2014+ Gas Mileage (MPG) Topic

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 6:03 AM, DONWT15 said:

I have the 3.42 gears and overall pretty satisfied. Usually check MPG's on runs up to our camp approx 75 miles from home. 8 miles at average of 40 mph, then 57 miles on the interstate with cruise set at 70, then another 7 miles on back roads around 45-50.

If I'm running with nothing loaded it gets 15 mpg, 20.5, and back to 15 again. About 17-18 average for the trip.

If running loaded: groceries, utility trailer with a John Deere lawn tractor, weed eater, gas, and any tools I might need (2200 lbs towed), and 2 adults it drops 1-1.5 mpg to 16-16.5 for the trip.

Quite happy with this. It's 3 mpg better than the F-150 with the 5.4L and 3.55 gears I traded in.

Not sure if there would be any benefit going to the 3.23 in my case IMHO.:D 

Don, your mileage pretty much reflects mine with the 5.3 and 3.42

5.3 with the 3.42. I was averaging 19-20 on my daily commute which is 7 miles city "50mph with 3 stop lights I always hit and 2 stop signs" 18 hwy "75mph minimum traffic lots of hills" each way. I got an elite catch can and switched from 87 to 89 gas at the same time a month ago. Not sure which to give credit to but now I hold steady at 22mpg give or take .3. ----- With the AFM turned off "range" I get a steady 20.5. For a truck this size I'm happy. 

2 hours ago, Harry-Nips said:

I have a 2014 6.2L with the 3.73 rear end (Max Tow) and I've averaged 12.7 L/100 km (18.5 US MPG) over the lifetime of the vehicle. A lot of that is highway driving but some of that is towing also, with winter fuel a lot of the year. I never put 87 or 89 in it, and overall quite happy with the vehicle. I highly recommend the 6.2L engine, it was the main reason I swapped from a 2500 since I didn't want a diesel.

That is why I got the 6.2L.  Mileage is very good and towing ..... wow.  It does well and I, too, am well pleased.

2 hours ago, batman900 said:

5.3 with the 3.42. I was averaging 19-20 on my daily commute which is 7 miles city "50mph with 3 stop lights I always hit and 2 stop signs" 18 hwy "75mph minimum traffic lots of hills" each way. I got an elite catch can and switched from 87 to 89 gas at the same time a month ago. Not sure which to give credit to but now I hold steady at 22mpg give or take .3. ----- With the AFM turned off "range" I get a steady 20.5. For a truck this size I'm happy. 

A boost in Octane rating will boost the the mpg and power from the engine.  Whenever I would tow, I would go up one octane rating.  Better pull, better mileage, runs a little cooler.  I've done that with all my tow vehicles except my current one; it already requires premium gas so there's no where to go but down.  :lol:

Edited by elchilero53

On 9/18/2018 at 10:28 AM, batman900 said:

Well you wouldn't be the first person to note improved fuel economy from a catch can. Just the other day I watched a YouTube video of a guy who installed a catch can on his Sierra and his fuel mileage increased by an amazing 2 mpg. I just installed a catch can myself the other day and I don't know if it's the can or what but I'm averaging a little better fuel economy (tough to put an exact figure on it yet but I'd say it's gone up maybe 1 mpg so far). It's something I'm going to keep an eye on.

• 1 month later...

2014 crew cab with 5.3

I have been going back and forth using v4 and turning it off with a tuner and here is what i noticed..

V4 ON i get about 18mpg avg 21 max on highway trips, transmission is confused, i hear lot more clunks and clicks

V4 OFF i get about 17mpg avg 19-20 on highway. No more clunks, it feels more solid and transmission knows what its doing.

So im turning it off for good, and since im getting an aftermarket exhaust and removing the flapper, i no longer need V4 mode on.

I also have 87 octane tune with the tuner i have.

37 minutes ago, Ozer said:

2014 crew cab with 5.3

I have been going back and forth using v4 and turning it off with a tuner and here is what i noticed..

V4 ON i get about 18mpg avg 21 max on highway trips, transmission is confused, i hear lot more clunks and clicks

V4 OFF i get about 17mpg avg 19-20 on highway. No more clunks, it feels more solid and transmission knows what its doing.

