Bilstein shocks thread

Yeah, I guess I will just need to drive over to one of the local shops, there are a few good ones here, and let them inspect my truck and see what we can come up with.

I don't need a monster truck, but I wouldn't mind a little more lift and a little nicer ride on and off road.

On 10/2/2018 at 7:55 PM, parshal said:

I don't want a full 2" lift and am contemplating moving the fronts to the .75" or 1.25" setting and adding another inch to the rear.  I've seen numerous posts where the 1.25" setting is more like 1.5".  I've found two posts where the poster has theirs at the .75" setting.  One said it gave .75" and the other said 1".  If it's 1" I'll probably move to that setting.  I'd really like the 1.25" if that's what it really does.

To follow up on this for future searchers.  I moved the ring to the second setting from the bottom.  It yielded almost 1" of lift in the front.  If I had to be precise I'd say around 7/8" or a smidge more.

On 3/25/2018 at 7:34 PM, tanner709 said:

It will essentially level the truck, with <1/2" difference at the fender height measured at the center of the wheels.

IMG 0350resize

Sorry to ask a stupid question but I'm new to this leveling stuff.  So all you did is install the Bilstein 5100's at max height 1.85?  It looks pretty levele to me.

All I want to do is level my 2018 crew cab Sierra.

8 hours ago, KJS Sullivan said:

If I ordered 5100 Bilstein shocks on a vehicle that is stock, then later go to a 3 or 4 inch lift will the shocks have to be replaced?

Depends on the lift. BDS would replace, zone you could use bilstein up front. I'm not sure about others. 

Rear shocks would have to be replaced. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, 8086BRUCE said:

I added 5100's this week. 3rd setting. Also 275/60r20 cooper AT3 4s tires. Like the setup.  Much better ride and handling compared to the stock Ranchos. 

20181019_175344.jpg

Factory Ranchos should be outlawed! LOL

Sooo....  If I have the stock Ranchos and a 2" level kit and 2 or 3" lift out back(axle blocks)...  Can I just get a better ride with new shocks?  Probably nothing too fancy and I don't need any more lift I guess, but if I can get a better quality ride on and off road by just bolting on some new shocks, what are the best bang for the buck for my setup?

1 hour ago, SquireSCA said:

Sooo....  If I have the stock Ranchos and a 2" level kit and 2 or 3" lift out back(axle blocks)...  Can I just get a better ride with new shocks?  Probably nothing too fancy and I don't need any more lift I guess, but if I can get a better quality ride on and off road by just bolting on some new shocks, what are the best bang for the buck for my setup?

From what I have read the Bilsteins are much better than the ranchos. Much...

I would find the lowest price online that you can, and have summit match it. That's what i did and landed about ~300 shipped for all 4 corners from summit. GL

7 hours ago, SquireSCA said:

Cool.  The problem will be getting them installed.  I need a lift and all that, because I assume I have to take the front strut off and apart?

Not necessarily... I did mine in my driveway, not on a lift. Yes, you pull and disassemble the shock/spring, but you can do that using a jack, jack stands, etc...

Same here. Did mine in the driveway with jack stands. Used a cheap spring compressor to move springs over. I had to unbolt my top ball joint too since my truck already had the RC spacer on it.  It was really pretty easy though.