Post your fuel economy while towing

OUSux

Stock 2014 Sierra 6.2 3.42 gears pulling 3500lbs boat. Getting around 15mpg on the highway running 91 non-oxy gas avg speed 55-60 mph. Im guessing that will drop some when I hit the freeway with speeds in the 70's. Have only towed the boat once on the highway so I dont have a great handle on what the mpg's will be but I hope they stay close to the 15 I did get.

Bone stock 2005 HD with factory size tires.

First trip towing this past Sunday. Short stint on freeway, then to state highways and gravel roads. Didn't really push it hard top speed was 60ish, most time 50 or so. I had the 580# ATV in the bed and our 19ft bumper pull travel trailer on the back. I ran it in tow-mode going, but not coming back as I wanted to see the difference.in shifting pattern. Filled up and came out to 9mpg on the nut?

Kind of related but not- Coming back into town the fuel gauge light came on, Oh crap!. Hit the closest Chevron and was able to get 22.6 gal in without overfilling. So, does that tell me that once the light comes on I have 3 or so, gallons remaining?

Edited by idnative1948

2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab 5.3L 3.43 towing a 22' camper that is 5250lbs dry and around 6k loaded

Best trip was ~200 miles and I got 11.8 MPG, worst was almost the same distance and I got 10.5 MPG.

2014 double cab 5.3 maw tow, towing 7500 lb travel trailer.

Last trip was about 140 miles in western Pa hills, got 10.7.

Heading west to Bowling Green next week, will see how it does across the Ohio flat lands.

Never got over 12 towing with my previous duramax, so I will be happy with anything in double digits.

• 5 months later...

i just did my first major tow. i bought a brand new Keystone 32' bunkhouse total weight 6180 lbs.

picked it up in Wisconsin and towed it 1200 miles to colorado.

i averaged 23 mpg on the way there at 75 mph

on the return trip had a lot of headwind and got about 8.5 mpg in the wind but once we got to Nebraska MPG improved to about 10 mpg at 65 mph.

drafted a few semis and saw 14 mpg

truck is a 2014 6.2 all terrain with edelbrock e force supercharger.

stayed in 5th gear most of the trip and occasionally was able to hold 6th gear on the flat or down hill.

considering what i was towing and the speed's varied between 60-65 mph i was pretty happy with the results.

unfortunately stopping every 200 miles for fuel sucked!

interestingly enough it seems the wind your pushing has more to do with MPG than the weight. several times i managed 12-14 mpg behind a semi truck going up hill!

With my current trailer, GVWR of 4200lbs, I can get anywhere from 11-14mpg depending on terrain and speed. I'm always in 3rd with T/H engaged.

I know have a different truck, so I'll have to wait and see what kind of numbers I'll be getting when I tow. Can't wait!!!

I can get 13mpg's empty. When towing, I usually get 10mpg's with a flatbed, and 9mpg's with any enclosed trailer. Weight doesn't seem to make a difference as far as mpg's.

I didn't buy the truck for the gas mileage.... I drive a G6 when I don't need the truck.

Kind of related but not- Coming back into town the fuel gauge light came on, Oh crap!. Hit the closest Chevron and was able to get 22.6 gal in without overfilling. So, does that tell me that once the light comes on I have 3 or so, gallons remaining?

Yes.

Right at 10 towing this monster. Very rough and even scary on a windy day. I should have had weight distribution and sway control but I did not.

Make sure you've got enough weight at the front of the camper.

The wife loaded ours once and put too much stuff in the back making to tounge too light. The slightest breeze was throwing the truck all around. Only made it about 7 miles before I pulled over and moved things around.

Right at 10 towing this monster. Very rough and even scary on a windy day. I should have had weight distribution and sway control but I did not.

tmpPhoto_zpslgp0pgvo.jpg

Dang that is a beast of a trailer. Definitely would be getting a weight distribution system and anti-sway set up on that.

• Like 1

Dang that is a beast of a trailer. Definitely would be getting a weight distribution system and anti-sway set up on that.

It was a weekend rental. The guy who set me up said I didn't need it, and boy was he wrong. It was really windy.

20141010_163608_zps4qwuu7d4.jpg