So im turning it off for good, and since im getting an aftermarket exhaust and removing the flapper, i no longer need V4 mode on.

I also have 87 octane tune with the tuner i have.

Same year and motor and same result tuning out v4 I see a 1mpg drop. I guess I didnt really pay attention if the trans acted differently. I only get the clunk on real hard accelerations and I currently have v4 on. I may have to try it off again. What exhaust are you thinking of going with? 

Im just getting the Carven TR muffler and 4" tip, leaving stock pipe and resonator on.

Same year and motor and same result tuning out v4 I see a 1mpg drop. I guess I didnt really pay attention if the trans acted differently. I only get the clunk on real hard accelerations and I currently have v4 on. I may have to try it off again. What exhaust are you thinking of going with? 

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I'm on a road trip from Arkansas to Florida, my 2018 CC Z71 with 6.2 and 3.23 gears and BFG KO2 275/60r20 tires averaged 20.2 mpg over 1050 miles (computer was showing 21.5). I'm running 93 octane and cruise was set between 70 and 75 for most of the trip. Odometer was around 5,500 miles when I left, around 6,800 right now. I'm gonna check the mileage on the way back too. 

• Like 1

I'm on a road trip from Arkansas to Florida, my 2018 CC Z71 with 6.2 and 3.23 gears and BFG KO2 275/60r20 tires averaged 20.2 mpg over 1050 miles (computer was showing 21.5). I'm running 93 octane and cruise was set between 70 and 75 for most of the trip. Odometer was around 5,500 miles when I left, around 6,800 right now. I'm gonna check the mileage on the way back too. 

I was getting approx 25 mpg stock. 20mpg leveled and now approx 17-19 with lift and tires. Woohoo, still better than my stock 14 5.3 which lucky if it gave me 15-16 lol
  • Like 1

If I had a dime for every time I've heard, "If you want gas mileage then don't buy a truck".....

I just noticed that this thread had 145 'viewable' followers and 98 pages of post. Guess it concerns more people that people let on, eh? :thumbs: :lol:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

I'm now 21,000 miles into this thing (2018 LT 5.3) and my lifetime average is 24.5.

The winter has dragged it down some - in the warm weather I generally average 25-26 mpg during my weekly 600 mile commute (mix highway/back roads). My lifetime average before winter hit was 25.1 at that time. I'm now averaging 23.5 a week doing the same commute, but in temperatures in the 20's. 

Knock on wood, the truck has been great in so many ways. Very versatile machine. No problems yet.

• Thanks 1

At 21K miles on my 2017 5.3, 3.42.  Always check mileage at the pump as computer is 1.3 mpg optimistic. The closer to empty it gets, the more accurate the read. In my daily commute, I get 18mpg.  14 miles one way that is 70% at 65mph and 30% neighborhood and town.  Winter takes me down to 17mpg.  Driving to South Dakota at an average of 70mph, I got 21-22mpg with a light load (2 people, 3 small dogs, 300lbs cargo).

I recently got an 87 octane tune with AFM off (CAI/Borla touring). Same trip was 19.3 and 19.4 coming and going, but temps were 20 degrees and below.  I anticipate hitting 20-21 in warmer weather.  Still observing new commute mpg, but winter temps will effect.

Edited by RMR
spelling

So for the last 3 years and 58103 miles of tracking I was driving a 2008 Sierra Denali AWD with a Black Bear tune and Airaid MIT with an AEM dry filter. That truck got a lifetime MPG of 13.1. Over the last 25k miles, I averaged 12.8 which was after I put in a Texas Speed custom grind cam.

Since getting my 2016 Sierra Denali 6.2/4WD with 3.23 gears on 12/18 and putting 1065 miles, I'm averaging 16mpg. I use the truck for work. I own and operate a window cleaning business, so about 60% is highway, and the other 40% is city/rural with lots of starts and stops as I go from job to job. I also carry about 400lbs of equipment/water with me in the bed and I don't really have a light foot. I'm quite happy to be getting better MPG and am hoping to get that up to 17 or more average. I've ordered a Magnaflow 12909, and will be getting a tune and CAI soon as well.