Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Heated Windshield Washer Fluid


Z71-K9

Recommended Posts

Anyone remember the heated windshield washer fluid on the late 90s trucks?  Wonder why that didnt continue?  There should be a true winter package offered.  Heated oil pans, block heater, heated wipers.  Oh, and dual batteries.  Why cant we get dual batteries?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too many fires, failures and too many lawsuits. 

Bankrupted the supplier, IIRC.

Everyone was recalled and deactivated.

GM Recalls 1.5 Million Cars - GM Recall WindShield Washer Heaters (popularmechanics.com)

image.thumb.png.52019724480dbee9a42a01945da0c815.png

 

 

 

If you need/want dual batteries you can get them on the HD trucks.

(std on 6.6 dmax and available on the 6.6 gas.)

2024 2500:

image.thumb.png.7a7f13ff22bdb3d466f519850bec2eda.png

 

Block heaters are standard on the 3.0 and 6.6 dmax trucks

 

 

There are snowplow packages on the HD's

image.thumb.png.c90843664fdfac1ec37e590977463207.png

 

 

There is a snowplow package for the 1500, but only on some trims

image.png.e97eafaff1917fe60014cbf24cfeb409.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heated washer fluid was cool but it will burn up your truck. I live in Minnesota where it gets really f**king cold. Heated oil pan and block heaters are a good idea but really not needed in the cold. I would love to have heated seats though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Bikerjon said:

Heated washer fluid was cool but it will burn up your truck. I live in Minnesota where it gets really f**king cold. Heated oil pan and block heaters are a good idea but really not needed in the cold. I would love to have heated seats though.

I would give up heated seats for a heated steering wheel.... FYI I lived in MN until my job sent me to Colorado in late 2014 and I got out of that messed up state when I retired in 2022 (traffic between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins is worse that the Twin Cities metro area).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

IF it works. The "-40F" blue crap sold at Walmart freezes at 30 above. 

Are you adding the -40F stuff to some sort of summer washer fluid or using only the -40F stuff all year?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

IF it works. The "-40F" blue crap sold at Walmart freezes at 30 above. 

 

 

Are you mixing it with water or something?  I've used the Prestone winter (gold/yellow color) which is rated to -34F and I've never had it freeze.  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, newdude said:

 

 

Are you mixing it with water or something?  I've used the Prestone winter (gold/yellow color) which is rated to -34F and I've never had it freeze.  

Not the Prestone or RainX yellow stuff. The Walmart generic brand-of-the-month blue crap from China. It says up to -40 on the label, but routinely freezes at around +30.  The blue stuff at O'Reilly's says -40 and doesn't freeze until about 15 below. The yellow stuff is better but can be harder on paint. 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Jay P said:

I would give up heated seats for a heated steering wheel.... FYI I lived in MN until my job sent me to Colorado in late 2014 and I got out of that messed up state when I retired in 2022 (traffic between Colorado Springs and Fort Collins is worse that the Twin Cities metro area).

Beautiful country in Casper. Love to ride in that area.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

Not the Prestone or RainX yellow stuff. The Walmart generic brand-of-the-month blue crap from China. It says up to -40 on the label, but routinely freezes at around +30.  The blue stuff at O'Reilly's says -40 and doesn't freeze until about 15 below. The yellow stuff is better but can be harder on paint. 

 

 

 

Frozen in the tank or freezes on the windshield?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

IF it works. The "-40F" blue crap sold at Walmart freezes at 30 above. 

Are you SURE it's rated for -40F? A friend had bought some thinking it was winter rated and then looked at the bottle he had and it was only rated for 32F and above. They swap things out depending on time of year, or possibly mix in whatever is on the shelf with whatever they get in.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, MaverickZ71 said:

IF it works. The "-40F" blue crap sold at Walmart freezes at 30 above. 

The first "clue"..... Walmart...... It would have to be a life and death emergency for me to set foot in one of those stores. It's been years since I've gone to Walmart. 

 

I always had my washer fluid (really just water) freeze when visiting Michigan at Christmas. Living in Florida, the dealers just add water to top off the tanks during oil changes. I would try to add real stuff fut it would be too diluted. I had to be careful when using the wipers and carried a squirt bottle of the washer fluid as a backup. Traveling back home it would take me getting into Kentucky for it to thaw. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just use the orange Rain X -20F year around with zero issues in Chicago.  Works great.  I think the coating alone helps with removing ice.  That said, I have heard of some enterprising folks lengthening the washer pump hose to wrap it around the radiator hose a number of times to achieve some degree of heating and claimed it worked great. I have never tried it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.