HID Headlight Bulbs / HID Projector Retrofit

I just finished my install. I purchased the Morimoto Elite HID Silverado kit with 5500K bulbs from Fast Headlights.

It only took about 20 minutes to hook everything up for the initial test, then several hours routing wires and choosing where to mount items to make the install look clean.

I mounted the passenger side ballast and relay under the plastic cover behind the top of the grill and in front of the radiator. The drivers side ballast was mounted to the metal pillar next to the bulb cover. The install looks really clean, but it will be a real pita when/if I need to replace a component.

attachicon.gifIMG_3491.JPG

Any night time light pictures?

getting a new truck in a couple weeks and one of the first things I'm going to do is put hid headlights in it. I have hid extra bulbs in my current truck and they are ok but i haven't been outstandingly impressed with them so i am looking to branch out and try something different. I here a lot of buzz about the morimoto headlights and are just wondering if those are still the best ones out there or if anyone has any other recommendations? TIA!!

getting a new truck in a couple weeks and one of the first things I'm going to do is put hid headlights in it. I have hid extra bulbs in my current truck and they are ok but i haven't been outstandingly impressed with them so i am looking to branch out and try something different. I here a lot of buzz about the morimoto headlights and are just wondering if those are still the best ones out there or if anyone has any other recommendations? TIA!!

Can't say as compared to other HID brands, but I did install a set of Morimoto Elite 4300K on my 2014 Sierra over the weekend and have been very happy with the improvement over stock.

Has anyone who has done the Morimoto drop-in upgrade had to do some serious readjustment of their lights? After installing I re-aimed my headlights with a 2.5" drop @ approximately 25'. Even with that adjustment it seems like I am spotlighting the trees when I hit high beam and the cutoff is above the road. Truck is a Z71 with stock suspension and 32" tires.

ok all heres my question i just got my hid kit trying to put it in my 2015 gmc with the projector head light now my prob is when i take the dust cover off and pull the factory plug out and put the hid in there no way for the factory plug to get out threw the 1'' hole i have to drill on the dust cover the rubber grommet that came on the builb has 2 extra holes on it and also came with a 8'' extenchen plug I'm thinking if i just cut the 2 wires on the 8' plug and feed them threw the hold into the housing and thing use butt connectors to splice them back and then plug that into the cap and then into the relay harness has anyone had to do this before so i can put the dust cover back on i tried to upload the pic of what i have but it says its to big

You shouldn't be cutting anything to install HIDS. This is what my Silverado lights look like after the 1" hole through the dust cover.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Your factory plug should stay inside the headlight and your HID bulb goes inside and the wires come out like this.

That's what I thought but the gromet has 4 holes for wires and only 2 on it I think really they just forgot to put the other 2 wires on the gromet but I would have to cut the 8"" wire feed it threw and reconnect it I wish I could get the pics to load and I could show you better

If you have plug and play hids now and aren't impressed go with a full on retrofit such as the fxr

I first put in the 4300k morimoto elite kit and although it was an upgrade over stock, I did the retrofit a year later. Wished I had done it right off the bat.

I would recommend morimoto, have had their kits in my past few trucks and everything has held up good for the most part and any issues have been replaced hassle free

I just installed the Morimoto 5500k HID kit with 50w ballasts yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! I have tried two different types of LED kits and both were just awful. The Morimoto kit was quite a bit more difficult to install, but worth the effort. I took my time and routed all the wires and mounted the ballasts and igniters so you can't see anything except the two wires coming out of the rear of the driver side light. The quality of the kit is first rate, too. Much better than any OEM setup I've seen.

The light output is stunning, and there is a nice sharp cutoff even with the stock projectors. I'm sure the FXR projectors are even better, but this upgrade is still amazing. I may do the retrofit later, but I was limited on time this time around. The 5500 is pretty close to the LED DRL's, but the 4500K would probably a closer match. I wanted the color to match my LED fog lights, and the 5500K is perfect in that respect.

Wish I had done this when I bought the truck 2 years ago,,,

• Like 1

I just installed the Morimoto 5500k HID kit with 50w ballasts yesterday, and all I can say is WOW! I have tried two different types of LED kits and both were just awful. The Morimoto kit was quite a bit more difficult to install, but worth the effort. I took my time and routed all the wires and mounted the ballasts and igniters so you can't see anything except the two wires coming out of the rear of the driver side light. The quality of the kit is first rate, too. Much better than any OEM setup I've seen.

The light output is stunning, and there is a nice sharp cutoff even with the stock projectors. I'm sure the FXR projectors are even better, but this upgrade is still amazing. I may do the retrofit later, but I was limited on time this time around. The 5500 is pretty close to the LED DRL's, but the 4500K would probably a closer match. I wanted the color to match my LED fog lights, and the 5500K is perfect in that respect.

Wish I had done this when I bought the truck 2 years ago,,,

Always good to hear. I am 'patiently' waiting for my FXR/Mori kit to come in....