How to sleep in my 2019 Z71?

I have a couple springtime fishing trips where I just don't want to fool with a tent. Is there any configuration where I can sleep inside the truck? I'm too tall to sleep on the rear bench seat or the floor. Hoping there is some creative way to help stretch out.

Have you slept in the bed? I'm 5'10, didn't need to bend legs while sleeping diagonally. I had the short bed RST Z71. I could not do that on the Ford F-150 so I had to order the long 6.5' bed so I could sleep comfortably. The Silverado's bed was a lot wider so the 5.10' bed was a lot bigger diagonally than the 5.5' Ford bed. My current Ford F-150 has the tri-fold tonneau cover which I use as shelter. My 2016 Ford had the camper shell, it got way worse gas mileage (I lost around 3 mpg) so I didn't do that for my 2022 Ford F-150 and the 2019 Cheyenne RST Z71.

Edited by Wiggums

Get a tent for your bed. I had one on my truck on a two week camping trip in the desert and it was well worth being able to spread out in the bed. With a tonneau cover I just took the poles out and loose threw the tent in the bed and closed the tonneau. The tent it self opened up over the folded tonneau and provided a little shelf in the bed when the tent was pitched

20200528_193623.jpg

Edited by jaxcam02
  • Thanks 1

There are several Hotshot tow guys on youtube who show their sleeping setup in the HD2500 trucks (same cab). Even how to run AC and heat so not to idle truck. Some good ideas on there. It can be done.

53 minutes ago, wahoowad said:

What is hotshotting?

Hauling time sensitive loads from one place to another.  Could be a couple hundred miles away or cross country.  Usually loads that aren't large enough to justify a semi to carry it

https://www.truckdriverssalary.com/hot-shot-trucking-101/#:~:text=Hot shots%2C in their true form%2C are medium-duty,using their rigs to haul freight like this.

Edited by dsr611

The bed tents are nice, but burdensome if you wanted to drive your truck around while camping.  The air mattress for the rear seat would seem to be the most logical solution, but man it can get HOT inside the truck during summer months.

I've got an inflatable queen mattress I use in the bed of my TrailBoss. Nothing beats sleeping out under the stars on spring and fall nights! I have a Roll 'n Lock bed cover and I'm 6' and fit well with my tailgate down. If it rains, I can roll the tonneau cover although that worked better back when I used to use a sleeping pad instead of the inflatable mattress.