Starter issues cold weather.

Starter cuts out intermittently when cranking once the weather drops past -10c ish and makes a loud buzzing sound. exact sound in video i found.

truck will still start up first try but usually cuts out mid crank/end of crank/sometimes doesn't crank at all making that sound the second i turn the key. just wondering why it only happens in cold weather and gets worse and more frequent the more the temps drop, happened last winter too so i bought a new starter just never installed it cause once it warmed up the truck cranks no problem haven't had any issues all summer starting it multiple times a day driving around and to different jobsites.  truck has a brand new battery,  battery blanket and block heater still happens when plugged in.

just curious if anyone has experienced this, could it be something im overlooking like a relay or bad ground to the starter. also  just looking to get out of replacing the starter in the snow haha. -35c in a few days would like to play around with it while its still -15c. (2005 gmc sierra 1500)

thanks a bunch guys

Edited by Pooble

I would start with doing a voltage drop test at the starter and your grounds, as you might have some resistance that maybe be affected by the cold weather. Check all your ground connections for corrosion too.

Sounds like the solenoid that kicks the starter gear out to engage the flywheel is malfunctioning. The belt isn't moving because the starter isn't turning the engine at all. You can replace just the solenoid, but if you already have a new starter, it comes with it so I would just replace the whole thing. Good luck!

Edited by Autocop

I believe if you remove the starter and grease the shaft the bendix gear is on it will cure the problem, but as suggested put the new starter in and save the old1 for a spare

• 2 weeks later...

Good chance the bendix is dragging due to the starter being frozen. Some sort of extreme temp lubrication on the starter shaft the bendix rides on might do the trick.