Bilstein shocks thread

Hey guys, I've done my best to answer all my own questions by reading through this thread but i wanted to know if anyone has looked in to the eibach shocks. It looks like they are comparable in price and they look almost the same, but come with more lift. I'm really only wanting a .75" lift over stock as i tow pretty frequently. 

Does anyone in here have photos of their 5100's set to the first or second  lift point? Also, if anyone who is reading has the eibach shocks, feel free to comment on how you are liking them, 

Thanks 

Hey everyone, 

As many stated, I’ve read just about all I can take of this thread and many side threads on these shocks.

Just wanted to get some clarification on the measurements. I have the RC 2” spacer now, but also want to replace all 4 shocks with the 5100s on my 15 Silverado. From what I see the back shocks are 1” longer than stock. 

So to get the truck level, I can use the stock rear blocks, and then set the front shocks on the higher setting or keep the RC spacer plus the stock height on the new fronts, right? 

I see a lot of people using the top strut spacer, and I’m open to that if it’s the better option. Seems to be lots of options and opinions out there, so hit me with them. 

I don't know what's best, but I just put my front 5100s on last night. My truck already had the RC spacers so I left the 5100s at the stock setting and re-used the spacers. I also found I have what looks to be a 1/2" strut spacer on top which I didn't realize wasn't a factory piece until after I put it back together. I haven't measured it, but it's close to level or sometimes looks like the front might be slightly higher than the rear. I actually might have left the top spacer out if I realized it wasn't stock at the time, but it looks fine so I'm just going to leave it for now. I only took it on a short test drive after I got done so far, but it seemed to ride much nicer than the old Ranchos that I took off. 

9 minutes ago, truckmann said:

I don't know what's best, but I just put my front 5100s on last night. My truck already had the RC spacers so I left the 5100s at the stock setting and re-used the spacers. I also found I have what looks to be a 1/2" strut spacer on top which I didn't realize wasn't a factory piece until after I put it back together. I haven't measured it, but it's close to level or sometimes looks like the front might be slightly higher than the rear. I actually might have left the top spacer out if I realized it wasn't stock at the time, but it looks fine so I'm just going to leave it for now. I only took it on a short test drive after I got done so far, but it seemed to ride much nicer than the old Ranchos that I took off. 

Thanks for the info truckmann. Did you buy a strut compressor tool to assist in the install?

1 minute ago, Fultonm11 said:

Thanks for the info truckmann. Did you buy a strut compressor tool to assist in the install?

I already had one that I bought a few years ago like this. http://a.co/d/iDAVVvo 

The install is complicated a little bit by already having the RC spacer since (if they are installed correctly) the nuts are on the bottom, which means the front axle is in the way to remove the rear bolt. I had to unhook the top ball joint and the steering linkage to be able to get that bolt out. Still wasn't very difficult though just a few extra nuts to remove. 

36 minutes ago, truckmann said:

I already had one that I bought a few years ago like this. http://a.co/d/iDAVVvo 

The install is complicated a little bit by already having the RC spacer since (if they are installed correctly) the nuts are on the bottom, which means the front axle is in the way to remove the rear bolt. I had to unhook the top ball joint and the steering linkage to be able to get that bolt out. Still wasn't very difficult though just a few extra nuts to remove. 

Right on. I installed mine, nuts on bottom, so I imagine I will run into the same scenario. Thanks for your input. 

Edited by Fultonm11

11 hours ago, Move Over said:

Hey guys, I've done my best to answer all my own questions by reading through this thread but i wanted to know if anyone has looked in to the eibach shocks. It looks like they are comparable in price and they look almost the same, but come with more lift. I'm really only wanting a .75" lift over stock as i tow pretty frequently. 

Does anyone in here have photos of their 5100's set to the first or second  lift point? Also, if anyone who is reading has the eibach shocks, feel free to comment on how you are liking them, 

Thanks 

I read and read... lol   a ton of information on here,  unfortunately not too much on the Eibach's...   that being said I ordered their "pro-truck lift" ( https://eibach.com/us/i-8809-pro-truck-lift-system-stage-1.html ) which I was able to get for a little under $500 through Jegs... should be here this week, then getting it installed / aligned before I start figuring out what size tires I will be able to fit.. (again wow there is a lot of information on here, too bad not everyone experiences the same things...  This is on a 16' Sierra All-Terrain crew cab, short box.  I will let you know how it goes for me... not happy with the stock Rancho's...

I read and read... lol   a ton of information on here,  unfortunately not too much on the Eibach's...   that being said I ordered their "pro-truck lift" ( https://eibach.com/us/i-8809-pro-truck-lift-system-stage-1.html ) which I was able to get for a little under $500 through Jegs... should be here this week, then getting it installed / aligned before I start figuring out what size tires I will be able to fit.. (again wow there is a lot of information on here, too bad not everyone experiences the same things...  This is on a 16' Sierra All-Terrain crew cab, short box.  I will let you know how it goes for me... not happy with the stock Rancho's...

I actually got the Billy’s ordered today since i had a coupon for summit and they price matched amazon and some other retailer. 280 shipped for all 4 lol. Couldn’t beat that with a stick!

What made you go with the eibachs over the bils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Move Over said:

I actually got the Billy’s ordered today since i had a coupon for summit and they price matched amazon and some other retailer. 280 shipped for all 4 lol. Couldn’t beat that with a stick!

What made you go with the eibachs over the bils?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly.... a few of the reviews I had read, AND I really like the fact that they do not re-use the factory springs (come with their own)... I can get the level / lift I want without any strut spacers... etc..  yea more money, but hopefully worth it  =)

1 minute ago, bcj001 said:

Honestly.... a few of the reviews I had read, AND I really like the fact that they do not re-use the factory springs (come with their own)... I can get the level / lift I want without any strut spacers... etc..  yea more money, but hopefully worth it  =)

Oh neat i didn't realize you got the whole setup with springs. Yeah i don't like the idea of preloading the spring but the most I am going is 1.25" so figure cant be that bad. I did 2.75" on my tacoma and that rode like hell. 

Just had the dealership install the Bilsteins on top setting and new Continental TerrainContact 275-60-20 tires. The price was amazing and really glad I have a good rapport  with the Service Manager. The stance is perfect with just a slight rake and I now understand what others have said about the ride quality.. no regrets at all!! I don't have many miles on the tires but there was an immediate difference with traction on wet roads, handling and the road noise is no different the SRAs.  

I have a 2" level kit(spacers" installed up front, and a set of 2" blocks in the back, and 33's with stock wheels.

Can I add a new set of shocks, on top of my current spacer kits, to get an extra inch or two, while also getting a better ride on and off road, than the stock Ranchero's?  

Or with regards to the front struts, is it longer shock OR spacer kits, but not both together?

5 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

I have a 2" level kit(spacers" installed up front, and a set of 2" blocks in the back, and 33's with stock wheels.

Can I add a new set of shocks, on top of my current spacer kits, to get an extra inch or two, while also getting a better ride on and off road, than the stock Ranchero's?  

Or with regards to the front struts, is it longer shock OR spacer kits, but not both together?

Very ill advised to stack that. Anything over 2.5" will drastically accelerate suspension wear. You'd want to consider uca replacements and maybe even a diff drop. 

There are 3"-3.5" kits that exist and some people run with success, but most of them include uca and diff drop. 

The further you stretch your suspension the rougher the ride will get. Better shocks will help offset some of that, but not completely.