Heated steering wheel

2 hours ago, MNorby said:

I believe the airbag wiring is different between the 1500 vs 2500/3500 as well. Seems one has 1 plug vs other has 2.

That is correct.  The wiring for the airbag is on the clock spring though.  Does not affect what steering wheel you use.  You can get a 2500 wheel and just put the dampener from the 1500 wheel to the 2500 wheel. 

2 hours ago, MNorby said:

I believe the airbag wiring is different between the 1500 vs 2500/3500 as well. Seems one has 1 plug vs other has 2.

That is correct.  The wiring for the airbag is on the clock spring though.  Does not affect what steering wheel you use.  You can get a 2500 wheel and just put the dampener from the 1500 wheel to the 2500 wheel. 

Ah, true, forgot it was just the clockspring to airbag. I remember that now when I was looking I was finding way more deals on wheels on ebay for 1500 trucks than 2500 and thought the same thing but held out and finally found a good deal on a 2500 wheel so didn't mess with that. When all said and done after buying a new wheel and clockspring and selling my old ones I was out of pocket under $100 for the heated wheel upgrade. Definitely a worthwhile upgrade

On 8/3/2019 at 1:26 PM, johnhankel said:

Yes the yellow rubber pieces hold on the dampener.  So the one on the left has the dampener on it.  Not sure what year of truck you have, but the steering wheel with heat without crash assist for a 2018 is 84353110.  

Also FYI -- there are different part numbers for the black vs. cocoa wheel ...

Also FYI -- there are different part numbers for the black vs. cocoa wheel ...

Thanks for all the info guys. The cocoa wheels for our truck, that are in good shape, are kinda scarce on eBay. That’s why I started looking at the 2500/3500 ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

Hey what’s up man, I’ve been wanting to upgrade my seats on a SLE with cloth seats and no heating capability. I want to install the seats from a Denali with heated and cooled seats. I’ve been doing a lot of research but I still can’t figure out if it will work or not. I saw that you’ve been working on this and I was just wondering if you were able to figure it out?

On 10/26/2019 at 3:25 AM, __Montes said:

Hey what’s up man, I’ve been wanting to upgrade my seats on a SLE with cloth seats and no heating capability. I want to install the seats from a Denali with heated and cooled seats. I’ve been doing a lot of research but I still can’t figure out if it will work or not. I saw that you’ve been working on this and I was just wondering if you were able to figure it out?

that's really a different topic all together.. (I would think your inquiry will see more traffic if you start a new thread)..

• 1 month later...

looks like I'm getting in on the fun

i have a 2014 silverado LT that was built in 13'

haven't tested the plug, but if it doesn't work, @pgamboa always had the fix! 

steering wheel sourced from 

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-wheel-84483768/?c=Zz1zdGVlcmluZyZzPXN0ZWVyaW5nLXdoZWVsLWFuZC10cmltJmk9R0gxNDM0MjUmcj0xJmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89c2lsdmVyYWRvLTE1MDAmeT0yMDE0JnQ9bHQmZT01LTNsLXY4LWZsZXg%3D

clock spring from

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-clock-spring-23381964/?c=Zz1lbGVjdHJpY2FsJnM9YWlyLWJhZy1jb21wb25lbnRzJmk9R0ExNTQ4MDUmcj0xJmE9Y2hldnJvbGV0Jm89c2lsdmVyYWRvLTE1MDAmeT0yMDE0JnQ9bHQmZT01LTNsLXY4LWZsZXg%3D

$294.34 
total with shipping costs.

which I believe is reasonable

looking foward to the parts showing up!

Thank you pgamboa and the tinkering fox

Heated steering wheel upgrade (GM 2014+)

image.php?album_id=54121&image_id=386477

Ordered fromhttps://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
Clock Spring Part# 23381964  $51.99
Wheel (Black) Part#  84483768 $214.90

Wiring Harness  $31.20  https://harnessdr.com/product/2014-2017-silverado-sierra-heated-steering-wheel-harness/

Tinkering Fox wheel install video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIUFAF0RmrU
Phil Gamboa Wiring harness install video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOCEwQcaKh4

Notes: Not all trucks need the wiring harness. My truck is a 2014 LTZ that had the fuse and the connector present, but it was not hot. You can save yourself the money and direct wire it, but i prefer  plug and play.

Edited by Falling Ace
fix links
  • Like 3

• 2 years later...

I was about to start installing my heated steering wheel on my 2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, when I said I'm going to test to make sure I had power at the connection.  Easiest way seemed to hook up the clock spring connection then test it the connector on the clock spring.  When I went to connect the clock spring (84186645), it didn't seem to fit.  Guess GM had some left over older harnesses they put in the 2018s.  Looks like I'll be ordering a 14-17 clock spring (23381964).  For those with 2018's might be worth while to check your truck wiring harness side connector before ordering the clock spring.

20220305_153438.jpg

20220305_153802.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi All

very new to the forum, love all the info about this heated steering wheel upgrade which i'm going to do on my 2016 silverado lt....i actually had the wheel installed today and it doesn't work.  no surprise after reading this forum lol.  i have a question about the clockspring though.  23381964, if you buy a wheel today that has no heat, it takes this spring, if you buy a wheel that has heat, it takes this spring.  what spring part # is in my truck from the dealer?  is there a way to figure this out?  i guess i'm curious to know if i absolutely need this new spring.  is this 23381964 spring just the replacment of literally all other springs??

• 4 months later...
On 1/13/2019 at 12:30 PM, ford5of5 said:

@Fullthrottletwo,

I used this clockspring:  https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Airbag-Air-Bag-Clock-Spring-for-Chevrolet-Silverado-Replace-OE-23381964/292114650884?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and this steering wheel:  https://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=183591799954&view=all&tid=1908451851008

The wheel I used is the part# for a 2500. My 1500 had a weight attached to the old wheel that needed to be swapped over to the new 2500 wheel, took about a minute to do. The weight is the only difference.

The orange piece on the clockspring holds the spring in place. do not remove it until you install the clockspring. If you already pulled it off then use tape or caution to prevent the spring from moving around too much.

I have an IO3 system so my wheel doesn't light up but the cruise control and heat does work. I got worried when my wheel didn't light up but a member here reminded me that there's an extra wire that needs to be run for it. Another member mentions that if you make your own harness do not oversize the wire or else it will short cycle the heating functions. I can confirm this as I used 14g wire from the RAP for power and ground. I changed it to 22g, which is scarring me, and the heat function works a lot better.

I don't have a wire gauge tool and I can't see any wire markings on my clockspring. Can anyone confirm the wire size coming from the left dash fuse box to the connector on the clock spring, the purple wire with white strip?

I've read Pgamboa as pagoda too, LOL! He and several other members deserve a big thanks for figuring this stuff out for the rest of us. Thank you!

What wire needs to be added to enable the lights on the wheel?

Necro bump.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know if you can use the steering wheel with adaptive cruise and heat? Obviously I don’t have either but want the headed wheel and can’t find the wheel with heat only. I also can’t find an OEM clock spring that is the right PN has anyone used an aftermarket one and had good luck?