Halogen & LED Headlight Bulb Upgrades

Thus far I have had no issues at all since I installed them, without the dust covers on. I've been through rain and slush and have noticed no condensation buildup or anything. They have performed flawlessly. Still very impressed with them. And for the money, one breaks it goes out in the year, I just buy another set :)

Just to play it super safe though, I keep the original bulbs inside the glove compartment. If by chance I were to get pulled over and told the truck was illegal, I could put the original bulbs in on the roadside and get on down the road.

My truck is a little high, it's stock, but I have 33 inch tires and I jack the torsion bars up a couple inches. I pay very close attention when I come up on somebody at the light to see if I'm blinding them. Maybe because my front end is up a little high, but believe it or not, only a few people have I noticed at the stoplight that the headlights were directly in the rearview and it bothered them. But no more often than my truck always has with the regular lights being high.

The vast majority of other people it doesn't do that. I have also passed many police officers goin the opposite direction on a 2 Lane Rd. at night and haven't seen them flinch. They are bright, but I do not believe illegally bright. I do think I want to lower them some though as I am shining objects half-mile away

• Like 1

Hey so read through some of this thread and then shopped by vehicle at xenon depot and came up with this. Looks like plug and play and think i read it will all fit behind the dust cover.

Look right for a 14 silverado with low beam projectors?

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-LED-headlight-kit-p/h11-led-hl.htm

Edited by jrob56

Thus far I have had no issues at all since I installed them, without the dust covers on. I've been through rain and slush and have noticed no condensation buildup or anything. They have performed flawlessly. Still very impressed with them. And for the money, one breaks it goes out in the year, I just buy another set :)

Just to play it super safe though, I keep the original bulbs inside the glove compartment. If by chance I were to get pulled over and told the truck was illegal, I could put the original bulbs in on the roadside and get on down the road.

My truck is a little high, it's stock, but I have 33 inch tires and I jack the torsion bars up a couple inches. I pay very close attention when I come up on somebody at the light to see if I'm blinding them. Maybe because my front end is up a little high, but believe it or not, only a few people have I noticed at the stoplight that the headlights were directly in the rearview and it bothered them. But no more often than my truck always has with the regular lights being high.

The vast majority of other people it doesn't do that. I have also passed many police officers goin the opposite direction on a 2 Lane Rd. at night and haven't seen them flinch. They are bright, but I do not believe illegally bright. I do think I want to lower them some though as I am shining objects half-mile away

I'm sorry, many pages here...what do you run for lighting? Sierra?

Sent from my iPhone

I'm sorry, many pages here...what do you run for lighting? Sierra?

Sent from my iPhone

Same question, Silverado?

I have the starnil 80W 7200LM LED H11's. They are an improvement over stock. However in at least 2 other vehicles I've owned I ran DDM 35w 6000K HID's and have to say they are substantially brighter. The quality of the light is good on the LED's they just don't project very well. I like them, but they are not salvation for these trucks poor lighting.

I know about the projector retrofit's , I'm just saying they don't have the same power, period. Maybe 15ft out, but not very far ahead. & NO Way are these things 7200LM - I don't even know about 3600LM for both. I have run a 35W acro HID driving light at 3400LM that would blow these things away just as a single light.

I agree that the LED's just have not reached the point of development where you can say they have surpassed HID, with the exception of OEM fitments, and True off-road lighting LED's(Like baja designs, etc..) . Not in the bulb replacement arena.

Looking for a Silverado Fog replacement that works and isn't $300. Tempted to go DDM 35W H16's and see where it get's me.

Edited by kennerz

Ok so I am fairly new to this forum and I have a dumb question. Are there any LED bulbs that I can just plug into my factory light sockets (meaning the headlights and fog lights) without adding any addition ballast or anything? I have a 2015 LTZ CC with the projector lights?

Hey so read through some of this thread and then shopped by vehicle at xenon depot and came up with this. Looks like plug and play and think i read it will all fit behind the dust cover.

Look right for a 14 silverado with low beam projectors?

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-LED-headlight-kit-p/h11-led-hl.htm

Yes, jrob56 I just ordered these and will be installing them this weekend.

Ordered the matching fog lights, heard they put out less lumens than stock, but it'll be more appearance once the new low beams are installed.

