Backup camera upgradable?

kelub

Yes this backup camera on the '14 Silverado is much Lower resolution than the last two cars I have owned which had backup cameras (neither were Chevy's). For the most part it seems to work and I can see, but the biggest problem w/ the low resolution is that once it gets even a little dirty you are totally blind. At least on the higher res cameras I've had when they get dirty you can still make out stuff in the screen. That said, the Silverado's camera seems to do better backing up into the sun than my other two cars.

Edited by Nickshu

The other big problem is it takes a long time for the camera to night/day mode to update when backing out of the garage. I can back all the way out and by the time I'm putting it in drive it updates and you can finally see something.

I agree... The sharpness is quite bad compared to my wife's 2008 Honda... But the BIG screen makes a huge difference... If I could have the big screen and a crisper video... that would be awesome.

I want to install a quick connect so I can unhook the camera from the tailgate and connect a different camera (On the back of my camper) once I'm hitched up.

I found the schematics, I just need to do a little testing of the pinouts. It will be interesting to see what a different camera looks like on the same display.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

HD camera or any other higher resolution camera will do no good when the infotainment screen is the controller of the end result resolution. So unless you have a way to change out the infotainment screen with one with higher resolution then a higher resolution camera wont do a thing.

I already posed this question to the engineers when I was working on the radio process.