Any way to modify initial throttle response?

The initial throttle response from a stop seem lazy to me. This was the very first thing I noticed when I test drove the 1st 2014. I test drove a 2 more (bought the 3rd one) and they all seemed to be about the same, so I don't think there is anything necessarily wrong with mine.

What I find is, accelerating from a dead stop is like..throttle, more, more, then....oh that's too much. I'm sure this is something that I will get used to over time if nothing changes but I'm curious if anybody has addressed this and successfully made an improvement?

I haven't looked into any of the tuners out there...maybe some offer throttle sensitivity controls?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Really interested to hear some feedback from someone who has tuned their 14 Silverado. I hear lots of folks that have tuned older trucks but no 5.3 direct injection engines that can speak on throttle response and tranny shifts specifically.

Thanks guys!

Chelmer,

These guys are 100% correct. A tune will fix a lot of other small issues as well BUT I just wanted to let you know that IF you have to go in for anything major related to drive train, there is a very good chance that you will loose your warranty. Diablo is "claiming" that their tune cannot be detected and swear to this fact and I believe them, but would I test that out putting my own 5/100k warranty on the line? Well... I am a tuner myself, I have HP-Tuners and my tune is still factory. Trust me... I want to crack into it every day but this new global architecture programming built into the '14s mixed with a new engine design, has me sitting back and waiting for the bugs and the truth about tunes to surface before I start gambling with my warranty.

Good luck to you and keep us posted either way you go.

Steve

Chelmer,

These guys are 100% correct. A tune will fix a lot of other small issues as well BUT I just wanted to let you know that IF you have to go in for anything major related to drive train, there is a very good chance that you will loose your warranty. Diablo is "claiming" that their tune cannot be detected and swear to this fact and I believe them, but would I test that out putting my own 5/100k warranty on the line? Well... I am a tuner myself, I have HP-Tuners and my tune is still factory. Trust me... I want to crack into it every day but this new global architecture programming built into the '14s mixed with a new engine design, has me sitting back and waiting for the bugs and the truth about tunes to surface before I start gambling with my warranty.

Good luck to you and keep us posted either way you go.

Steve

Thank you Steve. I've looked around the net and researched the tuners out there but haven't pulled the trigger just for this reason. The dealership that I bought my truck from provides a lifetime powertrain warranty so this may wind up being the first new vehicle I keep for more than a couple years. I am frustrated with the way the engine and truck react to the first, say 10% of throttle but am I willing to sacrifice my warranty over it...absolutely not. BUT, I would enjoy driving it much more if I could make it more responsive in that area of throttle response. I'm curious about how this will feel when I'm pulling my toy hauler this summer.

GM's throttle response has been horrible since 2007. I've had two 6.2's, an 07 which was dreadful, and now an '11 which is better, but still sucks. It's all about mpg, sorry to say. Because that's what most people want. And add the fact that GM marketing rules the day, and HP numbers sell, so they say 430hp, but the low end rpm range suffers. GM made a big deal about the new 6.2's being even more powerfull, yeah they are, but only after 2500rpm. I've looked at the performance curves. same-same to the old 6.2 below that. Get used to going up hills like a granny or a race car, there is no in-between, very sorry to say. The pedal and response sucks, unless you drive it like a racecar. I've got 50K on my '11, and I have to constantly shift it myself, or put it in tow-haul to make it work. What a PITA. And tow-haul mode is too aggressive for daily driving, but I usually stomach it to get the truck to work.

GM should do us all a favor and just put a fricken button in that allows us to select shift/performance modes.

Note: I just bought a beater farm truck, a '99 K2500 with the 5.7/4sp/3.73, and it performs better down low than the Nanny-CAFE-EPA-MPGwhiners-6.2, again sorry to say.

Sad part is it doesn't have to be this way. I am tuning my next 6.2 for sure.

Part of the issue with throttle response is 3.08 gears, and torque management software. Supposedly supposed to help MPGs...but it totally sucks life out of trucks.

Yeah once I had my '13 6.2 tuned and completely disabled TM, It went like a bat out of hell. Man I wish I would have bought another 6.2.

Part of the issue with throttle response is 3.08 gears, and torque management software. Supposedly supposed to help MPGs...but it totally sucks life out of trucks.

Gears really aren't the issue with the problem he is referring to, the throttle pedal is no longer connected to the throttle body directly via a cable or linkage like they use to be. It actually goes through the ECM now. Now the throttle blade angle is not linear to peddle angle, they have what seems like a delay because of the ramp angle programmed into the ECM. This is a simplified over exaggeration but picture 50% throttle peddle to open throttle blade 20% plus it come up gradually starting off slow then ramping up faster the more you press the pedal. Not sure why this is done but it's incredibly annoying, especially for people who enjoy driving.

• 3 months later...

Gears really aren't the issue with the problem he is referring to, the throttle pedal is no longer connected to the throttle body directly via a cable or linkage like they use to be. It actually goes through the ECM now. Now the throttle blade angle is not linear to peddle angle, they have what seems like a delay because of the ramp angle programmed into the ECM. This is a simplified over exaggeration but picture 50% throttle peddle to open throttle blade 20% plus it come up gradually starting off slow then ramping up faster the more you press the pedal. Not sure why this is done but it's incredibly annoying, especially for people who enjoy driving.

This was mentioned in a thread on Corvette Forum I recently read and it can be more than compensated for in a tune to actually be very responsive. Corvettes of Westchester is the name of the shop and the owner/tuner is Chuck. He performs a mod to the tune that he calls the COW Booster. The way I read it he needs your PCM or he will do it on an exchange basis. All positive feedback on the mod and he travels to different areas at times booking tunes in advance. He is one of a short list of tuners I would recommend to tune on the 6L80E as it is very particular to TCM and PCM changes both.

Here is a link to the Corvettes Of Westchester thread which explains in more detail what TDT wrote in post #13 above.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-tech-performance/2895038-cow-booster-the-most-amazing-c6-product-ever-offered-guaranteed.html

Archived