Can the fog lights increase visibility on a clear night?

Is there any way to improve the "DIM" stock LED headlights of LT (mine is 2022 LTD)? I am planning to add fog lights then use them every night (regardless of the weather), but many say fog lights don't play a role in clear weather. Can the fog lights on our Silverado increase driver visibility at night, especially in clear weather? 

Edited by Interleukin6
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Interleukin6 said:

Is there any way to improve the "DIM" stock LED headlights of LT (mine is 2022 LTD)? I am planning to add fog lights then use them every night (regardless of the weather), but many say fog lights don't play a role in clear weather. Can the fog lights on our Silverado increase driver visibility at night, especially in clear weather? 

IMO, having had a couple trucks with and without fogs, the difference is negligible to me.  Fogs just give you a bit more close to the truck side light, that's it.  My 2022 refresh LT doesn't have fogs and I've seen no need to add any.  Headlights are far from dim, same as the 2021 I drove last night from work.  

I'd have the aim checked.

Edited by newdude
  • Like 2

My 2019 Sierra headlights are bright. When I use fog lights, they tend to light up the sides of the road and don't add much forward light. That is normal for OEM fogs. I agree with newdude, have the lights checked for proper adjustment. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2023 at 10:32 AM, Phantom 4D said:

My 2019 Sierra headlights are bright. When I use fog lights, they tend to light up the sides of the road and don't add much forward light. That is normal for OEM fogs. I agree with newdude, have the lights checked for proper adjustment. 

I honestly think the headlights are terrible in these trucks for the money

Dad had a 67 Ford Galaxie 500 that had the best down the road lights I've ever experienced. Man is good aiming lights. There was nothing special about the bulbs. Same ones in every quad lamp setup of the time just aimed well. Often it isn't a lack of light. Just a lack of focusing it in the right direction. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Dad had a 67 Ford Galaxie 500 that had the best down the road lights I've ever experienced. Man is good aiming lights. There was nothing special about the bulbs. Same ones in every quad lamp setup of the time just aimed well. Often it isn't a lack of light. Just a lack of focusing it in the right direction. 

Just like wheel alignments!  Amen 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for the input. I used aftermarket LED light bulbs for my prior 2019 WT with excellent results, but current LT doesn’t allow me to swap the dim OEM LED bulbs with aftermarket brighter bulbs. Also, how can I check focusing? I know how to adjust the beam height. If it is same, I don’t think this is a focusing issue because mine just passed the first state inspection by dealer 6 months ago but I have noticed the dim headlights since I purchased mine. Do I still need to go to dealer or are our stock OEM LED headlights just “dim” like this (not only mine)?

Edited by Interleukin6

1 hour ago, Interleukin6 said:

Thank you so much for the input. I used aftermarket LED light bulbs for my prior 2019 WT with excellent results, but current LT doesn’t allow me to swap the dim OEM LED bulbs with aftermarket brighter bulbs. Also, how can I check focusing? I know how to adjust the beam height. If it is same, I don’t think this is a focusing issue because mine just passed the first state inspection by dealer 6 months ago but I have noticed the dim headlights since I purchased mine. Do I still need to go to dealer or are our stock OEM LED headlights just “dim” like this (not only mine)?

If they are truly dim, it either has failing headlights or you may be in need of an eye exam for addressing night time vision (possible cataracts).  I know, that last part may sound like an attack, but its a genuine possibility.  My mom just had both eyes done after she was declared legally blind at night and now she can see everything at night.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, newdude said:

If they are truly dim, it either has failing headlights or you may be in need of an eye exam for addressing night time vision (possible cataracts).  I know, that last part may sound like an attack, but its a genuine possibility.  My mom just had both eyes done after she was declared legally blind at night and now she can see everything at night.  

Doc told me maybe five years ago my lens were beginning to cloud. I mentioned in passing that I didn't like to drive at night anymore due to glare. Cataracts worsen that as well. Aging stinks. He also said 'we'll fix that before it becomes troublesome. It's something that just happens to some of us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Interleukin6 said:

Do I still need to go to dealer or are our stock OEM LED headlights just “dim” like this (not only mine)?

I will say that it is not only yours. The first time I drove my new truck at night, I thought the same thing... These lights are not very bright. They weren't nearly as bright at the vehicle I was driving before the truck. It might have something to do with the way they are focused, as a wide horizontal beam... I don't know, just making a guess.

All that is aside from the fact that I too suffer from getting old as newdude & Grumpy Bear mentioned. Eye sight at night is definitely not what it used to be.

• Like 1

I don’t think I have a medical issue. I swapped the OEM headlight bulbs of my wife’s CR-V with aftermarket LED bulbs when I did the same thing to my prior 19 WT 2 years ago. I drove her CR-V last night which was still amazing!!!

Edited by Interleukin6