Ok so I am fairly new to this forum and I have a dumb question. Are there any LED bulbs that I can just plug into my factory light sockets (meaning the headlights and fog lights) without adding any addition ballast or anything? I have a 2015 LTZ CC with the projector lights?

See the above link Justin5352. There are also VLED LMZ & LMZ Platinum.

These options are P&P without the heatsink fan, they use a copper braid to dissipate the heat.

Ordered the matching fog lights, heard they put out less lumens than stock, but it'll be more appearance once the new low beams are installed.

These options are P&P without the heatsink fan, they use a copper braid to dissipate the heat.

Great let me know how the install goes and post some pics!

Thanks guys and I will check it out!

Has anyone tried a 9012 LED bulb? I know initially people were modifying the 9012 to get the added light output so I'm wondering if anyone has modded a 9012 LED to get even more light and the color we all want.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried a 9012 LED bulb? I know initially people were modifying the 9012 to get the added light output so I'm wondering if anyone has modded a 9012 LED to get even more light and the color we all want.

EDIT: What I meant by this was 9011... Has anyone found or tried modifying a 9011 LED bulb?

• 3 weeks later...

Alright friends, hoping all can help, reading these 30 + page threads is eating away my days.

I picked up the xenon depot lights for 20 bucks on ebay, they looked great color wise, but the distance of light output was terrible. And they did not seem very bright, also the 3and9 requirement seemed about impossible, when you put them in they are at 3 and 9 before you turn them at all, I was extremely disapointed with them, and the 2 side led just looks bad, lots of dead light area. They were so bad I actually put the dealer installed tsb bulbs back in.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Philips 9012 HIR2 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb before seeing this thread. After reading this I am really curious about the starnill bulbs. I love how they have led's on 3 sides. I am concerned over the install a bit.

Hoping you guys can answer a few questions, I have a 2014 sierra, did you guys use the 9005 or 9006? Would you say the length of light is as good as the oem bulbs, and hopefully better?

I drive a lot of night with lots of wildlife on the roads. I also have led foglights and would like the headlight color to match better.

Thanks in advance, I think what it really comes down to is that guys want the best bulb for the money, without having to deal with hid's. Are these starnill bulbs the best out there? Or should I go with the philips hir and wait for further developments in the led headlights?

• Like 1

I have starnill lights in both trucks. Used 9005 in the headlights with a small amount of trimming and reversed the polarity by turning plug 180. Also placed everything inside the housing.Used starnill 5202 for the fogs and that helped also.Had to do a small amount of trimming on the housing also.Used a hid conversion plug on the fogs to connect wiring so not to cut OEM wires.All of this is better than the GM update.With that said the performance is still sub standard. My wife's Durango has better lights. It is the far reaching light that is lacking.9011's will reach out farther but will not match for appearance sake. Have aux light mounted to the license plate bracket from ACI wired to a remote relay and paired to one of the garage door switches.They are for back country roads only.

Alright friends, hoping all can help, reading these 30 + page threads is eating away my days.

I picked up the xenon depot lights for 20 bucks on ebay, they looked great color wise, but the distance of light output was terrible. And they did not seem very bright, also the 3and9 requirement seemed about impossible, when you put them in they are at 3 and 9 before you turn them at all, I was extremely disapointed with them, and the 2 side led just looks bad, lots of dead light area. They were so bad I actually put the dealer installed tsb bulbs back in.

I was ready to pull the trigger on the Philips 9012 HIR2 Standard Halogen Headlight Bulb before seeing this thread. After reading this I am really curious about the starnill bulbs. I love how they have led's on 3 sides. I am concerned over the install a bit.

Hoping you guys can answer a few questions, I have a 2014 sierra, did you guys use the 9005 or 9006? Would you say the length of light is as good as the oem bulbs, and hopefully better?

I drive a lot of night with lots of wildlife on the roads. I also have led foglights and would like the headlight color to match better.

Thanks in advance, I think what it really comes down to is that guys want the best bulb for the money, without having to deal with hid's. Are these starnill bulbs the best out there? Or should I go with the philips hir and wait for further developments in the led headlights?

• Like 1

So does anyone have a video showing how to install these "plug n play" bulbs?