX are present too. I asked for preferences, that changes with the individual. I can’t deny the growing number of Rams I’m seeing. But all the brands are there.

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:18 PM, 2018GMC said:

suprised you found a v8 5.0 vs the v6 ecoboost. I thought most dealers carry the ecoboost and the 5.0 is kind of hard to find. Thanks for the comparison and keep us updated on how the f150 treats you. Pics? I bet a tune would wake the 5.0 up but of course that’s at your own risk. 5star tuning specializes in Ford where blackbear tunes GM 

I ordered my truck. They gave me a $1000 off msrp and zero % financing. Truck has been good but with the a/c on  it feels doggy. With the GMC i could barely tell. 

I am not going to do a tune don't want to have any problems with warranty. Also the f150 and GMC are getting the same MPG. I thought for sure the 5.0 would do better. I do like that ford lets you get the big gas tank. 

31 minutes ago, Gagliano7 said:

I ordered my truck. They gave me a $1000 off msrp and zero % financing. Truck has been good but with the a/c on  it feels doggy. With the GMC i could barely tell. 

I am not going to do a tune don't want to have any problems with warranty. Also the f150 and GMC are getting the same MPG. I thought for sure the 5.0 would do better. I do like that ford lets you get the big gas tank. 

Yes it’s ridiculous that GM doesn’t offer a larger gas tank option and actually downsized the 26 gallon tank to 24? Gallons? I just bought a 03 suburban that has a 31 gallon tank. 

Small tank isn’t a big deal for most I guess but when you are towing and getting 10 - 12mpg the small tank sucks. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, 2018GMC said:

Yes it’s ridiculous that GM doesn’t offer a larger gas tank option and actually downsized the 26 gallon tank to 24? Gallons? I just bought a 03 suburban that has a 31 gallon tank. 

Small tank isn’t a big deal for most I guess but when you are towing and getting 10 - 12mpg the small tank sucks. 

You need to get out and walk around anyway. 😉

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BB68 said:

You need to get out and walk around anyway. 😉

Unloaded trips when I get 18 - 20mpg I agree with you the range is good but towing an enclosed trailer it really sucks that small tank down quick.