GM scores "marginal" in large pickup rollover test GMT900

This article was an eye opener for me. I always thought that pickup trucks
were one of the safest vehicles; for the most part they are unless you roll it
and the roof is not strong enough to withstand the weight of the truck.

Note, that only 1500 crew cab pickups were tested. HD's are feared to fair worse in this test due to their increased wieght.

I have to commend Ford for being the only automaker that scored the best rating "Good".

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/09/iihs-rollover-test-and-pickup-safety.html

I would think that the new 2014 K2XX would fair better due to the use of more ultra and high strength steel in the cab structure. We can hope....

How hard would it be to conceal a rollbar in the door pillars and headliner on a full size truck?

How hard would it be to conceal a rollbar in the door pillars and headliner on a full size truck?

It isn't about hard- its about designing a vehicle to meet the standards of the time. The roof crush test didn't exist yet when the 900-series trucks were designed so it's not surprising they didn't do as good as trucks with a newer design. I'm sure the K2 trucks will do well in the test.

As for adding one yourself- the biggest issue would be working around the various side airbags if your truck has them.

Yes the early no side air bag 900s are weak in the side crash too. I am sure the '14s will be at the top in this. Just keep the shiny side up as they say. The dang roof crush test is probably why we will not see a true hard top 2dr again. I guess the test was brought on to protect the folks that do not understand the center of gravity stuff. And the inadvertent trying to get out of the way truck driver.

But shiny side up may be harder to do now if you have to suddenly dodge a texting yellow line crosser. Or as we have had a bunch of flat run thru the barriers and divided area and into oncoming interstate traffic. Last such one killed several and sent a bunch on air life. 3Pm and the reason given for crossing was distracted driver. I always stay out of the left lane on interstate at night due to drunks going the wrong way. I now try to stay out of it in daytime and keep an eye peeled for incoming.

It isn't about hard- its about designing a vehicle to meet the standards of the time. The roof crush test didn't exist yet when the 900-series trucks were designed so it's not surprising they didn't do as good as trucks with a newer design. I'm sure the K2 trucks will do well in the test.

As for adding one yourself- the biggest issue would be working around the various side airbags if your truck has them.

What I meant is I think rollbars, even a simple one, should have been a standard safety feature in all vehicles for years now.

What I meant is I think rollbars, even a simple one, should have been a standard safety feature in all vehicles for years now.

Reduction in headroom. Cost. Potential head injury from someone unbelted hitting it. Cost. Not needed to meet crash protection targets at the time. Cost. Mostly cost.

If they don't need to do it they won't.

Add to that weight, which equals reduced mpg. Just put some good wheels/tires on it and drive as defensively as possible.

Rollover ratings is a huge reason behind why the new "double" cab has four individual doors instead of like the old "extended" cab's suicide doors. Increased roof rigidity.

• 1 month later...

Rollover ratings is a huge reason behind why the new "double" cab has four individual doors instead of like the old "extended" cab's suicide doors. Increased roof rigidity.

Does this mean the GMT900 crew cabs are safer on rollovers than the extended or reg cab trucks?

Archived